Polaris does not save Handwriting/marking over docs - pls solutions or altenatives

alex2014

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I want to add handwriting notes/markings/encirclement over documents mostly ebooks in .doc, .rtf , .pdf that i read, i've copy a lot of them on my micro SD card.

So if i open a .doc with POLARIS (feel free to make better recommendation) in reading mode it lets me to make diffrent handwriting over text, when i exit it says document has been modified - i select SAVE, but if i open again the file all my notes are gone. In Editing mode there's no feature to handwrite, i mean not marking, just to add text, tables,pictures.

Can you please give me some advice or recommend another replacement ? I just got the Note and still testing it but i thought samsung integrated well the pen with document editing suite, it was one of major reasons i bought the Note 2014, yet i find its more complicated then i was expecting , and what enoys me is the lack of information, don't get me wrong there's a lot of it on internet but spread out in small tips and topics.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I have experienced, when you use the S-Pen in screen write mode, which is what it takes to mark up anything , docs, screens, etc, what it does is take a screenshot of whatever you are looking at. Once you mark it up, and save it, it saves it as an image, and you can find it in your pictures > screenshots folder.

Others have also commented on other apps that let you do notes and stuff on pdf docs,

Hope that helps, at least some.

alex2014

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
i dont think taking screenshots will be of any help when you read a 2-300 pages e-book but i understand LECTURENOTE app provides better SPen management notes/over documents - mainly on PDF-s, maybe i shoud find a way to import my .DOC ebooks as PFD then use Spen to make notes on them.
I will test it.
Any other suggestions ? Tks.

PS: What app you recommend to convert .DOC to PDF ?

Last edited:

prince_totoro

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same issue, wasted hours on trying to get Polaris to work with Word documents generated in Win 7 and then marking them up in the Samsung Note. Those markups could be nicely done in Polaris, but they could not be seen when the files were then examined on Win 7 machines by my colleagues, which for me defeated the purpose. Finally concluded that the easiest thing to do (for me) was to take my Word documents in my laptop, export them as PDFs and mail them to my Samsung, mark them up in RepligoReader, then mail them to the intended recipient. The markups (which I do by "drawing on them" with the S-Pen, like old-school manuscript marking up - love it!) are preserved on the PDFs that others can see in Win 7. My group emails me several hundred page Word documents for marking up and this works well; used it over the break and marked up three documents this way.

This solution may not be suitable for you.

Christopher

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Word documents in my laptop, export them as PDFs and mail them to my Samsung,

Just a quick suggestion to save a bit of time and steps. Get Dropbox, then you can just save a copy of the pdf docs on your laptop to a Dropbox folder and have instant access to them on your Note.

Ji Yoon

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem but now know how to get around it. Try opening the file again with "fox it pdf" app. The handwritings re-appeared for me.
Situation 1: edited in polaris->opened in polaris and adobe, does not show the edit. opened foxit, edit shows up.
Situation 2: edited in foxitpdf->opened in adobe and foxit->shows the edit. Opened in polaris, does not show the edit.

Fox it however does not allow you to type on the pdf :((.. so I guess I will switch back and forth....

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
You need an editor that flattens the resulting pdf and most do not do a good job. If you work extensively with pdf files, Lecture Notes is it.

Sent via my Note 8