My Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) has a dark screen.

RaxGhost

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Just yesterday my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed. started acting weird. Now whenever i press main button the screen won't show anything. But tablet itself seems to be fully functional in anything else. I still can touch-unlock it, do stuff and hear responding sounds. But the screen is down. Then only I realized that the brightness is absolutely down by looking at the tablet as close as I can on light. Tried to regulate the brightness and check autobrightness. Not helping. Tried to reset device. Not helping either. And the thing is whenever I restart my Note the brightness comes back. And after first time I lock the screen with power button after restart the dark screen comes back. What to do?

wsoxfan83

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I've had this before. Returned it, got a new one. Now, it just happened again. Began with a corner of the tablet looking dark. Reset it, and screen never came back on. Did you ever find a solution?

Yannick Klausener

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had this before. Returned it, got a new one. Now, it just happened again. Began with a corner of the tablet looking dark. Reset it, and screen never came back on. Did you ever find a solution?

Any chance it was like this? I noticed this darker area, although it's not always like this. Idk either i should return it or keep using and hope it's a software issue.
IMG_20140315_042057.jpg
It is not as bad as it looks in this picture, but turns reading into quite an annoying task due to the brightness difference.
ps: Made all tests available on display tester - this pic is one of them- and no issues like dead pixels etc

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Any chance it was like this? I noticed this darker area, although it's not always like this. Idk either i should return it or keep using and hope it's a software issue.

Your tablet should not have ANY screen issues... not for the price you paid. If you are able to exchange, don't hesitate !
Just my 2 cents

Ryan Gascoigne

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
my tablet screen has gone black too. i have shone a tortch into the screen and i can just about make out the display and when i move the toggle up and down to ajust the brightness it does nothing it just stays the same, ive switched it off and on a few time but it has done nothing, i am not using any custom roms. also i havnt broke it of dropped it in anyway, i have only had it since christmas. Thanks!!!

BTW im using the samsung note 10.:'(1 2014 edition

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
my tablet screen has gone black too. i have shone a tortch into the screen and i can just about make out the display and when i move the toggle up and down to ajust the brightness it does nothing it just stays the same, ive switched it off and on a few time but it has done nothing, i am not using any custom roms. also i havnt broke it of dropped it in anyway, i have only had it since christmas. Thanks!!!

BTW im using the samsung note 10.:'(1 2014 edition
Welcome to the club all and include myself. It happened to me yesterday while using the tab and the screen start to flickering. A restart and booomm, black screen and shame on sammy crap.
But I managed to fixed it myself and got the screen back. See how long before it gonna happen again. Others at xda have reported same problem and crappy quality control or whatever crap by sammy.

Possible fix:
Remove the backcover, can be easily done by credit card or just with fingernails.
Disconnect LCD ribbon cable and battery cable. Wait few minute, before reconnnect both cables again and if 1st try didnt work. Repeat same procedure until get the screen back.

Someone had same issue and sended it to sammy service. He got the tab back and only the battery module was replaced.
So dont know what the heck is causing this issue and more peoples lately have reported same issue. :mad:

jenyap0910

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the club all and include myself. It happened to me yesterday while using the tab and the screen start to flickering. A restart and booomm, black screen and shame on sammy crap.
But I managed to fixed it myself and got the screen back. See how long before it gonna happen again. Others at xda have reported same problem and crappy quality control or whatever crap by sammy.

Possible fix:
Remove the backcover, can be easily done by credit card or just with fingernails.
Disconnect LCD ribbon cable and battery cable. Wait few minute, before reconnnect both cables again and if 1st try didnt work. Repeat same procedure until get the screen back.

Someone had same issue and sended it to sammy service. He got the tab back and only the battery module was replaced.
So dont know what the heck is causing this issue and more peoples lately have reported same issue. :mad:

Happened to me three times already within 1st month of use. The touch screen fucntions work where I remember the app menu button is, i press it and the screen lights up to normal again, but upon returning to the lock screen it's black again. While in the black screen tried to swoop down the menu for stuff to see if the screen appears and the screen works fine, but when i swipe it up to exit the black screen appears again. Fixed it by restarting cause apparently the screen shows up for all other stuff except for the lock screen it wakes up to. What kind of problem is this and should i return my tab and switcn for a new one?

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me three times already within 1st month of use. The touch screen fucntions work where I remember the app menu button is, i press it and the screen lights up to normal again, but upon returning to the lock screen it's black again. While in the black screen tried to swoop down the menu for stuff to see if the screen appears and the screen works fine, but when i swipe it up to exit the black screen appears again. Fixed it by restarting cause apparently the screen shows up for all other stuff except for the lock screen it wakes up to. What kind of problem is this and should i return my tab and switcn for a new one?

If you can return your tablet without any hassles and get it exchanged, by all means do so. You shouldn't have ANY screen issues and it's more than likely that the problem you are experiencing now will only get worse over time if it's a hardware issue.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

Its the LCD ribbon cable that become loose and need to secure it. It can easily be done be remove the backcover and secure the lcd ribbon cable. I posted pictures how it looks like in other thread. Look for it. Mine tab have been working since did it myself.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

YascoP

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I had the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, and I followed what John Woo 1 said. I powered the tablet down first (could do it after restart and without locking the screen) as once it was locked, couldn't get it unlocked, all black. Removed then back cover (not quite with credit card of fingernail, but with the thin knife instead - be careful not to brake little plastic pins that hold the back cover in place ) removed the screen ribbon cable, reinstated and secured the cable again. After that I've tested it, and it worked. I just then put the cover back and so far so good, locking, unlocking, no problems.
Just wanted to confirm that it must be the cable issue. Thank you John Woo 1 :)

Posted via Android Central App

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
In order to make sure that it is not a software issue try connecting the tablet to a hdmi device such as a TV . If the display appears on the TV then it is most likely a hardware issue.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

majere

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I have the same problem and one more problem, when i watch video like youtube or netflix i got black screen or horizontal line and the video is lagging, should i try John Woo1 solution?

Thanks

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I have the same problem and one more problem, when i watch video like youtube or netflix i got black screen or horizontal line and the video is lagging, should i try John Woo1 solution?

Thanks
First problem yes. 2nd problem isnt related to loose lcd ribbon cable. I wrote a solution for it at other thread and its about codecs problem.
Go to devs settings(if u already enabled it) and check on force using GPU rendering. Or search for the thread about video issues.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Its the LCD ribbon cable that become loose and need to secure it. It can easily be done be remove the backcover and secure the lcd ribbon cable. I posted pictures how it looks like in other thread. Look for it. Mine tab have been working since did it myself.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

That voids the warranty and TBH unless you know what your doing your better off sending it off to Samsung to repair it but thats my 2 cents

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
That voids the warranty and TBH unless you know what your doing your better off sending it off to Samsung to repair it but thats my 2 cents
Pls, show me where it says that would void warranty if open the backcover? Its impossible for them to know if someone had opened the backcover or not, unless u break the "clings" while opened it. Or there is a sticker at backcover that says void warranty if opened backcover.

Alot peoples, include myself had opened the backcover on Note 2014, Note 1, Note 2 and there are no such void warranty as u says.

There are no reason to send it in and wait few weeks before get it back. For a job that take less than 5 min to do.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Pls, show me where it says that would void warranty if open the backcover? Its impossible for them to know if someone had opened the backcover or not, unless u break the "clings" while opened it. Or there is a sticker at backcover that says void warranty if opened backcover.

Alot peoples, include myself had opened the backcover on Note 2014, Note 1, Note 2 and there are no such void warranty as u says.

There are no reason to send it in and wait few weeks before get it back. For a job that take less than 5 min to do.
Your assuming everybody here can remove it without breaking the hinges....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt