Galaxy Note 10.1: My baby arrived last night 😊

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried writing your meeting notes with the handwriting to text feature on your keyboard? This converts your handwriting as you write, it is less cumbersome than doing it afterwards.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried writing your meeting notes with the handwriting to text feature on your keyboard? This converts your handwriting as you write, it is less cumbersome than doing it afterwards.

Hi, I did test that out and I found that it is too slow when it converts it as you write... when it messes up and then you have to go back to correct it you are already way behind if you are trying to take the minutes at a fast paced meeting. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks :) Unfortunately, aside from Dropbox, all the other free goodies are only available in the US.
Even if we were willing to pay, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, HBO Go or any other decent streaming service are not available in Canada.

There are apparently some jurisdictional issues involving IP rights, but for instance, when I go to Europe, I can't get Netflix to stream anything. Not permitted in the area. I can't even go directly to, say, ABC or whatever. That won't work either. I have a friend who uses proxy software like Hotspot Shield to set a different IP address. She says that works. I usually don't have time anyway.

The only "free benefit" that I cared about coming with this tablet was the Google Play credit. That I can find a way to use. Most of the other things just looked like "come-ons." "Free" dropbox? Or, in other words, a way to get sucked into a program for 2 years and then have to pay? :) I have other cloud storage programs that provide adequate space for free.

Last edited:

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
There are apparently some jurisdictional issues involving IP rights, but for instance, when I go to Europe, I can't get Netflix to stream anything. Not permitted in the area. I can't even go directly to, say, ABC or whatever. That won't work either. I have a friend or uses proxy software like Hotspot Shield to set a different IP address. She says that works. I usually don't have time anyway.

The only "free benefit" that I cared about coming with this tablet was the Google Play credit. That I can find a way to use. Most of the other things just looked like "come-ons." "Free" dropbox? Or, in other words, a way to get sucked into a program for 2 years and then have to pay? I have other cloud storage programs that provide adequate space for free.

The only free thing I was interested in was the Google Play credits and unfortunately, we don't qualify.
It most definitely is a question of IP rights, yet it's a ridiculous situation.
The majority of Canadians all have the major US networks in their cable lineup so we consume the exact same content as our neighbors to the south at the exact same time as them, yet when it comes to streaming services that we are willing to pay for, it's a no-go. Same with movies... theatrical releases are at the exact same time as in the US.
It makes no sense.. It's not like Europe with different time zones, cultures and languages.
/end rant #2
I feel better now :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The only free thing I was interested in was the Google Play credits and unfortunately, we don't qualify.
It most definitely is a question of IP rights, yet it's a ridiculous situation.
The majority of Canadians all have the major US networks in their cable lineup so we consume the exact same content as our neighbors to the south at the exact same time as them, yet when it comes to streaming services that we are willing to pay for, it's a no-go. Same with movies... theatrical releases are at the exact same time as in the US.
It makes no sense.. It's not like Europe with different time zones, cultures and languages.
/end rant #2
I feel better now :)

I would go further, though. It's a Brave New World. The internet has created a very new world. I go over to Europe, I pull out Google Maps and ....gasp....doesn't work at first. Suddenly, I have no data plan because roaming costs are so ridiculously high and the 1st time you use GM in a new place, you need some downloads of maps (thereafter, it works fine on GPS, no data). This is absurd. (I hear T-Mobile has a new plan that may address some of these issues.) Ditto for movies.

The world is getting smaller. The internet is a reason why. Adjustments still to come, I guess.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I think you might like this - the Hola unblocker gives you a VPN so you can get US or UK (or other countries) versions of netflix, amazon etc...Enjoy!:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...apps/details?id=org.hola&hl=en&token=Pgd3669o

Thanks I'll check it out... offhand do you know how the unblocker affects the Google Play store ? I have the Canadian Play store which does not show US only apps... will I be able to see them ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

SUDOsu

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
It should be possible if you first log out of Google services, turn on the hola unblocker and config a US script (push a button with a us flag beside it)
in 'settings' then log back in to play store and it should show up as the US version.
Here is a link to an app called logout! that logs you out of Google Play and a bunch of other apps without having to go in application settings and clear the cache/data... https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.meltzerman.logout&token=ABx3QeD2
I tried it and pretty sure I got the U.K. version of Google play when I tried. Made sense since I had U.K. script enabled for the ITV app. Good luck.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This does not directly affect me as I am in the US, BUT I just wanted to say to SUDOsu (love the user name), :), :

That is just SOOO cool! I really hope this works well for your charles777.

As a side note tho, if you do use this, can you switch back and forth and have access to diff countries? I would like occasional access to ITV :)

THANKS

SUDOsu

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
@dianehelen it works like a charm.
I actually DL'd and installed the ITV app right from within Hola's app, you get to it from the settings.
You will need to enter a UK post code in order to get all the content. I used SW1A1AA.
I did not take the update after the app installed. If you ever see an option to use location services for that app, you would definitely want to select 'no'. ; )

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
@dianehelen it works like a charm.
I actually DL'd and installed the ITV app right from within Hola's app, you get to it from the settings.
You will need to enter a UK post code in order to get all the content. I used SW1A1AA.
I did not take the update after the app installed. If you ever see an option to use location services for that app, you would definitely want to select 'no'. ; )

Cool! ya I know loads of UK postal codes ;-)

gonna give this a whirl hehe so cool, love learning about such fun stuff that can be done

den1959

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for Amazon to get my new Note 10.1 2014 delivered. After debating for a couple months, doing research etc... Placed my order today, will be here Thursday........

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I am waiting for Amazon to get my new Note 10.1 2014 delivered. After debating for a couple months, doing research etc... Placed my order today, will be here Thursday........

Congrats :)
You're going to love it !
Word of advice... get the Square Trade warranty with Accidental damage... it's well worth the price.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Congrats :)
You're going to love it !y
Word of advice... get the Square Trade warranty with Accidental damage... it's well worth the price.

Got mine today too. Lucky enough to catch Bestbuy not only in sale-mode, but also in good hearted mode. The sale was for $569 for the 32gb, but Newegg sale which ended about a week ago was for $539. I just mentioned that, and BB saleperson did a price match for $539..

I didn't get the BB protection, but I have 15 days from today to get it. I think I am going to check to see if it covers accidental drop, if it does, going to get it.. I have already outfitted mine with a bluetooth case, screen protector, and 64gb micro sd card. Just a couple hours owner, and I am a happy camper big time.. :D

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif
I was lucky enough to get that Newegg sale, no tax, free shipping.

Got mine today too. Lucky enough to catch Bestbuy not only in sale-mode, but also in good hearted mode. The sale was for $569 for the 32gb, but Newegg sale which ended about a week ago was for $539. I just mentioned that, and BB saleperson did a price match for $539..

I didn't get the BB protection, but I have 15 days from today to get it. I think I am going to check to see if it covers accidental drop, if it does, going to get it.. I have already outfitted mine with a bluetooth case, screen protector, and 64gb micro sd card. Just a couple hours owner, and I am a happy camper big time.. :D

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Where is the cheapest place to buy a Square Trade with Accidental? It's like $160 on the Square Trade website. Amazon sells it for $96 but before I bought it I called to see if it was only good for Amazon purchases. It was.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Where is the cheapest place to buy a Square Trade with Accidental? It's like $160 on the Square Trade website. Amazon sells it for $96 but before I bought it I called to see if it was only good for Amazon purchases. It was.

I bought mine on ebay... there was a link to it on the same page as my tablet. .. $99 for 2 years with Accidental

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry Charles, I must be overlooking it. Would you mind posting the exact link?
Thank you Sure would love to find the deal that Amazon offers. 3 years for $96 (accidental)

I bought mine on ebay... there was a link to it on the same page as my tablet. .. $99 for 2 years with Accidental

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

anon(1455986)

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you pm me to explain how you optimized your Note? When I am scrolling on Chrome I still get stutter and lagg. I disabled push notifications. And I think I successfully turned off S voice. Thanks. You seem very knowledgeable, looking forward to some awesome tips

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie