Questions from an iFan!!

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys and gals. I've been looking hard over the past two weeks at getting a tablet. I've been on the Note 8.0 forums because that's what I really wanted but after going to Best Buy the other day, i've started looking at the 10.1 2014 edition. I currently have a iPhone 5 and a 13" Macbook Pro Retina and the tablet will mainly be used for note taking, used to display speech outlines, some web surfing, email, and a little bit of gaming. I like the iPad mini but from what i've read online it has a color issue with the screen and some freezing with Safari. I know no tablet is perfect but I want something that is gonna last and i really like the customization of Android. So a few questions I really need help with on making my decision.
1. The tablet I need to buy needs to last me at least 2 years maybe three. I know Apple is pretty good with keeping their hardware updated but what about Samsung? I've read where the 8.0 possibly won't be getting 4.4 and so I'm a little hesitant and it makes me lean closer to the 10.1 because it is the newest of the devices.
2. Reading about the 10.1, there seems to be mention of some software lag. Is it that noticeable to those of you that have one? And do you think its something that Samsung can fix with a software update?
3. This question is probably stupid but i've always heard the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Haven't messed with any Android devices for a while (the last one i had was the HTC Inspire :-!) so is Android pretty easy to get used to? I've used Apple for quite a few years and its pretty simple. I've jailbroken my phone so i understand tech a little bit but it looks challenging with the whole rooting and side loading things you can do with Android.
4. If i go Android, do I need virus protection?
5. Is there another tablet that I should be looking at? I'm here because you guys mess with Android more than me and the only reason i'm looking at the Note series is the stylus and note taking abilities. I really like that. I've tried using the bulky stylus with an iPad and didn't like it. the spen looks to be a lot more precise. Are there any other tablets out there with similarities to the Note?

Thanks guys. I've followed tech since I was a kid (SEGA/NINTENDO wars) and there's a lot of really cool stuff out there. Makes it really hard to make a decision because there's no one product that really stands out above the rest. Each one has its pros and cons which is great for giving one different options. Doesn't make easy though.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Questions from a ifan!!

OK, here's my two cents... Hope it helps :)

1) No tablet will be good for three years. Even iPads. Samsung is NOT the best at keeping things updated but that's changing, albeit not fast enough. However, you mention you're a bit tech savvy, so rooting your device and keeping an eye on the XDA forums, you'll find that software updates with added bonuses will always be available there, thanks to avid developers.
2)Yes, there is lag, but it's on the Launcher (the homescreen of your phone). Once you go into an app and such, it's gone. Samsung's software is at fault here with so many things bundled it that it makes the thing laggy. It's not too critical and you'll probably only notice it more because you've been told it's there, but there's no denying it, comparing it to, say, moving a homepage in an iPad and this tablet, you'll see the difference sometimes. However, again, the beauty (and demise) of Android is that it's customizable. Replace TouchWiz with a third party launcher and voil?! No more lag.
3)Like you say, no stupid questions. And no easy answers, either. Yes, Android is easy to get used to, BUT you'll have to fight the urge of doing iThings here, especially since you'll still be used to having an iPhone and MacBook. If you're anything like me (and most of the users around here) you'll quickly find iOS so restrictive and in no time you'll want to do things you do with ease on Android but can't do on iOS. Something as simple as sharing an image to Whatsapp or a text message to another app will take more clicks and apps on iOS than on Android. But the same goes for other things you're used to doing, like pinching for multitasking in iOS and having to press and hold a button on Android. I'm not trying to frighten you away, I'm just being honest: You're used to iOS, and while Android is easy to pick up, is also easy to drive you nuts if you're too 'married' to Apple's ecosystem. Oh! And yeah, rooting is scary but it's not that hard. It's not as straight forward sometimes as it is jailbreaking on iOS, but again, devs either post very detailed guides to do it or in some cases, apps you can just run and have your device rooted in no time, just like Jailbreaking.
4) Nope, unless you start installing stuff from spotty sources. As long as you keep your downloads from trusted sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore, you're good to go.
5) In my book the only other Android tablet worth looking at is the Nexus 10, but you don't get the Stylus with that one. If that's a MUST HAVE for you, I'd say the Note line is your best option. You can also take a look at the new, upcoming Tab Pros and the Galaxy Note 12.2, but I'd still recommend the Note 10.1 2014.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

As somebody has already stated, NOTHING is going to last 2 or 3 years, unless you in the jungle somewhere and no access to up to date items.. :D. They may not be updated, but they will be upgraded, as in, another model superseding the previous one. I going to admit straight out, I am a Samsung Fanboy.. :D With that said, I recommend ditching the 5S and getting a Note 3, ditch the IPad, and get a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. If size is not a factor, get the GN Pro 12.2.. Even those items will be upgraded about 6 months from now, if not before.

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

something i forgot to ask...I know the Note has a SD card slot....what's it purpose? (expandable memory i know lol) but i read you can't put apps on it so is it just for pics and movies you download?

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

something i forgot to ask...I know the Note has a SD card slot....what's it purpose? (expandable memory i know lol) but i read you can't put apps on it so is it just for pics and movies you download?

You are correct on the apps not going on the SD card, maybe a few, but not something you can bet on. However, on the pictures, movies,and music, they take up a lot of memory. Why use up the precious internal memory on those items, when the SD card can do it?? Both my Notes have 32gb internal..Bloatware or carrier apps take up about 6 or 7gb.. On both my Notes I have about 24gb of internal memory left. I have 20 to 30 gbs of movies, pics and music on both the Note's SD cards..If not for the SD card, I would be out of memory or cut down on my pics, vids and music.. No way..
I have 64gb SD cards on both my Notes..

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

It depends on the devs if can move proportions of the app to sd card or not and you cant install whole app to sd card as you could before with android. So mostly sd card is like you said, store backups, pictures, videos that takes most space and really nice to have.
About Note 8, it will get KitKat update and so will many others devices. Since with KitKat, Google made it can run on low memory devices also with that only have 500MB memory and cheap lower end devices can get the KitKat updates, if the OEMs decide to update it with it.
I wont worry about updates in Android, since it have a large community with devs that makes customs ROMs that even mine old HTC Desire can run KitKat if I want to and all it needs is ROOT the device, then flash any custom ROMs I want.

Sony Xperia Z (waterproof), Nokia Lumia 2520 (Win RT) and Surface 2 Pro (full win 8.1 desktop OS) is comparable tablets, just with lower resolutions (1920 x1080).

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I have/had the Note 2,3,8,10.1-12, & 10.1-2014 and each has its advantages. I dislike the home button found on all except the 10.1-2012. I use a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse extensively and for me the 2012 is more convenient. Of the larger Notes, I prefer overall the Note 8. All three are exceptional with each having its own minor issues. I experience a bit off a lag with the 2014, frankly though it does not bother me.

Via my Note 3

ALborntoride

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site

I got one!!! I can tell it's gonna take getting used to but I like it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

My complaints: I prefer a capacitive home key instead of the protruding button. I want the options and back to follow the screen rotation and to be accessible with a mouse.

Sent via my Note 8

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

I got one!!! I can tell it's gonna take getting used to but I like it.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Gratz and welcome to the Android Magic Worlds of Wonders!
Many I knows, wonder how they could use iOS so many years and Android opened a whole new World for them. :D

Mai Dvices

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

You are correct on the apps not going on the SD card, maybe a few, but not something you can bet on. However, on the pictures, movies,and music, they take up a lot of memory. Why use up the precious internal memory on those items, when the SD card can do it?? Both my Notes have 32gb internal..Bloatware or carrier apps take up about 6 or 7gb.. On both my Notes I have about 24gb of internal memory left. I have 20 to 30 gbs of movies, pics and music on both the Note's SD cards..If not for the SD card, I would be out of memory or cut down on my pics, vids and music.. No way..
I have 64gb SD cards on both my Notes..

64bb...nice...please share brand and type...been thinking of upgrading the 32gb but the price gap between class 6 and 10 are so crazy...would the built in media player lag since it provides live thumbnails

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk

uruviel

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I am both an iFan and Note fan. I dont know how other android gadgets (other than samsung) are, but Ive found that having both systems means having best of both worlds. I also use iPhone5, iPad4 (for my son) and Macbook Pro, and also have Galaxy Note 10.1 2012, I can't replace them all. I think with the available options, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 ed is a good choice for handwriting and drawing (I bought my Note with the same purpose). If I had the budget I would upgrade my current Note 10.1 to the 2014 ed. I tried handwriting and drawing with the iPad4 but I just cant help it feels fake compared to writing with Spen.

Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App