HELP: Cannot Install 3rd Party Apps/APKs!

xflip227x

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I purchased 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Both 2014 editions) for my parents for XMAS. Everytime I go to install a third-party app off of sites LIKE Aptoide, I get to the INSTALL screen, but cannot install the app. I personally own a Note 2 and have owned other Android devices before where all you have to do is check the 'Unknown Sources' box in settings and everything works fine. Can anyone help with this? Also, ROOTING is not really an option here.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I purchased 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Both 2014 editions) for my parents for XMAS. Everytime I go to install a third-party app off of sites LIKE Aptoide, I get to the INSTALL screen, but cannot install the app. I personally own a Note 2 and have owned other Android devices before where all you have to do is check the 'Unknown Sources' box in settings and everything works fine. Can anyone help with this? Also, ROOTING is not really an option here.

Welcome to AC :)
I assume you already have the "unknown sources" box checked, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you get any kind of error screen? I have mine and I can install 3rd party APKs without issue, as long, of course, as the APK is the right version for the tablet.

xflip227x

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No error screen at all. I just get to the screen in the image and cannot click "NEXT or INSTALL." The image is from one of the Note 10.1 2014s and is running Jelly Bean 4.3. I was able to install the same 3rd party app on my Note 2 with no issues. I cannot install the "Aptoide" apk either. Gives me the same problem. And yes I do have the the "unknown sources" box checked.

download_20140306_193941.jpg

Do you get any kind of error screen? I have mine and I can install 3rd party APKs without issue, as long, of course, as the APK is the right version for the tablet.

dashdashdot

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, the first blue light filter app I looked at had just brought out an update to turn off the filter when installing 3rd party apps, so presumably you're not the only person to have spotted this.

Sent with love from one of my Samsungs

Virender Thakur1

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for the information.... you really help me alot. I have also installed Bluelight in my samsung grand2 phone and i was unable to install third party apps. BUELIGHT SUCKSSSSS

ryanrazer

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I can NOT believe that is the case. I was like: "c'mon dude, are you sane? how can an app enable you to do that. There must be a catch."
Than i uninstalled my lastly installed app and voila, it worked.
Thanx a million friend, I was busting my head real hard...

btw, app that caused me that same very problem was: Navigation layer.
Cheers

Anuj Surana

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I figured it out. My father had installed a blue light filter and it was interfering with the touch response...

Hey there! I had the blue light filter too which I uninstalled long back, even before updating it to lollipop. But I'm still unable to install the problem being the same... It would indeed help a lot if could help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PARANOID365

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I hate 2 bring an old thread back from the dead, but I wanted to pass some info on in case anyone is still having this issue as I did, (but don't as of this evening). My issue was caused by a, "Cheetah Media", app. I originally installed their, "battery doctor", app with no issues, and it still works great, (it really does extend the battery life on my OnePlus One, substantially).

I then installed their, "clean master", app which was also working fine. I later installed their, "cm security", app bc the clean master app kept recommending it, constantly. Anyway, that was my issue, and here's why, the clean master app happens to have a few of their other apps, built in, including an anti-virus app, (which I believe is cm security, or a version of it). Like I said, everything was fine, but clean master kept pushing the cm security app, even though I had a version of their security app built in. Well, I thought the built in version was not the same as the standalone cm security, bc it would be pretty stupid of their clean master app to keep recommending the cm security app if I already had it built in.

Well, apparently clean master is that stupid, and Cheetah Media, needs to keep a better eye on their software, and the apps their software incessantly pushes. Anywho, once I deleted the stand alone version of the cm security app, I was once again able to install 3rd party apk's etc. It basically boiled down to the long known reality, "that you should never have more than one, anti-virus/security suite, installed at any one time, or all hell will break loose. It has always been the case with PC's, and apparently Android is no different.

**I also thought that clean master would have been smart enough to uninstall the built in security app, before installing the standalone version, but then again it was stupid enough to recommend the standalone app in the 1st place, gaaaaaayyyyy :eek:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I hate 2 bring an old thread back from the dead, but I wanted to pass some info on in case anyone is still having this issue as I did, (but don't as of this evening). My issue was caused by a, "Cheetah Media", app. I originally installed their, "battery doctor", app with no issues, and it still works great, (it really does extend the battery life on my OnePlus One, substantially).

I then installed their, "clean master", app which was also working fine. I later installed their, "cm security", app bc the clean master app kept recommending it, constantly. Anyway, that was my issue, and here's why, the clean master app happens to have a few of their other apps, built in, including an anti-virus app, (which I believe is cm security, or a version of it). Like I said, everything was fine, but clean master kept pushing the cm security app, even though I had a version of their security app built in. Well, I thought the built in version was not the same as the standalone cm security, bc it would be pretty stupid of their clean master app to keep recommending the cm security app if I already had it built in.

Well, apparently clean master is that stupid, and Cheetah Media, needs to keep a better eye on their software, and the apps their software incessantly pushes. Anywho, once I deleted the stand alone version of the cm security app, I was once again able to install 3rd party apk's etc. It basically boiled down to the long known reality, "that you should never have more than one, anti-virus/security suite, installed at any one time, or all hell will break loose. It has always been the case with PC's, and apparently Android is no different.

**I also thought that clean master would have been smart enough to uninstall the built in security app, before installing the standalone version, but then again it was stupid enough to recommend the standalone app in the 1st place, gaaaaaayyyyy :eek:

About the security apps: Unix and Unix based operating systems (android, Linux, Mac OSX,BSD...) are very different from Microsoft Windows in many ways. In this case I will point out two key differences: 1. Unlike Windows, on android one does not need to worry about RAM management and in most cases clearing the RAM will actually slow down the device because all of the previously running processes have to restart at once (I am only mentioning this point because clean master tries to dupe users into clearing their RAM and you said that you use clean master so I wanted to inform you of this) 2. It is very hard for android to get viruses. Unless you are rooted or are installing apps from places other than the Google play store you do not need to worry about getting viruses, so the only real benefit that you would get from clean master is the cleaning function so you have yet another reason to only have 1 security app or even zero security apps.

PARANOID365

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
About the security apps: Unix and Unix based operating systems (android, Linux, Mac OSX,BSD...) are very different from Microsoft Windows in many ways. In this case I will point out two key differences: 1. Unlike Windows, on android one does not need to worry about RAM management and in most cases clearing the RAM will actually slow down the device because all of the previously running processes have to restart at once (I am only mentioning this point because clean master tries to dupe users into clearing their RAM and you said that you use clean master so I wanted to inform you of this) 2. It is very hard for android to get viruses. Unless you are rooted or are installing apps from places other than the Google play store you do not need to worry about getting viruses, so the only real benefit that you would get from clean master is the cleaning function so you have yet another reason to only have 1 security app or even zero security apps.
Thanx for the info, now I can get rid of the apps, (considering they are more hassle than help), and avoid the annoying ads while I'm at it, lol :rolleyes: I think I'll also take your advice, and just use clean master for the clean feature, (well, maybe, bc the ads are pretty annoying, lol) :rolleyes:

**Man I hate when companies pull that, "deceiving marketing", crap, it truly only hurts them in the end, (actually, I guess not, since so many companies continue such practices, smh).

Thanx again for the info, and the advice, very much appreciated :cool:

HotFusionMan

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, it turns out that Android disallows installing while a filter is active. I thought that was stupid until I realized that a filter could alter the text shown on a button or do other insidious things. But Android should tell you that! And no need to uninstall your filters, just turn them off temporarily for the duration of your app install. As dashdashdot says, there's at least one blue light filter that has a setting to auto-disable itself when you go to install something.

eesa faiz

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it turns out that Android disallows installing while a filter is active. I thought that was stupid until I realized that a filter could alter the text shown on a button or do other insidious things. But Android should tell you that! And no need to uninstall your filters, just turn them off temporarily for the duration of your app install. As dashdashdot says, there's at least one blue light filter that has a setting to auto-disable itself when you go to install something.

I have an Xperia phone but I don't know how to turn off the filter please help....

Arupa Kumar Nanda

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

If you install any app for filter of blue light like luxlite or similar light filter first uninstall them. Try to install other apps.
Hope you will succeed. I have the same problem earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton