09-04-2018 02:36 PM
50 12
tools
    I had the same dark screen problem and I was about to start a hardware reset of my tablet (Note 10.1 2014 edt) when I came across this site and finally found a solution that worked for me and resolved the problem! As it turns out the LCD cable had gotten loose with-with time. After opening the back cover of the tablet (carefully and with a good portion of patience!) firmly replaced the cable back the screen is working fine again

Many, many thanks for the tip!
    11-05-2014 07:52 PM
    I too had the same problem and took the back off and reattached the LCD cable. Bam! Good as new! Thanks for tip! Saved me a master reset and sending it in!
    12-01-2014 07:52 PM
    How easy is this repair. Does the plastic holding the ribbon cable snap up easy. I have fat fingers. I had a wii and when I snapped the plastic piece up it just broke off.
    My tablet is one day old but it only cost 329 new and I would love to keep it as long as this fix is easy and it lasts. I cannot find anything comparable at that price.
    Also will I still be under warranty.
    12-02-2014 01:27 AM
    Hell yeah I fixed it. Used guitar picks to open it up. Well my brand new note is like a refurbished one but at least I did the refurbishing.
    Stressful opening up a one day old tablet that is refundable.
    Its so bizarre that the brightness controls did not work but now they do.
    Thanks
    12-02-2014 11:17 AM
    Start selling guitar picks for $9.99 as a custom tablet repair tool...

Dale
    jonathon towers likes this.
    12-02-2014 03:08 PM
    Worked like a charm for me, was worried I'd have to take it back to samsung. Apparently the LCD ribbon is loose on these things and from wear and tear and a little bump here and there it gets dislodged.
    01-13-2015 01:45 AM
    it seems that if the cable was the issue the display would never work. Mine works fine until the screen goes into sleep mode
    01-15-2015 09:39 PM
    I have the same black screen issue. Been on the service 3 times now. I also tired the youtube solution removing the screen cable and reattaching it, but that is short lived slution - it works for a while but then it goes dark permanently like before.

What is Samsung doing about this crap? Can`t they get this fixed permanently buy uprating some parts and help us out finally? I mean I paid 500 EUR when it came out for this POS.
    01-19-2015 07:07 AM
    this worked for me, its a little iffy if you not comfortable with electronics but ask someone who is, its not too hard at all. Fixed my issue, its been 2 weeks now
    02-24-2015 11:55 PM
    They replaced the whole screen and connector now - so far so good. BUT now, I am having issues with battery - it charges real slow and it consumes like crazy - it also drops suddenly for 20-30 % at the time and when you restart the device it shows higher number again, but soon it drops like crazy again. I am officially fed up with this POS. 1 year and so many problems - I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow! Samsung POS - never again!
    02-25-2015 02:24 PM
    They replaced the whole screen and connector now - so far so good. BUT now, I am having issues with battery - it charges real slow and it consumes like crazy - it also drops suddenly for 20-30 % at the time and when you restart the device it shows higher number again, but soon it drops like crazy again. I am officially fed up with this POS. 1 year and so many problems - I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow! Samsung POS - never again!
    The battery probably needs to be calibrated. Do you have root access?
    02-25-2015 02:48 PM
    No - It is not rooted and I don`t want to do it either. I kept it stock for trouble free reasons and to secure myself from "it was tempered with and therefore we refuse to repair it under warranty" excuses. Like I said - I am getting rid of this POS, like I got rid of my Samsung phone - I have HTC one now and it is miles better. So I am getting my cash back and getting some other tablet from another manufacturer. Samsung always looks great on papaer and single tests. But after a while it gives you problems so my loyalty to them is dead
    02-25-2015 02:53 PM
    No - It is not rooted and I don`t want to do it either. I kept it stock for trouble free reasons and to secure myself from "it was tempered with and therefore we refuse to repair it under warranty" excuses. Like I said - I am getting rid of this POS, like I got rid of my Samsung phone - I have HTC one now and it is miles better. So I am getting my cash back and getting some other tablet from another manufacturer. Samsung always looks great on papaer and single tests. But after a while it gives you problems so my loyalty to them is dead
    If you still want a good tablet for note taking or just a good stylus experience I recommend the Nvidia shield tablet. It has a wacom stlyus, top of the line processor, amazing gaming graphics, and it is much cheaper than this tablet. The only reason that I got this tablet was for the s pen, if the shield tablet was out then, I would have gotten it.
    02-25-2015 04:09 PM
    Actually I just went for top of the line at the time - stylus was a bonus but not a priority in any way, so I really don`t care for it in the end. Also 10 inches is a must - daughter loves to watch on line cartoons and play games on it. Actually I would go for apple, but I resent IOS and want to keep cross-platform compatibility between devices. Again Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 looks great on paper - especially with that insane resolution, but like I said no more Samsung crap ever - so I will wait a while for sth better to come out. Priorities are; best possible 10+ inch display, speed, expandable storage, Quality fit and finish, celular connectivity is not needed - just great Wi-Fi.
    02-25-2015 04:21 PM
    I have Galaxy a5, faced the same problem. Solved mine with pressing power button + middle of sound up and down so that both are pressed -> device will shutdown, now restart and vola!
    05-12-2015 09:45 PM
    I registered just to thank you guys cause you saved me from sending my tab back to samsung. My son dropped it and the screen went pink and green and i was sure that the screen was gone. I did exactly what John Woo1 suggested and the Tab is back to normal
    06-10-2015 09:48 AM
    My screen has gone black. When I turn phone off and on works well. Then goes black again when goes to home screen. Taking it back. UGH!
    06-10-2015 04:50 PM
    Just had that problem a week ago. Removed the back with a flathead and bashed the exposed area with the other end! Colour is back and works fine!
    12-05-2015 10:30 PM
    I also have this problem.
    I first got it after it fell and the screen broke. Took it to Samsung service, replaced the entire screen unit for money. After 2 weeks, got the "black screen problem". Took it to the service again. Samsung tech guy took off the back cover, removed and plugged the LCD cable just like in the youtube video.
    Everything worked fine at first, but a month later the problem came back. I repeated the procedure myself. Since than, I had to repeat it like 20 more times, and it gets worse and worse every time. The screen now goes "black" every 3-4 days; on top of that, sometimes it just "blinks", freezes and restarts; while this is happening, the battery can go down 30-40% at once. Also one of the volume buttons is broken (probably because of the constant repairing). It is becoming unbearable.

If anyone knows more permanent solution to the problem, I would like to know.

And yeah, the whole deal seems to be the consequence of the poor assembly quality. This is the last Samsung I will ever buy.
    12-17-2015 05:19 AM
    Black Screen. I did find away to get screen back. Unplug power, then place five fingers on screen and press power button. The only problem is the next time it goes dark you have to repeat the process. Samsung told me to back up your data and the press the home buton, volume up, and power button then select " reset to factory default ". I tried to use the back up and restore that's in your General tab and it did work for a few days then started doing it again. I will try their method and post what happened.
    02-11-2017 05:47 PM
    Just had this problem myself recently (2017) and since my device is well out of warranty I bit the bullet on this one. I tested with the back off, a strong nylon plectrum worked well. Without even removing the cable it was clear that the tablet was fine without the back, but disconnected and inspected then reconnected all the same. I have a feeling that my case was putting pressure on the screen and bending slightly, fingers crossed that is all it was.

Samsung have fixed some of my devices previously and have always given excellent service, once even turned around in 5 days just before Christmas, so I would highly recommend them normally.
    02-13-2017 02:55 PM
    Hi Adam. Did this fix your problem? Or is it still goving you issues

Just had this problem myself recently (2017) and since my device is well out of warranty I bit the bullet on this one. I tested with the back off, a strong nylon plectrum worked well. Without even removing the cable it was clear that the tablet was fine without the back, but disconnected and inspected then reconnected all the same. I have a feeling that my case was putting pressure on the screen and bending slightly, fingers crossed that is all it was.

Samsung have fixed some of my devices previously and have always given excellent service, once even turned around in 5 days just before Christmas, so I would highly recommend them normally.
    03-18-2017 03:23 AM
    Welcome to the club all and include myself. It happened to me yesterday while using the tab and the screen start to flickering. A restart and booomm, black screen and shame on sammy crap.
    But I managed to fixed it myself and got the screen back. See how long before it gonna happen again. Others at xda have reported same problem and crappy quality control or whatever crap by sammy.

Possible fix:
    Remove the backcover, can be easily done by credit card or just with fingernails.
    Disconnect LCD ribbon cable and battery cable. Wait few minute, before reconnnect both cables again and if 1st try didnt work. Repeat same procedure until get the screen back.

Someone had same issue and sended it to sammy service. He got the tab back and only the battery module was replaced.
    So dont know what the heck is causing this issue and more peoples lately have reported same issue.
    Nice! That's work for me and I tested! Thank you a lot )))))))))))))
    09-06-2017 07:18 AM
    This worked perfect. Thank you for the info.
    12-25-2017 01:51 PM
    I think I've found the culprit. I had the same issue where the screen went black but removing the back reattaching the screen cable fixed it temporarily.

What I did to fix was go to "Lock screen" setting and set the "Lock automatically" to "immediately".

Ever since I have done it, the issue has gone. It seems there's a software issue but god only knows.
    I hope this solution works for others too.
    09-04-2018 02:36 PM
50 12