Moving downloaded movies to SD card

Pat Svenson

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have purchased a movie and one season of a tv series thru Samsung Hub and d/l to my Galaxy note 10.1 2014 Edition, for an upcoming trip with no WiFi. Now I am having memorie issues. Can I move them to the SD card and how do I do that? They are not in MY FILES. They only show up if you open the Hub and view VIDEOS. THank you!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a newbie, so bear with my answer. I have found out that all the downloaded movies and music that you purchase has some kind of copyright. What I do is buy movie DVDs, and Music CDs, then I covert them over and put them on my sd card on my 2014 and Note 3..This works for me, and I don't have to put up with complications with something I paid for.

Striker101960

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am a newbie, so bear with my answer. I have found out that all the downloaded movies and music that you purchase has some kind of copyright. What I do is buy movie DVDs, and Music CDs, then I covert them over and put them on my sd card on my 2014 and Note 3..This works for me, and I don't have to put up with complications with something I paid for.

What do you use to convert it and are they from Samsung hub?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The short answer (and you will not like it) is "No, you can't move purchased content to an SD Card". Sorry, that's the facts of life (unless you're rooted and have a memory-allocation-fooling hack installed).

Due to licensing restrictions, all movies downloaded from Samsung Hub cannot be moved to external storage; it has to remain in your phone's internal memory.

The suggestion that you 'rip' your movies from DVD/BluRay (illegal if you don't own the disc in the first place...) does not download the movies from the Hub, but rather makes a copy of a physical disc and converts it to a video file you can move around and watch anywhere, provided the file has no DRM restrictions and the device you're using has the right codec to play the file.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
this is the main reason I returned my 16GB and purchased the 32GB version. Samsung doesn't tell you that you can't put these copyrighted materials on an external SC card. So far no one has come up with a way, that I've read, of converting them and moving them to the SD card. They definitely can't be downloaded directly to the SD card.

Pat Svenson

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the replies, and you're right, not what I wanted to hear. I did post this on another message board and a member told me I could use any file manager app... Total Commander or ES File Explorer, which only confuses me even more. :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
this is the main reason I returned my 16GB and purchased the 32GB version. Samsung doesn't tell you that you can't put these copyrighted materials on an external SC card. So far no one has come up with a way, that I've read, of converting them and moving them to the SD card. They definitely can't be downloaded directly to the SD card.
They do... it's in the ToS

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the replies, and you're right, not what I wanted to hear. I did post this on another message board and a member told me I could use any file manager app... Total Commander or ES File Explorer, which only confuses me even more. :(

That user probably was referring to moving 'side loaded' movie files, or movies that you had in your computer, for instance, and moved to your phone. These files CAN be moved around to wherever you want, but movies downloaded directly from Samsung Hub (and to the best of my knowledge, Google Movies as well) are downloaded and encoded so that they are read from your phone's internal memory.

Now, strictly speaking, you COULD move those large files into an SD card, provided you find out which randomly coded filename the Hub gave them and where they are stored, but in the end, those movies would become unplayable since the Hub will look for them in its default, internal-memory folder and to be able to view them again you'd have to move the files back to where they were originally.

Pat Svenson

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks... I really appreciate your help even if its not what I wanted to hear. Now to figure out what to do. I really want a few things to watch on our trip and silly me thought the SD card was the way to go. I don't know how to get movies or tv shows onto it!

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... I really appreciate your help even if its not what I wanted to hear. Now to figure out what to do. I really want a few things to watch on our trip and silly me thought the SD card was the way to go. I don't know how to get movies or tv shows onto it!

The best "above board" way, would be as mentioned above, would be to buy the physical dvd's and convert them to digital files. If you have a fast and unlimited home internet, there are easy, albeit slightly "below board" ;-) ways to download just about anything you want. If you want more info you can PM me.

nrthwds

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 8.0 16gb and because there is not enough room internally for the movie I downloaded from Samsung it asked me if I wanted to put on SD card. I of course said yes. So it is possible to save to sd card, if you don't have the space. I have two movies currently on sd card.
I also have the Note 10.1 2014 and am hoping I can take the sd card out of the note 8 and put in the note 10 to watch. Haven't tried yet.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with that! That is the main reason I made sure I got 32 gb memory going. I have about 20 or more of my favorite movies and of music on both my Notes. I use my CDs and my dvds. Still got plenty of room left too. I stay away from the downloaded stuff. Too many complications. I got 64gb so cards
on both notes.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I dont have any purchased movies from Samsung Hub or Playstore and can't try if this works. But anyone who had, give it a try and confirm if this works or not?
Go into My Files - Settings - Check Show Hidden Files. Then go to .samsungvideohub folder - contents - "whatever movie downloaded here" and try to move/copy it to extsdcard.

I did tried with free Helicopter.pvy and it works. But since .pvy is DRM copyright protected file and can only play with the device that used to purchased with. If want to play it with other devices and need to convert .pvy file and remove DRM. There are converters that can do it and if needed.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I dont have any purchased movies from Samsung Hub or Playstore and can't try if this works. But anyone who had, give it a try and confirm if this works or not?
Go into My Files - Settings - Check Show Hidden Files. Then go to .samsungvideohub folder - contents - "whatever movie downloaded here" and try to move/copy it to extsdcard.

I did tried with free Helicopter.pvy and it works. But since .pvy is DRM copyright protected file and can only play with the device that used to purchased with. If want to play it with other devices and need to convert .pvy file and remove DRM. There are converters that can do it and if needed.

John Woo!

NAILED IT!

so you CAN infact move samsung donwloaded content to an external sd card AND play them from the card without being on a wifi connection. This is a pretty big deal, never before acknowledged and confirmed.

You have to as said to show the hidden .samsungvideo folder. Once you can see it, the video names are clear in the subfolder. Once you move them to an ext. sd, you have to use the Samsung video player to play them, and you have to navigate to My Video > personal > ext sd (and any sub folder from there)

Very cool update.

Now because of the DRM it can only play on the device it was dl'd from, but I don't think that's much of a problem for many just looking for a way to store a library of content

Thank you John Woo for uncovering the obvious that I and others somehow missed

But once you get there you can tap the desired video and it plays!

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

That is what I did. It works for me.

Sent from my Note II

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Update: you actually CAN play the .pyv files outside of the Samsung Video player. MX player plays then as well.

Learn something new every day :) gotta love that!

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Pardon me if I'm dumb, but cant you just plug USB cable into tablet, and a PC and its just a extended memory device and you can drag and drop files at will.... Playing may be a altogether different item though....

Dale

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ya playing the movies may be a problem. but also this solution is to have access to your purchased hub movies from an ext sd card when on the go