Galaxy Note 10.1: To Root or not to Root, that is the question!

Stump3r

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm perplexed. I like keeping my devices stock, however my last Note 10.1 I did root and didn't experience any issues other than not being able to have factory updates install automatically. I really need to have the multi-window feature on my tablet run more apps than it currently does and the only possible way to acheive this is to root. I'm super hesitant as I use my tablet for damn near everything. Has anyone rooted and intalled the multi window manager? Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Estridge

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: To Root or not to Root, that is the question!

Yes and its totally worth it. Don't worry man. I went through it all with root and my device is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Stump3r

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Russell, which root method did you use? Can you shoot me a link? I'm just going to bite the bullet, root and be happy I guess :D

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm in the same boat...I've never rooted before (I tend to like the stock as well), but I want different apps in the S pen window too. Any direction would be appreciated! Can I root and still have it feel like it's stock?

?~best phone in the known Galaxy~?

Stump3r

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat...I've never rooted before (I tend to like the stock as well), but I want different apps in the S pen window too. Any direction would be appreciated! Can I root and still have it feel like it's stock?

Root and don't look back! I just rooted my tablet, installed Multi Window manager and now have all the apps I wanted to do spit window...in split window. I can finally quit looking at Surface Pro 2's and wondering if they will do what I want. I have a new love for this tablet now. It will get the ultimate test next week at work as I'll leave the laptop on my desk and venture out with my tablet only.

Here is a quick and easy way to root your tablet being as you've never done it before.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) - Android Central

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Root and don't look back! I just rooted my tablet, installed Multi Window manager and now have all the apps I wanted to do spit window...in split window. I can finally quit looking at Surface Pro 2's and wondering if they will do what I want. I have a new love for this tablet now. It will get the ultimate test next week at work as I'll leave the laptop on my desk and venture out with my tablet only.

Here is a quick and easy way to root your tablet being as you've never done it before.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) - Android Central

I rooted my Tab 10.1 and while I could use every app in multi-window on the Tab (it didn't have multi-window natively), many of the apps weren't programmed for multi-window and thus I only saw half of the app in multi-window. Have the ROMs for the Note 10.1 solved this?

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Is rooting the only way to get rid of the applications and bloat ware (useless ware) that Samsung so "graciously provides" ...

Dale

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Is rooting the only way to get rid of the applications and bloat ware (useless ware) that Samsung so "graciously provides" ...

Dale

Yes, it is. I just read a great review that did have one line that I thought was perfect. He said regarding the "bloatware" that a number of the programs are, in fact, quite useful. For ones that aren't, it's easy enough to delete the icons from your home screen and forget about them, and truthfully, if samsung DIDN'T preinstall any software, the same people complaining about bloatware would complain that they're not getting value for their money and accuse samsung of getting lazy or dropping the ball. Just my two cents.

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Additionally, I found an app that claims to allow most programs to be included in the window manager. I downloaded it, but have yet to try it out. If it's good, that eliminates any reason for me wanting to root.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Small DISCLAIMER here:... I don't mean all the app Samsung included, but there are "some" that take up space and do nothing for me... But yes there are many useful ones the come with tablet also... I would just like to selectively remove certain apps...

Dale

Remaxmatt

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Small DISCLAIMER here:... I don't mean all the app Samsung included, but there are "some" that take up space and do nothing for me... But yes there are many useful ones the come with tablet also... I would just like to selectively remove certain apps...

Dale

I get that. There are a few that I know I'll never use either. Unfortunately there's no way of removing them without rooting (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

One of the really sweet things about this tablet is the expandable memory slot...with an additional 64gb, that should make it a bit easier to ignore an unwanted app.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Having unrestricted Multi-view, ability to debloat, l and back up data are the ONLY reason I want root.
However, rooting this tablet will trip KNOX, hence no more warranty. This is my only concern as I had this issue before (long story...).

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Can someone outline what they've done with rooted device? I've rooted mine and removed unwanted apps and functions like S voice and others (my magazine included). .

I rooted because my battery sucks and device was heating up too much. So seems to have helped somewhat. But what apps and things can I do now?

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Can someone outline what they've done with rooted device? I've rooted mine and removed unwanted apps and functions like S voice and others (my magazine included). .

I rooted because my battery sucks and device was heating up too much. So seems to have helped somewhat. But what apps and things can I do now?

I installed SB GAME HACKER. It let's you modify the data files of apps so you can get unlimited money and xp in almost any game!

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Be very careful with what you delete. You don't want to delete something that will create problems with the device such as reboots or worse, a non-responsive device.

Instead of deleting, you may want to move or backup the files. Is there anything you feel you need the device to do? Since you are rooted, Titanium Backup (My Backup Pro, Karbon are also good as well) is a good utility to have that allows you to backup Apps and data. Something very important to have (in my opinion) if you are a root user.

raindroptree

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I would like to know if rooting the galaxy now 10.1 2014 version would allow me to enhance my browsing experience. I do a lot of Web design and I would like to update sites on the go with this tablet. The current browsing experience has too many blocks and faults when it comes to Web design ex. Drag and drop isn't supported, every site wants me to download an app, although desktop view is active, the mobile browsers do not support a lot of things that are necessary for Web design. I am hoping that root is my answer to these road blocks. I know the tablet is perfectly capable of running all of the necessary functions.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Can someone outline what they've done with rooted device?
My only reason to root was to allow me to store working files on the SD card. I use my tablet for work, including filling out of pdf forms and making pdfs out of scanned documents, so having those files on the card rather than in internal memory is critical for me (I bought the 16 GB version because I planned to store all my stuff on the SD).

Rooting this device was extremely easy, and I'm very glad I did it. Warranty is not a huge concern for me, but I can understand others being reluctant.

gesture left

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, i realize that this is an old post but i was just wondering if there was a way to run stock lollipop and still have the multi tasking features? I realize that this is a big ask and no way of doing this probably exists, but i thought i should ask just in case. :)

Ellison Rose

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever get this question answered? I've been debating whether or not to root, and this is one my issues as well. It would be a big plus for rooting if it gave me this flexibility.

I've had my tablet for nearly two years, and have thought about rooting before, but instead just did a factory reset and was pretty happy with the result. But here I am again, with this thing getting bogged down and slow, and honestly I'm sick to death of constantly choosing between way too many applications. And also why can't you attach a document from the Documents folder? It has to be in downloads or recents or in dropbox. I've figured out a lot of the little tricks, but jeeze, it really can be a pain.

I've never rooted or modded a device before, and as appealing as the freedom is, I'm a bit nervous. Do you guys really think it's worth it?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You really have to have a "specific" need(s) to root any device. Don't do it to play around. If all you want to do is kill bloat, then install/use programs like Debloater or Package Disabler Pro. Also, be careful of what you disable using these programs or you'll end up having to factory reset your tablet just to get back in.