10-08-2019 12:41 PM
48 12
tools
    If your screen is black and doesn't even show anything when you re-boot, then it's likely a screen or display driver issue. If you can get an MHL cable to test it out, you can connect the tablet to a TV via HDMI. If the TV displays something but your screen doesn't, the screen is likely busted. If the TV doesn't display anything or has a garbled image, your screen might be OK but your display driver might be fried.
    01-14-2015 02:14 PM
    Hello all.
    Same issue with mine recently. To cut a long story short, tablet went in for repair 3 times. Each time the repair centre could not find a fault and it came back working ok. I felt a right prat. Within a week or so my tablet screen would go blank. Bottom buttons still would light up, it would reboot but still black screen.

Eventually, i found out what the problem was. My note 2014 didn't like the case i was using. It was one of these magnetic cases which put the tablet to sleep when cover closed. Now not using a case and no problems with tablet for 3 months.
    Perhaps this will help someone. I was on the verge of smashing the tablet on the floor.
    01-15-2015 12:16 PM
    Hi Cordy:

I have the same issue, just dropped it off for repair for the third time. I am interested as to what case you were using. My case has the magnetic closure and is produced by Poetic. Puts it to sleep as you describe.

Also, do you know if this known issue? Is it all cases with the magnetic closure and sleep mode?
    03-08-2015 03:55 PM
    My Note experienced this problem recently, about 1 year of service. Worked fine in Church one morning, by the time I got home, it wasn't working. I could reboot, get the screen to stay on until it timed out, then it was black, but volume buttons continued to work. Tried letting battery die out, and then charge back up - no change. Did a factory restore, no change.

Finally, called Samsung. Unit went in for repairs, the listed repair was "remove/replace display panel". Costs were covered by Samsung in my case (YMMV). Device has worked like a charm since it was returned.

I do have a case, with a light magnetic closure. I do not use the "sleep unlock" mode when I open it.
    03-09-2015 10:39 AM
    I just opened mine up to re-seat the dipslay connection. The plastic bit goes on the inside of the rear case, and the two metal connection points connect to the two pins that you can see in your image. Try glueing it in place.
    04-27-2015 02:53 AM
    Dropped mine again yesterday.
    I was glad to have done this before so I didn't panic.
    I used kapton tape this time.
    Worried glue could/will cause a problem with battery replacement.
    04-27-2015 09:11 AM
    If your screen is black and doesn't even show anything when you re-boot, then it's likely a screen or display driver issue. If you can get an MHL cable to test it out, you can connect the tablet to a TV via HDMI. If the TV displays something but your screen doesn't, the screen is likely busted. If the TV doesn't display anything or has a garbled image, your screen might be OK but your display driver might be fried.
    I tried plugging into a TV. It's displaying from the tv but not the tablet. How can I fix it?
    04-29-2015 01:12 PM
    I tried plugging into a TV. It's displaying from the tv but not the tablet. How can I fix it?
    If the device is displaying your screen correctly on a TV then it's definitely a screen problem. You need to replace it, unfortunately. But before you do, a repair center might check to see if the screen is completely dead or if it's just a connector that's loose inside your phone.
    04-29-2015 08:12 PM
    Dumb question, but have you turned it off? If not, just hold the Power button for as long as you can muster. Does it turn back on?

If not, try going into recovery. Usually on a phone you take out the battery and then put it back in, but since this doesn't have a removable one... Just make sure the tablet is off (or wait for it to 'die'). Then press POWER, HOME, AND VOLUME UP buttons at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds. This should boot your device into recovery mode; if your screen comes to life, your hardware is fine. If it doesn't, then something got fried inside (or maybe a loose connector...those happen).
    What do u do after the screen come on in the recovery mode
    05-31-2015 10:59 AM
    mine is the same way and i dont know what to do i need help as well,my buttons work and light up,theres song but my screen is black
    07-26-2015 08:12 PM
    Felicia
    Try reseating the video display cable.
    It's worked a number of times for me
    07-26-2015 08:31 PM

The LCD cable is on the left side, Reconnect and make sure to secure the black locking tab with tape to prevent it loosing again. The line on LCD cable should be aligned with the line on main board, otherwise it's not fully inserted into the connector. Turn it on, it should work, then you can close the rear case.
    07-26-2015 09:26 PM
    Mine got gray in different places of the screen. This worked!

Mine dosent have tape in the cables.....
    08-19-2015 06:33 AM
    worked for me also --

Removing BOTH cables was the key, not just one.
    11-05-2015 07:36 PM
    Great post! Saved my tablet! Took 5 mins after looking at a video on how to do it. Shredded the edge of my credit card though.
    12-31-2015 03:15 PM
    I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Started using it. Lasted about 1/2 hour. Screen blacked out. The Home and Return Keys stayed lite. The screen then would flash off and on.
    Tried holding the Volume and Power keys. It rebooted and again lasted about 1/2 hour, maybe less.
    Contacted Samsung (got someone in Bangladesh or some other 3rd world country. They said I'd have to send it back (2 week turn around) . VERY PISSED right now.
    Will advise when I get it back.
    01-08-2016 10:12 AM
    That just happened to me i was freaking out but i tried memorising the buttons to switch it off did t work but 1 thing that did was if hold in the power button and the hone button ur tablet will switch off then u switch it back on and it should be back to normal
    06-21-2016 03:17 PM
    I can confirm this works %100!
    I did EXACTLY as stated for battery, and all cables and making sure they're reconnected making very sure the white lines meet as marked on motherboard. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!! You saved my tablet! God bless
    11-12-2016 10:48 AM
    worked for me also --

Removing BOTH cables was the key, not just one.
    The cable on the right is for charging, nothing related to display. If your battery is connected, disconnect the flex cable of USB port,turn it on, your tablet still displays normally without it. So there is no point of try reconnecting the USB flex for display problem.
    11-26-2016 04:22 PM
    Attachment 137464So I had the horrible black screen of brick after dropping this thing all of two feet onto carpet. Just before I threw it in the trash I saw a post that saved the day. Well I had to take the rear panel off to do the two minute fix and was ecstatic. Now the problem is that I can't get it back on properly and there is not any videos on the 2014 around yet.

The issue is a one inch, long plastic piece that is on the same side as the stylus. It is the only loose piece inside the rear case. I have tried every single angle and configuration but it always feels like I am going to break something if I try to close it all the way.

I am guessing that the piece has something to do with the WiFi because my range has been drastically reduced since the fix.

Any ideas will be appreciated. ThanksAttachment 137463
    Im having the same problem did you manage to fix the issue my WiFi signal is so bad jowb
    12-26-2017 05:54 PM
    As for my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, I think I've found the culprit. I had the same issue where the screen went black but removing the back reattaching the screen cable fixed it temporarily.

What I did to fix was go to "Lock screen" setting and set the "Lock automatically" to "immediately".

Ever since I have done it, the issue has gone. It seems there's a software issue but god only knows.

I hope this solution works for others too.
    09-04-2018 03:15 PM
    My Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" Tablet went to the Black Screen of Death condition and I managed to restore it to life without opening the case.

If the Screen is Blank and the Tablet is unresponsive....

1) Check that the Processor is still running:

Press the Power Button once for 5 seconds
    Press the Volume Up button several times and listen for a ping on each Press. This indicates that the Processor is running and the SHUTDOWN and RESTART Icons are on the Screen (but you can't see them) !

2) The Shutdown Button is about 1cm above centre and the Restart button is about 1cm below Centre of screen

Tap the Screen at the Restart Position..... This will bring up the Confirm button in the CENTRE of the Screen (Still invisible). Tap the Centre of the Screen Once ... The Tablet will shutdown and Restart .... You will have to enter the Pin Code using the Screen Keyboard.
    11-30-2018 08:53 AM
    Hello, I have same problem. The screen of my tablet is extremely dark, BUT the touchscreen is working and sometimes I can see somthing on the screen if a put a flashlight close to it. I did everything on the topic (Recovery mode, cable thing...) and nothing worked. Anyone can help me ?
    Thankss
    10-08-2019 12:41 PM
48 12