Incompatible Apps

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Note 10.1 2014 and am still in the process of setting up. However one thing I have noticed which is making me unhappy is that I am running into a number of apps that are not compatible. I am assuming that this is due to the tablet running an Exynos processor instead of a Snapdragon.

Examples:
Nights Keeper
InstantMeeting
Lync 2010 & 2013
Mobilemeet

I am going to continue to work with the tablet but this maybe a deal breaker for me. Overall I am fairly happy with the tablet but this wrinkle (found less than 6 hours into ownership) is very disappointing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Note 10.1 2014 and am still in the process of setting up. However one thing I have noticed which is making me unhappy is that I am running into a number of apps that are not compatible. I am assuming that this is due to the tablet running an Exynos processor instead of a Snapdragon.

Examples:
Nights Keeper
InstantMeeting
Lync 2010 & 2013
Mobilemeet

I am going to continue to work with the tablet but this maybe a deal breaker for me. Overall I am fairly happy with the tablet but this wrinkle (found less than 6 hours into ownership) is very disappointing.

Hardware does make a difference. However, you should be able to return the tablet if this is a deal breaker.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
You are right the tablet is returnable. I just want to make sure I give the tablet a chance and will continue to work with it for awhile longer.

Of course currently there are no other true competitors in the 10 tablet space.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
No, I am not sure it is the processor. That was just a guess on my part based on what devices are reporting apps as compatible vs. incompatible. However that maybe a false comparison as I am comparing a phone vs. tablet. I ran into the same issues with my HP Touchpad running Android but did not give it much thought since the Touchpad never came with Android.

I have the SM-P600.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not the processor, so don't worry about that. Worry about the devs, though... If an app shows as incompatible for your tablet, be it the Exynos-based WiFi model or the SnapDragon LTE-enabled one, it will show the same for both. It's because the dev has not included this device to the list of compatible hardware for their own apps (it can also be the Android version, as you'll find many devs have not updated their apps for KitKat, for example).

What I've found is that, sometimes, an app that shows as incompatible does work with the device, but Google Play says it's not because the dev hasn't updated the list yet, but if you sideload the app you'll find it works.

For instance, the "Smart View" app from Samsung, a GREAT tool if you also happen to have post-2012 Samsung Smart TV, turned out to be incompatible with the Note 10.1 when it launched. So, I ripped the APK from the one I had downloaded to my Note 3 and voil?! It worked, but the app still showed as incompatible in Google Play. A couple of weeks later, with NO UPDATE to the app version, the same app showed as compatible.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Not the processor, so don't worry about that. Worry about the devs, though... If an app shows as incompatible for your tablet, be it the Exynos-based WiFi model or the SnapDragon LTE-enabled one, it will show the same for both. It's because the dev has not included this device to the list of compatible hardware for their own apps (it can also be the Android version, as you'll find many devs have not updated their apps for KitKat, for example).

What I've found is that, sometimes, an app that shows as incompatible does work with the device, but Google Play says it's not because the dev hasn't updated the list yet, but if you sideload the app you'll find it works.

For instance, the "Smart View" app from Samsung, a GREAT tool if you also happen to have post-2012 Samsung Smart TV, turned out to be incompatible with the Note 10.1 when it launched. So, I ripped the APK from the one I had downloaded to my Note 3 and voil?! It worked, but the app still showed as incompatible in Google Play. A couple of weeks later, with NO UPDATE to the app version, the same app showed as compatible.

Thanks. That makes much more sense. The simple answer if usually the correct answer.