Galaxy Note 10.1: screen shattered in "soft" drop

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, my tablet slid off the counter and dropped in the floor today. I've only had it for 6 weeks . . . It was in a protective case and it landed completely flat. Honestly, when it fell, I thought, "geez, it's a good thing it's in the case and didn't land on a corner or sideways or anything"

I truly did NOT expect any damage . . . So I was completely shocked when I picked it up and opened the case and the glass was shattered. It has never been dropped before, so there were no latent cracks or anything like that

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else had their screen shatter unexpectedly? I'm really still in shock about the whole thing.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: screen shattered in "soft" drop

Oh Nooooooo :-(

someone posted the same thing a week or so ago. it's still under warranty, so they will replace. but what a bummer

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, my tablet slid off the counter and dropped in the floor today. I've only had it for 6 weeks . . . It was in a protective case and it landed completely flat. Honestly, when it fell, I thought, "geez, it's a good thing it's in the case and didn't land on a corner or sideways or anything"

I truly did NOT expect any damage . . . So I was completely shocked when I picked it up and opened the case and the glass was shattered. It has never been dropped before, so there were no latent cracks or anything like that

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else had their screen shatter unexpectedly? I'm really still in shock about the whole thing.

So sorry to hear that :(
I have a feeling that all these slim, svelte cases (mine included) from companies like Poetic, Moka, rooCASE etc. really offer very little protection from drops... they are great for propping up a tablet but that's about it. Hope you get your tablet back soon !

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean they will replace it, dianehelen? Please tell me that this means I don't have to buy a new one! It would be replaced even though it did off the counter? I bought it from Amazon, btw . . . And I just looked it up. I bought it 34 days ago

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I wanted an otterbox case but didn't think the otterbox version for 10.1 (2012) would fit this model - 10.1 (2014 edition)

I have otterbox for my phone (Samsung Note 3) and I love it

Otterbox cases fit very, very snugly.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I never dropped my note 2014 while I had it, but I dropped my nexus 10 plenty of times ( at home and in a thin poetic case) and never had problems. Though I'm short so maybe my drops weren't as far or because of different glass. Sorry! Sucks to think you're protected and have this happen.

Sent from my LG-V500 using AC Forums mobile app

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link, dianehelen. I'm still confused because the Samsung warranty expressly disavows coverage for accidents, misuse, etc

I guess it can't hurt to try

Honestly, I'm still shocked that it cracked because I've dropped plenty of other phones and tablets (under far worse conditions) with no damage at all

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If you are honest, they won't Fix it under warranty, nor should they, it was not a manufacturing defect, but you can contact them and ask, I hate that it happened to you, and I hope it works out.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. The reason that I posted here at all is that it just seems so darn weird that the screen completely shattered in this "soft" drop (for lack of better word). This is my first Samsung tablet but I've been a smartphone/tablet user for years and I've had plenty of *real* drops with little or no damage.

If this is indicative of the quality of a non-defective Samsung tablet, I'm not at all sure that I'm going to buy another one. Despite the fact that I really loved the performance and features!

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For any potential buyers of this tablet reading these posts, I would suggest getting a warranty from Square Trade that includes Accidental damage. I paid $99 for 2 years. It's sold on ebay, Amazon and on the Square Trade website.

In 2 years time I will either upgrade to the latest & greatest 16 core 4K tablet with mind reading tech and 16gb of RAM :) or I'll buy a thick gel cushioned case for this one.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I know how you feel, but it's all about the landing, you could have dropped it from 15 feet without a scratch if it landed a certain way, but, the bigger the screen, the easier it will break.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling that all these slim, svelte cases (mine included) from companies like Poetic, Moka, rooCASE etc. really offer very little protection from drops... they are great for propping up a tablet but that's about it. Hope you get your tablet back soon !

That is one of the reasons I ordered Tempered Glass Screen protector for my 10.1 2014.. I got Temp Glass on my Note 3.. Love it...I wonder if a Temp Glass Protector would have saved the OP's screeen??

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
If you are honest, they won't Fix it under warranty, nor should they, it was not a manufacturing defect, but you can contact them and ask, I hate that it happened to you, and I hope it works out.

I think one should get a warranty that includes "accidental drops"...Going to asked that question when I picked up mine...

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I will be double-casing mine. Just like I do with my Note 3. First in a slim case on my Note 3, than a wallet type case. On my 2014, it will be a Poetic type keyboard case and that will go in another case.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
That is one of the reasons I ordered Tempered Glass Screen protector for my 10.1 2014.. I got Temp Glass on my Note 3.. Love it...I wonder if a Temp Glass Protector would have saved the OP's screeen??

You never know, I fell off of a roof, probably 18 to 20 feet onto a sidewalk, bumps and scrapes, but no broken bones, my younger brother tripped and fell in the snow and broke his leg in three places.... like I said, it's all in the landing...

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I'd be shocked if this was covered under warranty. I worked at a tablet/phone repair retailer. We've fixed the 10.1 note, but not the 2014 version. Nobody has the screen/digitizer out yet. Our vendors have no listing. Even Ebay has no listing. But don't give up. Wait a few months. Parts will become available. You can get it fixed for about $150.

mrspatmore

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Blackbeagle, thank you for this info. A friend said he could replace the glass for $200 but he must have been looking at the 2012 replacement glass. I don't think the replacement glass for the 2014 edition is available yet. Meanwhile, I've got to decide whether to buy another one. I paid $499/16gb model on December 8. Now it's $549 on Amazon.

To the other poster, thanks for the info about Four Square warranty . . .sure wish I had known about it earlier. :-(

Lastly, does anyone know for sure if the otterbox for Samsung 10.1 fits the 2014 edition?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis