Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) keyboard/typing issues

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
couple of things

1. the space bar seems to have a mind of it's own and tends to add spaces to words

2. the predictive text/autocorrect drives me nuts. can that be totally turned off? I've tried both the stock kb and my Swype kb. about the same

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Use SwiftKey. There's a reason it is the top selling app above all other apps in the Play Store

Posted via Android Central App

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
isn't SwiftKey what comes on it?

No. It is a separate app you download, and it replaced the stock keyboard or whatever keyboard you're using. I think they have a free trial. Check it out and I bet you'll like it

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I did try that. the keyboard is laid out way too wide. I turned off all the predictive and autocorrect on the stock kb, but the settings for Swype kb are not as detailed. I'll keep messing around with both. nothing is easy huh.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I did try that. the keyboard is laid out way too wide. I turned off all the predictive and autocorrect on the stock kb, but the settings for Swype kb are not as detailed. I'll keep messing around with both. nothing is easy huh.

Did you try the swiftkey split keyboard options, as well as the different size options? At least we have keyboard options with Android, right? If you had an ipad you'd be out of luck

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you try the swiftkey split keyboard options, as well as the different size options? At least we have keyboard options with Android, right? If you had an ipad you'd be out of luck

ya tried all the options, guess I'm a Swype fan. as for ipad, well if I had one I would not be me. I'm a VERY NON i-whatever /apple/closed system person ;-)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey IS pre-installed in your tablet. Just not as a standalone app. The Samsung Keyboard is powered by SwiftKey's engine, so the same magic that makes SwiftKey tick (at least in the current version) is already in your Samsung Keyboard. You CAN turn predictions off, as stated above. Just like you, I HATE SwiftKey's layout on a tablet, especially in landscape mode; they royally screwed up the bottom letter row. It's incredible how a tiny shift in position can have such a bad impact on a keyboard.

Anyway, I like SwiftKey because of the Cloud sync and how my predictions can 'jump' from all my devices (which Samsung didn't license, so it's not in their own keyboard), but until they fix the layout on a tablet, I'm sticking to Samsung's.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah, but I don't love Swype :p hehe I do like my predictions accurate, and SwiftKey/Samsung Keyboard do a pretty good darn job at it. Spooky sometimes.

katweedy

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I also have a keyboard issue. I just got my new tablet in the mail. It's my first (I got the 2014 version) and I tried to enable swype and now I have no keyboard at all. Only the notepad pops up on the bottom and I can't seem to figure out how to get my keyboard back. I reset the keyboard to factory settings, and still nothing. Anything else I can do?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey IS pre-installed in your tablet. Just not as a standalone app. The Samsung Keyboard is powered by SwiftKey's engine, so the same magic that makes SwiftKey tick (at least in the current version) is already in your Samsung Keyboard. You CAN turn predictions off, as stated above. Just like you, I HATE SwiftKey's layout on a tablet, especially in landscape mode; they royally screwed up the bottom letter row. It's incredible how a tiny shift in position can have such a bad impact on a keyboard.

Anyway, I like SwiftKey because of the Cloud sync and how my predictions can 'jump' from all my devices (which Samsung didn't license, so it's not in their own keyboard), but until they fix the layout on a tablet, I'm sticking to Samsung's.

I don't understand the beef with the bottom row? If you hit the swiftkey icon on the bottom row, it let's you change the keyboard size, change to split, and change the size of the split as well. I type a LOT on this device, and haven't noticed a problem with the bottom row

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
so with the Samsung kb , the Swift key option is grayed out when predictive text is turned off. of the 3 kb choices, full, split or float, none really work well for me. I can really fly entering text by swiping, but this kb just will not cooperate with me. The std one too wide, don't like split, and the float one is too small. I do like the numbers row on top but the rest is just a no go for me.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The stock keyboard may share the prediction engine, but it has nothing on the real thing. Try these SwiftKey customizations and you'll never look back :

Set your keyboard to split and undocked. I also shrunk the size down a notch. Now you can type easily with two thumbs, and the keyboard doesn't obscure the middle of the screen.

Set your Long press delay to 200ms. Pretty much the only time I ever go to the symbol screen is for the arrow keys. Sometimes the tilde and back slash. This is why the number row is unnecessary.

Use the swipe left across the keyboard to erase entire words. This is so handy I can't live without it.

What would make SwiftKey absolutely perfect is if I could custom map symbols to long press buttons and have a transperancy slider so I could see under the keyboard.

Even so, there is no keyboard that even comes close for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome