My Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) has a dark screen.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Your assuming everybody here can remove it without breaking the hinges....
The hinges is not easily break, just careful remove the backcover and it can easily be done.
I did break a "hinge" on mine Note 2, and flipcover is loose at top. They didnt care about it and did the repairs on mine Note 2 when I sended it in. Breaking a hinge wont have any affect on the device functional and wont avoid warranty.

Battusai Hanshi

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Have the same issue. Returned my previous Note 10.1 2014 2 times for faulty screen (but different problem than this), after that they gave me a new unit. Now this one has the black screen thing (only after you 'lock' it, if I restart it everything works fine again - until I lock it again).
Another weird thing: before this problem manifested I had problems with the SD card reader of this new Note unit (as in it would not detect any SD Card or gave error messages), which now (as of the moment the screen problem started) suprisingly works fine.
Samsung really let me down on this one. Already 50% of the time I got this tablet it's been 'in repair' (13 weeks for crying out loud)...

rueben68

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great tip my little girl dropped my note 10.1 and the screen went all goofy on me I did as you said and it put me on the right track. The ribbon on my tablet was loose at the bottom not at the top but I would have never thought of doing that if it wasn't for your great post.

Anant0123

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and found the solution via the comments below. To show my gratitude I made my own video so anyone else can see how to fix their tablet, but in video format.
just add /watch?v=moaGerOZ8CA to youtube or
search How to Fix the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 2014 Edition Dark Screen on youtube and click on the video by Anant Agrawal

Hope this helps!!

Anant0123

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and found the solution via the comments below. To show my gratitude I made my own video so anyone else can see how to fix their tablet, but in video format.
just add /watch?v=moaGerOZ8CA to youtube or
search How to Fix the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 2014 Edition Dark Screen on youtube and click on the video by Anant Agrawal

Hope this helps!!

Faraie

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same dark screen problem and I was about to start a hardware reset of my tablet (Note 10.1 2014 edt) when I came across this site and finally found a solution that worked for me and resolved the problem! As it turns out the LCD cable had gotten loose with-with time. After opening the back cover of the tablet (carefully and with a good portion of patience!) firmly replaced the cable back the screen is working fine again :)

Many, many thanks for the tip!

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
How easy is this repair. Does the plastic holding the ribbon cable snap up easy. I have fat fingers. I had a wii and when I snapped the plastic piece up it just broke off.
My tablet is one day old but it only cost 329 new and I would love to keep it as long as this fix is easy and it lasts. I cannot find anything comparable at that price.
Also will I still be under warranty.

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Hell yeah I fixed it. Used guitar picks to open it up. Well my brand new note is like a refurbished one but at least I did the refurbishing.
Stressful opening up a one day old tablet that is refundable.
Its so bizarre that the brightness controls did not work but now they do.
Thanks

Lucy Holbrook

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Worked like a charm for me, was worried I'd have to take it back to samsung. Apparently the LCD ribbon is loose on these things and from wear and tear and a little bump here and there it gets dislodged.

Igor Saric

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the same black screen issue. Been on the service 3 times now. I also tired the youtube solution removing the screen cable and reattaching it, but that is short lived slution - it works for a while but then it goes dark permanently like before.

What is Samsung doing about this crap? Can`t they get this fixed permanently buy uprating some parts and help us out finally? I mean I paid 500 EUR when it came out for this POS.

Dan Duhaime

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
this worked for me, its a little iffy if you not comfortable with electronics but ask someone who is, its not too hard at all. Fixed my issue, its been 2 weeks now

Igor Saric

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
They replaced the whole screen and connector now - so far so good. BUT now, I am having issues with battery - it charges real slow and it consumes like crazy - it also drops suddenly for 20-30 % at the time and when you restart the device it shows higher number again, but soon it drops like crazy again. I am officially fed up with this POS. 1 year and so many problems - I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow! Samsung POS - never again!

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
They replaced the whole screen and connector now - so far so good. BUT now, I am having issues with battery - it charges real slow and it consumes like crazy - it also drops suddenly for 20-30 % at the time and when you restart the device it shows higher number again, but soon it drops like crazy again. I am officially fed up with this POS. 1 year and so many problems - I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow! Samsung POS - never again!

The battery probably needs to be calibrated. Do you have root access?

Igor Saric

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
No - It is not rooted and I don`t want to do it either. I kept it stock for trouble free reasons and to secure myself from "it was tempered with and therefore we refuse to repair it under warranty" excuses. Like I said - I am getting rid of this POS, like I got rid of my Samsung phone - I have HTC one now and it is miles better. So I am getting my cash back and getting some other tablet from another manufacturer. Samsung always looks great on papaer and single tests. But after a while it gives you problems so my loyalty to them is dead

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
No - It is not rooted and I don`t want to do it either. I kept it stock for trouble free reasons and to secure myself from "it was tempered with and therefore we refuse to repair it under warranty" excuses. Like I said - I am getting rid of this POS, like I got rid of my Samsung phone - I have HTC one now and it is miles better. So I am getting my cash back and getting some other tablet from another manufacturer. Samsung always looks great on papaer and single tests. But after a while it gives you problems so my loyalty to them is dead

If you still want a good tablet for note taking or just a good stylus experience I recommend the Nvidia shield tablet. It has a wacom stlyus, top of the line processor, amazing gaming graphics, and it is much cheaper than this tablet. The only reason that I got this tablet was for the s pen, if the shield tablet was out then, I would have gotten it.

Igor Saric

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Actually I just went for top of the line at the time - stylus was a bonus but not a priority in any way, so I really don`t care for it in the end. Also 10 inches is a must - daughter loves to watch on line cartoons and play games on it. Actually I would go for apple, but I resent IOS and want to keep cross-platform compatibility between devices. Again Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 looks great on paper - especially with that insane resolution, but like I said no more Samsung crap ever - so I will wait a while for sth better to come out. Priorities are; best possible 10+ inch display, speed, expandable storage, Quality fit and finish, celular connectivity is not needed - just great Wi-Fi.

Asad Peshawari

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I have Galaxy a5, faced the same problem. Solved mine with pressing power button + middle of sound up and down so that both are pressed -> device will shutdown, now restart and vola!