It's done it again.... dead Note 2014 !

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This is the third time it's happened, I switch off the tablet around 10 pm, with a healthy battery charge (this time around 80%), then find it won't boot the following morning . I plug it into the charger (the one that came in the box with it), and it says "0%" ie completely flat.

In previous incidents I've had high 60's% at switch off and 0% in the morning.
What the hell is happening here?

Even if I mistakenly forgot to switch it off, or somehow didn't do it properly, surely it would have enough juice to boot in the morning?
I've got a serious distrust of this machine now.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the third time it's happened, I switch off the tablet around 10 pm, with a healthy battery charge (this time around 80%), then find it won't boot the following morning . I plug it into the charger (the one that came in the box with it), and it says "0%" ie completely flat.

In previous incidents I've had high 60's% at switch off and 0% in the morning.
What the hell is happening here?

Even if I mistakenly forgot to switch it off, or somehow didn't do it properly, surely it would have enough juice to boot in the morning?
I've got a serious distrust of this machine now.

Definitely not normal... have it replaced or repaired :(
My tablet was at 67% last night and I just left it on the table unplugged.
8 hours later I opened the cover and I was at 65%

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This is upsetting, to say the least. I really love this tablet, and I guess I've been burying my head in the sand a bit, hoping this was a one off!
If I do have to bite the bullet and either get it replaced or send it off for warranty repair, I'm not at all happy to leave my personal data on it, so would want to reset to shipping condition. This is easy, and I've done cloud backups, but how do you reinstate this info, and does it do it all, ie, documents, apps, photos, email accounts, emails etc? .
I bought this at John Lewis here in the UK, don't know if they would favour replacement or repair, as I bought it the minute it was UK released in October.

I use this tablet a lot for email, which I get shedloads of every day, and I'm shuddering at the very prospect of going back to my utterly pathetic iPad in the interim.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
This is upsetting, to say the least. I really love this tablet, and I guess I've been burying my head in the sand a bit, hoping this was a one off!
If I do have to bite the bullet and either get it replaced or send it off for warranty repair, I'm not at all happy to leave my personal data on it, so would want to reset to shipping condition. This is easy, and I've done cloud backups, but how do you reinstate this info, and does it do it all, ie, documents, apps, photos, email accounts, emails etc? .
I bought this at John Lewis here in the UK, don't know if they would favour replacement or repair, as I bought it the minute it was UK released in October.

I use this tablet a lot for email, which I get shedloads of every day, and I'm shuddering at the very prospect of going back to my utterly pathetic iPad in the interim.

Sorry you have to go through this :(
There are many backup possibilities. First of all, your apps are attached to your Google profile, so as soon as you log back in to your repaired tablet with your Google ID, you will get all your apps back. For just about everything else, you can do a backup (and then a subsequent restore) using Samsung Kies. For our tablet you will need to download Kies 3 to your Windows PC and after checking for updates, you can plug in your tablet via USB. Kies 3 will first verify that you have the latest firmware. You can then use the Backup/Restore tab to create a backup of your tablet. You can check or uncheck what you want backed up... apps, photos, videos, contacts etc.If you already use Dropbox to backup your photos, videos etc, there's no point in uploading everything a second time to Samsung's servers. Kies 3 is very finicky... it may take a few tries for it to recognize your device. Just be patient and eventually it will connect. As far as email accounts you may have linked to the stock email application... not sure if those will be kept, or if you will have to re-link them later on. Obviously, individual emails stored on Gmail, Outlook or whatever mail service you use will not be affected. Not sure if you were one of those owners that are affected by Bluetooth issues (some tablets will not hold a stable connection) but you might want to test it out and list it as one of the things that need repairing since you are sending it in. Also verify your screen for any light bleeds.
Hope this helps.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Did you check you battery stats to see if an app is having issues and consuming your charge?

I would try a factory reset before sending it off for repair.

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I think I may have discovered the problem !
Did some app updates today, one of which was Aquamail, and this caught my eye. ...

Recent changes**
Version 1.3.8

* Fixes in automatic setup of Google Apps hosted accounts.

* Resolved incompatibility with MS Forefront (a security proxy for Exchange).

* Fixed issue deleting messages from Cyrus POP3 (server bug).

* Fixes in HTML link highlighting* (when viewing messages).

* Added workaround for @telefonica.net (CRAM-MD5 doesn't work).

* Fixed round contact images crash on 3.0-4.0 when GPU is forced in Developer Settings.

* Fixed a rare, but quite unpleasant, case of high battery drain by IMAP push mail.

....there were more, but the last item could be IT.... fingers crossed !

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I am willing to help you with this issue as I love the note 2014 as well. Off subject but curious if u downloaded your free version of Hancom Office from the samsung app store? It may help you since u use this for work... so when having high battery drain I would have tried safe mode, checking apps like u did, checking the settings device battery report, then all your sync settings. Those emails and Google syncs KILL your battery. Also I find if u turn off wifi, bluetooth, GPS at night it will save the battery.

Posted via Android Central App

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't have Hancom Office, and believe me, I have just about everything turned off,...... sync, bluetooth, gps, all the smart features, email auto sync, auto update, live wallpaper, screen mirroring, button back lights, etc.