How can I my note 10.1 to display on my HDTV (Not Screen Mirroring)

burningfenix

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought my 10.1 about a month ago and im really loving it so far. I recently gave my mom for christmas an adapter so she could connect her ipad to our hdtv. I went out today to try and find the same thing but for the 10.1 and i bought a mhl to hdmi adapter and it does not work on my tv. I dont have a samsung tv so i cant do the screen mirroring. I want to get a adapter so i can connect my tablet to my tv so i can show my pictures, videos and other stuff. THanks!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you have your charger for the Note plugged into the adapter and then into the wall outlet? From what I have read, the tablet needs to be powered thru the MHL / HDMI adapter. I ordered this one from Amazon, it arrives today, Im curious to see how/if it works

Amazon.com: Menotek Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter IMPROVED WITH RCP (Remote Control Protocol) for Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Evo 4G Tablet, HTC Sensation 4G, Sprint Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy Nexus: Cell Phones & Accessories

Remember tho, this is JUST the adapter, you need an HDMI cable with it as well.

I'll let ya know how it works when I receive it later today

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that not all MHL cables are made the same. Samsung made a really bad move and changed the pinout from the Galaxy S2 to the Galaxy Note 2, so anything 'standard' won't work with newer Sammy phones. You NEED a device-specific MHL cable for this to work, and yes, in order for MHL to work, you need an external power source, but usually these adapters come with the 'extra' port for you to connect to an outlet or even an USB port in your TV.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Also remember that not all MHL cables are made the same. Samsung made a really bad move and changed the pinout from the Galaxy S2 to the Galaxy Note 2, so anything 'standard' won't work with newer Sammy phones. You NEED a device-specific MHL cable for this to work, and yes, in order for MHL to work, you need an external power source, but usually these adapters come with the 'extra' port for you to connect to an outlet or even an USB port in your TV.

Hmmm so do you think the one I got will not work?

Would this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B009XGK688/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388152764&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+mhl+adapter+galaxy+note+10.1+2014

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no :( there's even a review on the page that says it's not working on a Note 2, so I'm guessing this won't work on the newer Note 10.1, but I might be wrong... Like you said in another post, Samsung's documentation is poor and I really can't find the actual pinout for this thing...

UPADTE: Apparently you'll need this (or similar) to get it to work... (BESIDES the MHL adapter you got)
http://www.amazon.com/Original-Sams...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3351571

anon(527940)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I managed to do this with a Rocketfish MHL adapter. However be aware that the output is not 1080p. There will be black bars along the side of the TV and its not actually 1080p output, but 720p I believe. I tried and tried to find a solution to fixing the output resolution but there's nothing out there for this tablet at least, I ended up returning it because it looks really really bad.

I checked out solutions that people had for the Nexus 10 since it has the same screen resolution as our tablet, there was a script you would run in terminal emulator that someone had to change the screen resolution or something which requires root, however even with root it wont work on this tablet due to Touchwiz or something. Someone on XDA reported trying it and ending up in a bootloop and had to restore the tablet to stock with Odin. Not worth it imo. Screen mirroring might be the way to go if you can just find a Miracast dongle to plug into the TV.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
ughhh how annoying. So I need this AND the one I got? or find one like the one you posted that's not available.
First try the one you got, it might work. But if it doesn't, you'd need the one I posted additionally (adapter over adapter over adapter).

But the best choice (and cheaper in the end, maybe) if that one doesn't work is just to find a MHL adapter that's 'made' for this tablet. I believe if it says 11 pin it should be OK, but I haven't tried that, I only use screen mirroring via Samsung Link. The other option would be to get an AllShare (or Link or whatever they're calling it these days) standalone receiver, but I don't think those are too cheap.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ya I use the Samsung Link for my Samsung tv, but I have a lower end Visio non smart In my office that from time to time is like to be able to watch a movie from a dl'd file from the tablet. I use a Chromecast on that tv for Netflix, hbogo, Hulu, etc, but need the cable option for my own content

burningfenix

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I managed to do this with a Rocketfish MHL adapter. However be aware that the output is not 1080p. There will be black bars along the side of the TV and its not actually 1080p output, but 720p I believe. I tried and tried to find a solution to fixing the output resolution but there's nothing out there for this tablet at least, I ended up returning it because it looks really really bad.

I checked out solutions that people had for the Nexus 10 since it has the same screen resolution as our tablet, there was a script you would run in terminal emulator that someone had to change the screen resolution or something which requires root, however even with root it wont work on this tablet due to Touchwiz or something. Someone on XDA reported trying it and ending up in a bootloop and had to restore the tablet to stock with Odin. Not worth it imo. Screen mirroring might be the way to go if you can just find a Miracast dongle to plug into the TV.

What rocket fish adapter did you use? I bought the rocket fish one as well but I couldn't get any picture to show up on the screen.

Kinda sucks you need to go through so much trouble to link your tablet and tv if the tv is not a Samsung one

Posted via Android Central App

anon(527940)

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What rocket fish adapter did you use? I bought the rocket fish one as well but I couldn't get any picture to show up on the screen.

Kinda sucks you need to go through so much trouble to link your tablet and tv if the tv is not a Samsung one

This was the one: Rocketfish HDMI to MHL Adapter (RF-G1171) : HDMI Accessories - Future Shop

Once again though, be aware that the output isn't going to be pretty if you have a 1080p TV. The problem isn't with the adapter but with Android and Samsung being stupid. The thing is if you play a 1080p video or something using the default Samsung video player, it will output at 1080p and look all nice and clean, but for everything else or any other apps, it will not. HDMI out on android needs some work because it seems like it's intentionally being crippled.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I want to get a adapter so i can connect my tablet to my tv so i can show my pictures, videos and other stuff. THanks!

By any chance do you have a PS3 or an XBox? If so, you can use the Media Server app and view photos and videos through the PS3 or XBox, I do it all the time and it works perfectly for me, even playing full 1080p movies. Keep in mind both your PS3 or XBOX and the tablet/phone need to be on the same Wifi network obviously. This is the app I use on my Galaxy S3 phone: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=es.mediaserver&hl=en&token=cn2PSJpy

Usage example: You turn on the PS3, launch Media Server on your device, go to the PS3 under what you want to access (videos, music, or photos) and you should see the device listed. You select it and it should show you all the files listed for that format. The PS3 separates each file type so under Photos in the PS3 you will only see photos listed. I also use the desktop version of the application in Ubuntu Linux to watch movies from my computer on my bigscreen HDTV. Pause, previous, next, and all those remote control commands still work though fast forward and rewind can lag a bit.

Rev.

burningfenix

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
By any chance do you have a PS3 or an XBox? If so, you can use the Media Server app and view photos and videos through the PS3 or XBox, I do it all the time and it works perfectly for me, even playing full 1080p movies. Keep in mind both your PS3 or XBOX and the tablet/phone need to be on the same Wifi network obviously. This is the app I use on my Galaxy S3 phone: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=es.mediaserver&hl=en&token=gqUl36Xl

Usage example: You turn on the PS3, launch Media Server on your device, go to the PS3 under what you want to access (videos, music, or photos) and you should see the device listed. You select it and it should show you all the files listed for that format. The PS3 separates each file type so under Photos in the PS3 you will only see photos listed. I also use the desktop version of the application in Ubuntu Linux to watch movies from my computer on my bigscreen HDTV. Pause, previous, next, and all those remote control commands still work though fast forward and rewind can lag a bit.

Rev.

Thanks ill try that out!

Just wondering, will either of these 2 work?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=4nBoCQfJ

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=HgGLa-0_

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
OK well as expected the one I got does not work, on either my Tab 3 7" or my Note 10.1 2014. I now ordered this:

Amazon.com: Patuoxun Micro USB 5 Pin to 11 Pin HDMI HDTV MHL Adapter Converter For Samsung S3 I9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

Hopefully together they will work. Its just kinda dumb/annoying, that on a $500 tablet, you still have to run in circles, to get extra cables/adapters etc, with NO useable help from Samsung.

Update: received above adapter for my adapter, connected it all up, selected the right hdmi input on the tv, the Note makes a little bell sound, but nothing on the tv. :-(. any ideas? Very frustrating, my 3 year old Acer Iconia, was able to flawlessly connect via hdmi, but my $500 hi tech Note can't

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

The newest rocketfish is 1080p

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya I really dont want to spend another 60 bucks, after forking over 500 bucks for a tablet do do something my 3 year old half the price tablet did with ease grrr

Mrteeth

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
What 3 year old tablet is able to that? I'm curious.

This is wireless technology. I'm not talking about putting your tablet on a 10foot HDMI cable and then connecting it to a TV. Who wants to do that?

I plug in this box to my TV. I connect to my GS4 phone and it works. If my wife wants to view something on her phone, It connects. If I want to view a movie on my Note, it works. No switching cables or anything.