lag when surfing the web

Marc Kaluza

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.... New to the forum and new to android. I've just purchase a Note 10.1 2014. I'm disappointed with the experience when web browsing, when I'm scrolling through pages I see Lag (with every stroke up) this is disappointing my experience of the product ! I purchased this Note as my first Android after reading the beefy specs it has. Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It is pretty common for some android devices. I recommend using Next browser. It is closed to ios performance. Close, but it is not same as ios. if you want web surfing alone, ipad air is the best. That is my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Install Nova launcher. Samsung's touch whiz can lag, and Nova can take care of that. Run Google Chrome, and make sure all your apps have been updated, then restart your device and try it again. I doubt you'll have any lag

Posted via Android Central App

Marc Kaluza

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys... I will try your suggestions. I have one more question I hope you can help me with. I am looking to purchase a micro 64gb micro usb card for the device. My question, I can purchase these anywhere from ?40 to ?130 depending on the brand.

Will I see a benefit if I go for an expensive card ? I am looking at the Scandisk Extreme Pro 64gb (which from reviews is the fastest card currently out) or should I go for a mid priced card.

Finally once it is installed can I put apps etc onto it to free up my internal memory ( only the 16gb machine is available here in the uk)

Thanks

Marc Kaluza

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Misterb... per your suggestion I have moved to nova launcher..... my 2014 is like a different machine..... its UNBELIEVABLE, massively faster and no lag. I am amazed and very happy with your advice. Prior to this action I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake by not buying apple... For sure now the 2014 is beginning to live up to my expectations ! Are there anything else I should do to make the device "smoke" )

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Misterb... per your suggestion I have moved to nova launcher..... my 2014 is like a different machine..... its UNBELIEVABLE, massively faster and no lag. I am amazed and very happy with your advice. Prior to this action I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake by not buying apple... For sure now the 2014 is beginning to live up to my expectations ! Are there anything else I should do to make the device "smoke" )

Glad to hear it! That SD card you're looking at is a good one. Get a new brand higher end like you are, and you should be fine. I have a SanDisk 32gig that I bought, because that seemed to be the sweet spot for price, and I already had a 32gig tablet, so I figured that was enough storage for me. Yes, you can install and run apps on the card.

Keep in mind that apps you open stay open in the background. You can have one that's a resource hog, or That's crashed. So, press and hold the middle home button, then select task manager. Click end on any that are in red or close them all periodically if you'd like

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that apps you open stay open in the background. You can have one that's a resource hog, or That's crashed. So, press and hold the middle home button, then select task manager. Click end on any that are in red or close them all periodically if you'd like

Thanks for posting this tip, very useful and not obvious to people like me. This Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is my first large tablet and my first Samsung device. Now that I've apparently gotten the YouTube problem solved (uninstalled and then reinstalled the app), I'm liking it so much that I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Note phone to replace my Razr
Maxx.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this tip, very useful and not obvious to people like me. This Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition is my first large tablet and my first Samsung device. Now that I've apparently gotten the YouTube problem solved (uninstalled and then reinstalled the app), I'm liking it so much that I'm thinking of getting the Samsung Note phone to replace my Razr
Maxx.

Oh, you'd love the Note 3. That's the phone I have. I had the Note 2 before this one and it was great too

Marc Kaluza

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Misterb can you recommend to me a good / the best battery app and or some tips on conserving my battery ? Currently I'm running out of juice very quickly. I am not a heavy user mostly surfing and YouTube etc. As you suggested i regularly press the home button and kill the apps i don't use i have the screen set to Auto and have only 4 or so widgets running. Thanks

cwy

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I got lags in everything, then I updated the device (Settings, General, About Device, Software Update) and the lags went away, even with TouchWiz. I've since installed Nova Launcher and it's, of course, much better with customizable home screen grid size and everything.

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Misterb can you recommend to me a good / the best battery app and or some tips on conserving my battery ? Currently I'm running out of juice very quickly. I am not a heavy user mostly surfing and YouTube etc. As you suggested i regularly press the home button and kill the apps i don't use i have the screen set to Auto and have only 4 or so widgets running. Thanks

One trick is to set your background and lock screen to a completely black image. If you don't have one, take a pic of your black t shirt at night in a closet or something and set the picture as your home and lock screen. Those live background images can take up resources. Disable blue tooth, gps, and smart stay (unless you really do use them). Use auto brightness for your screen, and if it's too dark here and there, switch it off but keep the brightness low to about 20%. Charge your device every night. Once the honeymoon phase is over, things should settle and you'll find it'll easily last you all day and evening until you go to bed

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have lag so much while surfing the net but I get a HELL of a lag when using the file manager!!! It takes over a minute just to launch the "My Files" app. Then when moving or copying files, it almost crashes the file manager every time (basically it times out and then asks me if I want to "close" or "wait"?).

Anyone else having this problem or found a solution for it? This is surely turning out to be a Love/Hate tablet! Having a Note 2 and Note 3, I love the s-pen features of the Note 10.1 (2014) but it really seems very "buggy." I saw the suggestion here to try Nova Launcher which I might do once I get home, but are there any other suggestions for dealing with major lag on this tablet? Thanks.

P.S.- Per a recommendation, I already tried the app "SD Booster" which helped a little, but the problem quickly came back.

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't have lag so much while surfing the net but I get a HELL of a lag when using the file manager!!! It takes over a minute just to launch the "My Files" app. Then when moving or copying files, it almost crashes the file manager every time (basically it times out and then asks me if I want to "close" or "wait"?).

Anyone else having this problem or found a solution for it? This is surely turning out to be a Love/Hate tablet! Having a Note 2 and Note 3, I love the s-pen features of the Note 10.1 (2014) but it really seems very "buggy." I saw the suggestion here to try Nova Launcher which I might do once I get home, but are there any other suggestions for dealing with major lag on this tablet? Thanks.

P.S.- Per a recommendation, I already tried the app "SD Booster" which helped a little, but the problem quickly came back.

What brand and class of SD card are you running? If it's a slow and cheap brand, or it has malfunctioned, it could be possible causing the slowness

Patterye

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I did not use that note. But i am worry about that complaint. Because i personally believe that new and advanced technology is more refined and it had lots of experiments and they launched in the market for the end users.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
What brand and class of SD card are you running? If it's a slow and cheap brand, or it has malfunctioned, it could be possible causing the slowness

Thanks for the response Misterb. I'm using a brand new Sandisk card which is all I use in all of my Android devices (I believe it's class 10, but it's at home so I can't check it at the moment). I have been experimenting with deleting certain apps/utilities and changing settings to figure out what's causing this lag. At this point, I kinda believe that it's a combination of the apps I'm running as well as the "smart" menu options (e.g. smart stay, smart scroll, etc.) which I have now turned off. I have since noticed that the lag is less than before but this tablet still doesn't have that quick snappiness like my Note 2 and Note 3.

I tried your idea of the Nova Launcher, which was nice, but I still had terrible lag when doing file management in apps like My Files. Although things did get even a little bit better after I cleared the cache and data of the My Files app, but I shouldn't have to do that constantly.

I was also thinking about checking for software updates when I found that I could not receive them due to an error that says that my device is modified and therefore cannot get software updates. I'm currently on MK1 I believe, which should be the most current OS version since I just bought this tablet last week.

Let me know if you (or anyone else) has any other ideas for eliminating this crazy lag!!! Aside from that...this is a really nice tablet.

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's beginning to be Unbearable. Picked UP a Nexus and cant beleive how Smooth it is. With No Rom Support I'm really thinking about taking the note back . Exchanged my note Same Crap lag. Yes I tried Nova

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My Note has been working really nice for the last weeks. And I am pretty happy with Touchwiz after disabling those animation crab. Last night, all sudden it was so stutter and lag. But, after I reboot the Note and it is back to working great again. This is just normal reboot not hard reset or that nature. It was first time I have seen this happened. The web browser lag has to do a lot with javascript in browser. If you disable it, the web surfing is much much much better. The cons is: some site needs javascript enable for certain thing.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I was having a lot of troubles with lag on surfing, excessive buffering on YouTube and other video playback, browsers crashing, and generally slow performance. I did follow all of the recommendations that I could find, installed the Next browser, installed a different app launcher, I tried every suggestion I could find. Turn off all other apps using the settings function, etcetera. No luck with anything. I was about to return the tablet for a refund out of frustration.

Several people suggested that I might be having problems with my router, but I discounted that as an issue since I have multiple other devices including a 2012 Nexus 7 tablet, several smartphones, multiple laptops, a netbook, etcetera. None of those devices had any trouble whatsoever with my existing Netgear N series router.

As a last ditch effort, because I really want to love this tablet and did not want to return it, I thought why not try a brand new router, just in case. Here is the router that I purchased:

Amazon.com: Linksys AC1900 Dual Band SMART Wi-Fi Router (EA6900): Computers & Accessories
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC190...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3317345

I am very happy to report that after replacing my router with this new one (top of the line I guess) everything works perfectly. Lightning fast, no buffering at all, on youtube or any other website. No lag when surfing. No crashing browsers. The video is fantastic quality and speed. It's amazing. I'm so happy. I now love all aspects of my Galaxy Note 10.1, 2014 edition tablet. I hope this information is helpful to some of you other folks who have been having trouble with video playback, the YouTube app, lags while surfing, browser crashes, etc.