Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) Screen stays Black but audio buttons work

Neil Silverman

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Went away on a trip and forgot my charger. Tab was dead for a week and finally recharged it when I got home. No damage what-so-ever. Just bought it a few weeks ago and now when I power it up after overnight charge, the screen is black but you can press the home and back button which lights up and beeps. the audio button beeps louder/softer but screen is black.

help?!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question, but have you turned it off? If not, just hold the Power button for as long as you can muster. Does it turn back on?

If not, try going into recovery. Usually on a phone you take out the battery and then put it back in, but since this doesn't have a removable one... Just make sure the tablet is off (or wait for it to 'die'). Then press POWER, HOME, AND VOLUME UP buttons at the same time and hold for about 5 seconds. This should boot your device into recovery mode; if your screen comes to life, your hardware is fine. If it doesn't, then something got fried inside (or maybe a loose connector...those happen).

albogs

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
This happened to my Note 2014 a week in, I had bought it from amazon. No resets work so it had to be a hardware issue. I returned it and bought another from Best Buy with there extended Christmas return time frame. Its been smooth sailing and Ive still got a little over a month to return it. Hoping the first one was a dud especially since the plastic on the screen was all out of alignment when I had first opened it.

Russell Estridge

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
This happened to my Note 2014 a week in, I had bought it from amazon. No resets work so it had to be a hardware issue. I returned it and bought another from Best Buy with there extended Christmas return time frame. Its been smooth sailing and Ive still got a little over a month to return it. Hoping the first one was a dud especially since the plastic on the screen was all out of alignment when I had first opened it.

When you returned it to amazon was your bit warranty tripped?

Felicia Ortiz

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
my notepad 10.1 screen is black and cant see anything on it,but all the buttons work but the screen is still black what can i do???? my boyfriend brought it for my birthday but i dropped my notepad and now the screen doesn't work its completely black cant see anything on it......is there a way i can fix it although it has a warranty on it

CoachDMurray1

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
my notepad 10.1 screen is black and cant see anything on it,but all the buttons work but the screen is still black what can i do???? my boyfriend brought it for my birthday but i dropped my notepad and now the screen doesn't work its completely black cant see anything on it......is there a way i can fix it although it has a warranty on it

I had the same problem. Samsung has no official answer for this other than to send it back to them and you'll get it back in up to 14 business days. I did find a fix. Remove the back cover with a credit card or computer repairs tools, and disconnect BOTH the cable to the battery and to the screen. To do this, there's what looks like a black bar that runs horizontally across each cable connection. Carefully lift that up to release the cables. Wait up to a minute, then reconnect them. It may a couple of times to do it, but it worked , and even some of the other bugs I had is gone as well. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

KiwiGrrl

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that this worked for me just this weekend. Tablet took a tumble, screen worked but one corner was dark, rebooted and got the black screen. There are YouTube vids showing how to remove the back. Good luck!

... sent from the road

donamor

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for sharing that . I did make a mistake and started removing the front screen cover but no damage- make sure you know the right version. this Note 10.1 does allow for back plate removal. removed camera plate, screws, then whole plate - using a guitar pick worked for me. disconnected power then screen cables on both side (it is the far right cable if looking at it from bottom connector side facing you. connected all and turned it on- it worked - all back together. :)

Courtney Stearns

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for posting this fix. I just tried it and re-seated the battery and both black cables. Disconnect the battery first so that you don't damage the devices by shorting out a connection. I'm happy to report that for now at least it seems to have corrected all the black screen (or fading issues). Note that you can actually take off the back cover using your fingernails by gently but firmly pulling the bezel away from the screen all the way around the device. I would not recommend using any sort of metal tool because the bezel is plastic and it gets dinged very easily. Also, there are yellow pieces of semi-transparent tape that you should carefully remove and set aside so that they can be re-used to help keep the cables in place to avoid this issue from happening again. Also note that if the retailer or Samsung sees that the yellow tape is missing or other signs that you have opened the device (such as a dinged bezel), they could claim that your warranty is void; so do-it-yourself fixer's beware.

Ken Triplett

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem, black screen and would not play video in full screen mode but seemed to work otherwise. Last night I opened it up (used a guitar pick) did the cable thing as described but screen remained black afterwards. It was dark so I was using a flashlight and I could see some slight movement on the screen if I swiped my finger across it. I shined the light directly on the screen at close range and could see that it was working. I was able to see well enough to restart the tablet and that solved the problem, screen came back and all display issues were gone! Thanks for the tips and saving me the hassle of repair. Super easy to do also!

Posted via Android Central App

Marcel Coenen

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this fix !

This worked !
We have the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition, did remove the back with a guitar pick (you can also use a credit card or something similar) and disconnected the two cables to the battery, waited a minute, put them back on and the tablet is back alive !
It also started here with a little corner black, then we did a reboot and got the black screen of Death, so thanks again for the solution !

harrychimp71

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
This method worked for me as well. Used a credit card to detach the back. Disconnected the two display cables. Reinstalled after a minute. Closed the back and restarted the tablet. All works now.

Tahn Zia

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My audio works sound works and displays light indication but the screen is black and stays black and its only since I havnt had it on for weeks .How do I solve this issue

joel seegobin

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thnx for this thread my 2014 10.1 took a minor tumble no cracks or anything but the screen went black ...sound and everything else was fine. I watched the neweggers vid on replacing the battery and saw he got at the front of the device to open it......know your model!!!!! So used my fingernails and a piece of a debit card...my advice do not do the safemode thing just get the back off unplug the batt first and those two cables....you have to pry the batt connector straight up .....I unplugged the screen cables first not thinking......i realize i could have shorted something ....so unplug the batt first..... anyway sat for a min with it all unplugged and put it back together and voila it all works again......no safemode nonsense

Nicknas

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
20140918_162546.jpgSo I had the horrible black screen of brick after dropping this thing all of two feet onto carpet. Just before I threw it in the trash I saw a post that saved the day. Well I had to take the rear panel off to do the two minute fix and was ecstatic. Now the problem is that I can't get it back on properly and there is not any videos on the 2014 around yet.

The issue is a one inch, long plastic piece that is on the same side as the stylus. It is the only loose piece inside the rear case. I have tried every single angle and configuration but it always feels like I am going to break something if I try to close it all the way.

I am guessing that the piece has something to do with the WiFi because my range has been drastically reduced since the fix.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks20140918_162817.jpg

terrijohnson

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Black screen of death on my samsung galaxy tab 4 SM-T230NU

Hey spook droid i really need your help i have the same problem (black screen of death),but when i try to reboot it just restarts what do i do. I HAVE ALREADY tried doing the hold power button side button and home button at the same time an dit worked but then like 5 minutes later it went back to black screen. HELP PLEASE

ABKudva

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for this guidance. I can confirm this also worked for me on my 2014 Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2" tablet. Opened the back cover carefully using a credit card and then unplugged the two black cables from where they connect onto the circuit board. To unplug these cables you need to first rotate the small black connector levers at the connection point, this releases the cable. Similarly when you plus the cables back just twist and close the black levers to secure them

joshgoldman

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I am so glad I found this thread. I dropped by Note from the bed to the carpet, and the screen flickered and died. I almost had a heart attack! After reading the thread, I removed the BACK COVER and disconnected and reconnected both the battery and LCD cables. The hardest part was removing the back cover. Be sure to release the cables using the little black lever on the connector pin assembly. As soon as I was finished, the screen was back. Thanks a million! :D

omgpk2133

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm that this works. I had bought my mother one for Christmas last year and earlier tonight she dropped it. She then proceeded to blame me and told me I couldn't fix it. Now me being me, I initially had to believe it was the ribbon cable.Now before I attempted the removal of the back plate I googled it for S's and G's (s#!+s and giggles) and sure enough I stumbled upon this thread. I used nothing more then my own thumbnail and reseated all the ribbon cables. Then after powering it back on of course it works. Then my mother proceeds to still yell at me for taking it apart and fixing it. I can't win. But for anyone having this issue this should fix it.

md fasi

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I can also confirm. It worked for me. I removed the 2 black cables, unplug the battery and put it back. And my note 10.1 is back. Thanks for the reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781