App similar to splashtop

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I think splashtop is really great on the note 10.1 but the app does crash more often than I'd like and you have to pay to access your desktop from any other network. Is there anything similar to splashtop that's a little more reliable and allows you to access your desktop on any network?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
What are you trying to accomplish? Just accessing your desktop or viewing media?

If you have a Windows Professional OS and just want to access the desktop, the Microsoft Remote Desktop app is fantastic on the Note, especially with the SPen and a split and undocked keyboard.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
if your desktop is windows 7 pro, you can use the native rdp on the desktop and Microsoft's free, very awesome Android client app

edit: ;-) Cobra and I posted the same thing/same time

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
What are you trying to accomplish? Just accessing your desktop or viewing media?

If you have a Windows Professional OS and just want to access the desktop, the Microsoft Remote Desktop app is fantastic on the Note, especially with the SPen and a split and undocked keyboard.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I'm guessing it won't work with that? Ultimately the goal will be to view media. Splashtop tends to lag playing HD content over my home network, not sure if that's common or not. I'm hoping to play HD content flawlessly over any network.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't bother with Splashtop for network media playback. Share the media folder in Windows and use something like ES File Explorer and browse to the SMB share. MX Player or Dice Player will play most video file formats, although you will need a plugin for DTS audio.

What kind of video files are these?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ya Windows home prem does not support rdp. But if it's just a matter of getting to you files, with a good File mgr app, I love Astro File, you can hook into your home network.

here is a screen shot of my desktop folder home, as seen from my tablet from Astro file

netw.jpg.jpg

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't bother with Splashtop for network media playback. Share the media folder in Windows and use something like ES File Explorer and browse to the SMB share. MX Player or Dice Player will play most video file formats, although you will need a plugin for DTS audio.

What kind of video files are these?
That's what I have been doing and it's served me well. However I'm only able to access the shared folder while on my own wifi network. I wouldn't be able to access these files from anywhere else.

Mostly mkv.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
yes, it's another client/server duo. One install on your pc, client on the tablet. I use that with some of my clients who don't have pro level Windows

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38