Turn off Pin lock

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When I set up my tablet to work with the wifi at my office, I was forced to use a PIN to lock my Galaxy Note tablet. I can't figure out how to turn it back off. When I go into settings and click on PIN, it just asks me for the number again. Anyone know how to disable that feature? It annoys me.

Posted via Android Central App

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
once you enter the pin to get past the lock screen, go to settings-device-lock screen-screen security

choose how you want the lock screen to behave. if it was set to use a pin, you will need to enter the pin to get in to change it to. then change to swipe (or whatever you want)

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
once you enter the pin to get past the lock screen, go to settings-device-lock screen-screen security

choose how you want the lock screen to behave. if it was set to use a pin, you will need to enter the pin to get in to change it to. then change to swipe (or whatever you want)

When I get to the screen security section, the swipe option is grayed out and cannot be selected. It says "turned off by administrator, encryption storage, or credential storage." Any idea how to fix that?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
lets go back to how or who forced you to pin lock to get on wifi? was this some knox policy or something? other than that I'm not really sure what's going on

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I might need to delete out the wifi connection and start over. Maybe that will give me some instructions on getting rid of it.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
what kind of wifi was it? I've hooked into various wifi network s and never have been asked to do anything with my lock screen

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
When I get to the screen security section, the swipe option is grayed out and cannot be selected. It says "turned off by administrator, encryption storage, or credential storage." Any idea how to fix that?

Go to WiFi - turn it on - long press WiFi - choose advanced - under Proxy - choose None. After that you will be available to choose any security option for lockscreen.
Happens to me before, when tried out VPN and took some time to figure it was VPN that causing swipe option greyed out.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Go to WiFi - turn it on - long press WiFi - choose advanced - under Proxy - choose None. After that you will be available to choose any security option for lockscreen.
Happens to me before, when tried out VPN and took some time to figure it was VPN that causing swipe option greyed out.

Wow, thanks for that info Johnwoo. Other than your posts sometimes hard to read, Im guessing English is not your native language, and you write it far better than I could write any other language, and other than your one misogynistic post about ipads being for women, you are one very smart and helpful person. :)

Last edited:

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Well, it was worth a shot. It didn't work for me. My proxys all are set to none. Bummer.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, it was worth a shot. It didn't work for me. My proxys all are set to none. Bummer.

Forgot that you have to delete any VPN in VPN settings to and that will also remove the pin lock. Do you have any VPN still saved in there?

Wow, thanks for that info Johnwoo. Other than your posts sometimes hard to read, Im guessing English is not your native language, and you write it far better than I could write any other language, and other than your one misogynistic post about ipads being for women, you are one very smart and helpful person. 
Yeah, eng isnt mine mine native lang.
Also Im not a smart person as u says, just have interest in techie stuffs and learn things by follow techs forums.
About ipad post, I dont have any against womens and it was never about ipads and womens either. Dont remember what I wrote, but it was just meant as a fun post only and I apologize if any got upset cause of it.

Galaxy Note SM-P605

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Forgot that you have to delete any VPN in VPN settings to and that will also remove the pin lock. Do you have any VPN still saved in there?

Galaxy Note SM-P605

I don't have any VPNs. I keep thinking that it must have something to do with some of the credentials that were installed when the wifi was set up. I believe 3 credentials were installed, but I'm not sure what one of them is. I tried deleted out two of them, but it didn't solve the problem. I could try clearing out all of the credentials, but I don't actually know what purpose they serve.

It really is a stupid problem. It's not like it affects the quality of the device or anything. It just annoys me. I've set the screen so that the lock doesn't come up for 30 minutes, but that's as long as I can hold it off.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any VPNs. I keep thinking that it must have something to do with some of the credentials that were installed when the wifi was set up. I believe 3 credentials were installed, but I'm not sure what one of them is. I tried deleted out two of them, but it didn't solve the problem. I could try clearing out all of the credentials, but I don't actually know what purpose they serve.

It really is a stupid problem. It's not like it affects the quality of the device or anything. It just annoys me. I've set the screen so that the lock doesn't come up for 30 minutes, but that's as long as I can hold it off.

Hmm...only thing I can come up is the tablet encrypted? Since if device is encrypted or SD card is encrypted and it must use a pin/password. Or some app have forced to use a pin code and you can try to look at device administrator under security and see if there is any app that can cause this.

hokie_prof

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm...only thing I can come up is the tablet encrypted? Since if device is encrypted or SD card is encrypted and it must use a pin/password. Or some app have forced to use a pin code and you can try to look at device administrator under security and see if there is any app that can cause this.

I think I finally figured it out. This article says that I need to delete out all of the credentials on my device. It also makes it sound like that's a dreadful idea. For now, I think I'm going to just deal with my pin number.

Tami Miller

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I am suddenly having same issue on my Note3-I am forced to enter pin to unlock and when I go to settings the option to change to swype or other options are disabled &same message as above that "turned off by administrator....or other encription device. ...any thought?

JuniorI

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Select pattern as the way to lock, set up the pattern and the pin required, then go to the lock screen and enter a wrong pattern until it comes up a option to enter the pin, enter the pin correctly, then just don't choose any method of locking and go back.
And then your free

Enviado do meu SM-P600 atrav?s de Tapatalk

kelliemurray

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Select pattern as the way to lock, set up the pattern and the pin required, then go to the lock screen and enter a wrong pattern until it comes up a option to enter the pin, enter the pin correctly, then just don't choose any method of locking and go back.
And then your free

I put the wrong pattern and it just kept telling me I was entering the wrong pattern...then after several attempts with the wrong pattern it made me wait 30 seconds before allowing me to try again. In other words, this did not work.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I finally figured it out. This article says that I need to delete out all of the credentials on my device. It also makes it sound like that's a dreadful idea. For now, I think I'm going to just deal with my pin number.

I had to do this with my Galaxy S5 to get rid of the FoxFi lock screen. I came across the information earlier but like you were afraid to clear credentials. The app developer finally answered my emails and that's what she said to do. Clear credentials. It's had no effects on my phone other than to remove the stupid lock screen PIN.
Monica

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois