Terminology...PHONE?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've seen several threads where the GN/2014 tablet is referred to as a "phone". Is this out of habit (since cell phones have been around a lot longer and I'm sure a lot of people here have Samsung phones)? I know there is a LTE version but still I would think it's a tablet that has phone capabilities, not to mention most of the units here are wifi versions. Just curious. It's my nature :D

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I've seen several threads where the GN/2014 tablet is referred to as a "phone". Is this out of habit (since cell phones have been around a lot longer and I'm sure a lot of people here have Samsung phones)? I know there is a LTE version but still I would think it's a tablet that has phone capabilities, not to mention most of the units here are wifi versions. Just curious. It's my nature :D
Well my favourite take on this is here - The Phones Show - 204 - When is a phone not a phone? Plus the Lumia 928,and I totally agree with the definition.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I certainly would look too funny holding my Note 10.1 to my ear and use it as a phone :p I think most sites automate this because of the "Galaxy Note" monicker, and some others, just tag along. This is, by no means, a phone. Even with LTE, it's no phone. It's a tablet that can make calls. :p

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Agree it's a tablet with phone capabilities (whatsapp works!)
I use it as back phone and connect with a wired handsfree from my Blackberry. Works fine n fandy.
I don't like to bring additional powerbanks so this is a win win solution

Sent from my T753 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the thing is in many places outside the US, consumers buy a tablet to use as a phone, and a Bluetooth headset, as they pay full retail price for all electronic devices.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

SheTeck

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol - Nooo, even in South Africa, a phone is a phone and a tablet is a tablet. Very few people here would dare to use their tablet as a phone in public.