A question on Note 10.1 2014, and GPS

den1959

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks I am wondering how well the Note 10.1 2014 works with GPS. I travel a lot and would like to use it to replace my Tom-Tom... And any information on apps for GPS... Thanks all

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Works well. Beats my other tablet and Oppo Find.
On a clear day all devices can lock on gps under 30 secs however on cloudy or rainy days my 7" Movimax gives up my Oppo locks in at 45sec anf my P601 locks in under 30sec.
I also use Waze to get around as it is more interactive and uptodate.

Sent from my T753 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, GPS is a go with this tablet (something I found missing on the iPad on the two weeks I had one before wishing I could smash the thing to the wall). However, unless you get a 3G/4G enabled model (or you share your phone's network via WiFi...or your car has built-in WiFi), you're only gonna get offline maps and no real time navigation from Google Maps.

Last edited:

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Offline maps work well. I have both CoPilot and Sygic and they are accurate and much quicker than Google Maps. Both provide voice navigation and turns and...

Sent via my Note 8

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but you'd have to download the maps while you're still on WiFi so that the tablet will know what those GPS coordinates 'mean' when you don't have a network connection.

If you want real time turn-by-turn navigation, however, it's a different story and depends solely on the app you're using. Google Maps, for instance, lets you download map areas (as long as the city or country has not restricted it) but it won't give you turn-by-turn directions or let you search for specific addresses while offline. Some more dedicated apps, like the ones bclinger suggested, do let you download maps and have Navigation even when offline, but of course, you'll need to download the relevant data before you go on the road.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
In my situation, I have North America and Paradise installed on the Note 3 and Note 8. Data is used only fir searches when the database does not have a match. These databases though are up to date. I have done an on line search only 1 time. Another advantage is rerouting, much quicker than with Google Maps. Performance is equal to my 7" Magellan RoadMate.

Via my Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane