Issues killing my 2014 experience

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
These are the core issues that I have had for months which are really forcing me to go back to the 10.1 that I had before it.

- S Pen "detached". This seems common enough for other users, but the solves have involved taping it in so that it's tighter. Afraid to do that and risk getting tape pieces stuck in there. Can I send it into Samsung for repair, or should I just take out the pen and put a Galaxy Tab cover so that I don't have the hole rubbing on my palm.

- Physical buttons. When is Samsung going to wake up with this? I have a ***** of a time writing (which is why I have this, and take notes all day) without hitting them. I've been turning it upside down so that I don't rub them. Is there any way to disable these? I would rather not have them at all to be honest. Perhaps I can fix with Cyanogen version?

- Screen powering on by touch. If you touch the screen it'll power on the device. I've had it sitting in a bag when it's turned itself on and almost fried itself down from 100% to 10% battery life in a hot hole. I'm looking for a setting to disable this, but haven't yet.

- Performance. It's shocking how slow this thing is for the money. Scrolling web pages is sluggish with hiccups along the way and that's maddening. Are there ways to optimize this better? The KitKat image hasn't been made available for download yet, pinning hopes on that. Otherwise again, perhaps a clean Cyanogen install might be a way around?

My Note 3 has much better performance with less idiosyncrasies. Considering this was released first I would have expected the 10.1 to be flawless. It seems very rushed to market. Last weekend I found myself looking at Surface 2 Pros - making a case for what sort of graphic apps I could at least work with in addition to .

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rob.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
These are the core issues that I have had for months which are really forcing me to go back to the 10.1 that I had before it.

- S Pen "detached". This seems common enough for other users, but the solves have involved taping it in so that it's tighter. Afraid to do that and risk getting tape pieces stuck in there. Can I send it into Samsung for repair, or should I just take out the pen and put a Galaxy Tab cover so that I don't have the hole rubbing on my palm.

- Physical buttons. When is Samsung going to wake up with this? I have a ***** of a time writing (which is why I have this, and take notes all day) without hitting them. I've been turning it upside down so that I don't rub them. Is there any way to disable these? I would rather not have them at all to be honest. Perhaps I can fix with Cyanogen version?

- Screen powering on by touch. If you touch the screen it'll power on the device. I've had it sitting in a bag when it's turned itself on and almost fried itself down from 100% to 10% battery life in a hot hole. I'm looking for a setting to disable this, but haven't yet.

- Performance. It's shocking how slow this thing is for the money. Scrolling web pages is sluggish with hiccups along the way and that's maddening. Are there ways to optimize this better? The KitKat image hasn't been made available for download yet, pinning hopes on that. Otherwise again, perhaps a clean Cyanogen install might be a way around?

My Note 3 has much better performance with less idiosyncrasies. Considering this was released first I would have expected the 10.1 to be flawless. It seems very rushed to market. Last weekend I found myself looking at Surface 2 Pros - making a case for what sort of graphic apps I could at least work with in addition to .

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rob.

How is physical buttons an issue? I personally didn't like the digital buttons on the nexus 5 or 7 that i had personally.

And how is it slow? doesnt it have 3GB of Ram? maybe it is the exynos cpu a 1.9 or 1.2 GHZ cpu ( I believe the 2nd one is a 1.2ghz cpu) which is slower then the Snapdragon 800 which is 2.3 GHZ

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
With the buttons it really gets in the way of writing. My arm physically will touch them and either pull up a menu or try to go back. It's not a fluke, or where I'm sloppy, it's a legit issue for writers. The speed? Yes, people had called it out during reviews as being sluggish (astoundingly) and it is. 3GB and Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15. Seems the GPU for the large resolution is at the heart of it?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
With the buttons it really gets in the way of writing. My arm physically will touch them and either pull up a menu or try to go back. It's not a fluke, or where I'm sloppy, it's a legit issue for writers. The speed? Yes, people had called it out during reviews as being sluggish (astoundingly) and it is. 3GB and Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15. Seems the GPU for the large resolution is at the heart of it?

The launcher is sluggish...performance in apps has never been an issue for the exynos. The exynos 5450 pushing 25*16 asserts around performs similarly to a Galaxy S5 running 19*1080 if that's any indication. A couple of hitches while navigating your home screen is an annoyance...not a performance issue.

How is your screen kicking on by touch? The only way the screen powers on is if you hit the home or power button? There's no "knock knock", tech in this tab...if you've downloaded some bull**** app to try and replicate that experience...its problems are on you...not the tablet. What you're describing sounds like a case waking your tab inside your bag...if so...I suggest getting a new case.

Also...what browser are you using. I use chrome and I don't get the same thing you're reporting /shrug

Posted via Android Central App

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
well - running nova launcher, don't have anything on the home screen other than a couple zooper widgets. Just use the app drawer. The two apps that I have most gripes about are Chrome (not the beta) and Lecture notes. Both when using gestures - maybe biased because iOS always handles gestures flawlessly (spare the flames, I'm on my 4th Android device now). Lecture notes is a different story, don't expect a perfectly built app from the dev. However... as devices are released they should be optimized for flawless basic functionality - especially when it's the most expensive in the market. I think you're right about the case, it covers the power button so maybe a slight amount of movement enough to trigger it as a result.

Last on performance... the games I do use run wonderfully and the screen is beautiful.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
well - running nova launcher, don't have anything on the home screen other than a couple zooper widgets. Just use the app drawer. The two apps that I have most gripes about are Chrome (not the beta) and Lecture notes. Both when using gestures - maybe biased because iOS always handles gestures flawlessly (spare the flames, I'm on my 4th Android device now). Lecture notes is a different story, don't expect a perfectly built app from the dev. However... as devices are released they should be optimized for flawless basic functionality - especially when it's the most expensive in the market. I think you're right about the case, it covers the power button so maybe a slight amount of movement enough to trigger it as a result.

Last on performance... the games I do use run wonderfully and the screen is beautiful.

Read my thread "Speeding up Chrome on our tablets !!" it should hopefully help you out with Chrome... I definitely notice a difference !

The Jerry

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
A couple of hitches while navigating your home screen is an annoyance...not a performance issue.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. Exactly what is your definition of the word performance?

I traded in an iPad Air for my first Android and there's pros and cons to each. The specs of the iPad with it's measly 1GB of ram should pale in comparison to the Note, but the iPad is smooth as butter where the Note chugs and hiccups on many simple actions. I'm not switching back, I like the stylus too much, but if you're honest and know your tech you know Apple run a much tighter ship in terms of efficiency and optimization. Admittedly that's due to the tight integration of software and hardware, something you can't get ( and don't want ) with Android.

To leave on a positive note, I have found testing my apps is much smoother on Android. I'm enjoying the tighter build/test cycle :)

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say this, your complaints are similar to mine. I seriously dislike the personal buttons. And I am constantly amazed at those who ask, What lag. Seriously, the 2012 for me provided a better user experience. As for Nova Prime, still lag. As for Chrome, still lag. The on/off issue and the physical keys are the major annoyances for me. It has been stable though. Yep.

Sent via my Note 8

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say this, your complaints are similar to mine. I seriously dislike the personal buttons. And I am constantly amazed at those who ask, What lag. Seriously, the 2012 for me provided a better user experience. As for Nova Prime, still lag. As for Chrome, still lag. Extensive Lecture Notes user and the time involved in closing a file. The on/off issue and the physical keys are the major annoyances for me. It has been stable though. Yep.

Sent via my Note 8

Sent via my Note 8

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, again feel I need to prove my Android worthiness, but apples closed ecosystem makes dialogs about CPU performance and RAM irrelevant. When I have to type on my keyboard with delays sporadically happening... I can tell you my 3 ipads and 2 iPhone never did it. But neither did my note 2 or note 10.1. This and the gesture hiccups isn't nitpicking. It affects what you're trying to do. Keyboard input is such a low level task. It shouldn't warrant discussion about how to optimize chrome, what's run in the background or what mall ware I've got. Apple users will also recognize I've this as a 1998 discussion pc/Mac schism. I'm a convert, just wanted to know if I should root it and use a custom ROM to fix it. The stylus issue btw, I just fixed by adding pipe tape to it so that it fits in more snugly. Great way to develop loyalty with my $500 tablet.

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I hate to say this, your complaints are similar to mine. I seriously dislike the personal buttons. And I am constantly amazed at those who ask, What lag. Seriously, the 2012 for me provided a better user experience. As for Nova Prime, still lag. As for Chrome, still lag. The on/off issue and the physical keys are the major annoyances for me. It has been stable though. Yep.

Sent via my Note 8

Wait you're experience the device turning itself on as well?

I can understand people ******** about random apps being garbage. But not Chrome or Nova or SwiftKey. Have them running on multiple devices. Only one crapping the bed is the 2014 tablet. I have dealt with physical keys by holding it upside down. And now I've added tape to the stylus.

Any one put a custom ROM on it?

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Nobody believes me with the lag of this device. I am returning it tomorrow to best uy.com after 32 days. I'm going to try the tab pro since I don't use the pen. Wanted this to work out but I hate it more than enjoy it

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that some of you are having problems. However, I do not have this lag. Compared to my to be sold iPad, this things flies. By far, this is the best tablet I have ever used.

robschaap

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Compared to my to be sold iPad, this things flies. By far, this is the best tablet I have ever used.

Have had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen of iPad, and honestly there is no discernable difference between performance amongst themselves. That's ideal. Differences came into play with size in my hand, weight, screen resolution, Javascript handling or new OS updates. Otherwise I was never conscious of the device.

Anyway, i'm at risk of starting a flame war sorry. My note 2 and 3 have been wonderful devices that I truly love more than any iphone i had. I just want to rectify my issue with this thing and move on. Otherwise I will sell it and go back to the 2012 model for the time being. Only thing I've gained that's useful for me is the screen's resolution.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The lag is there. Multiple seconds to wake it up. Often times multiple key presses to wake it up. TouchWhiz/Nova Prime the cause/solution? No, the lag is still there. The occasional Bluetooth hiccup. Far from perfect.

Sent via my Note 8

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yea... The Exynos is the problem ... I would of gotten the Snapdragon 800 version but personally way to expensive to buy to not even use the LTE option

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen of iPad, and honestly there is no discernable difference between performance amongst themselves. That's ideal. Differences came into play with size in my hand, weight, screen resolution, Javascript handling or new OS updates. Otherwise I was never conscious of the device.

Anyway, i'm at risk of starting a flame war sorry. My note 2 and 3 have been wonderful devices that I truly love more than any iphone i had. I just want to rectify my issue with this thing and move on. Otherwise I will sell it and go back to the 2012 model for the time being. Only thing I've gained that's useful for me is the screen's resolution.

It sucks that you are having so many problems. Even though mine works great (I hope it stays that way), I can empathize. I have had some bad luck with some Apple products where few can believe it. Unfortunately, they are real. Perhaps, selling your Note is your best option? If you really want a note tablet (I have had good luck with mine -note 10.1 2014 and Note 8 and I love them), if you can afford it, the note pro 12.2 seems to be getting very favorable reviews across the web. Good luck with your decision.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It sucks that you are having so many problems. Even though mine works great (I hope it stays that way), I can empathize. I have had some bad luck with some Apple products where few can believe it. Unfortunately, they are real. Perhaps, selling your Note is your best option? If you really want a note tablet (I have had good luck with mine -note 10.1 2014 and Note 8 and I love them), if you can afford it, the note pro 12.2 seems to be getting very favorable reviews across the web. Good luck with your decision.

The thing is...that's the same thing just bigger screen. Same processor and everything else but bigger screen and USB 3.0 on the note pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The thing is...that's the same thing just bigger screen. Same processor and everything else but bigger screen and USB 3.0 on the note pro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're right. However, it seems that there are fewer problems? Like I said, my 10.1 2014 works really well. But from my readings, with the 12.2, user satisfaction is higher.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. However, it seems that there are fewer problems? Like I said, my 10.1 2014 works really well. But from my readings, with the 12.2, user satisfaction is higher.

Also Running kit Kat...ours is not. Big difference...