MuitiWindow on Kitkat update just received today

Bob OHara

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Question; wasn't their something about the Android Kitkat 4.4.2 update offering 4 windows for the Multiwindow feature rather than the 2 the Note 2014 had originally? Was I imagining things? If not how does one use it

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
In latest update (4.4.2) on P-600 its there (on mine) ...First go to "Devices" under "Settings" and turn on "Multi window"... Then from right side of screen, swipe to left and it will open "menu" just tap application you want to run, it will open a "new window", with others...

To close apps, long press on Home button, and you can either shut down all apps, or select "Task Manager" (new feature) and end selected apps...

Dale

Last edited:

Bob OHara

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
But it still only displays the 2 apps at one time on the screen doesn't it. Read somewhere that with the Kitkat update it would display 4?

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
In latest update (4.4.2) on P-600 its there (on mine) ...First go to "Devices" under "Settings" and turn on "Multi window"... Then from right side of screen, swipe to left and it will open "menu" just tap application you want to run, it will open a "new window", with others...

To close apps, long press on Home button, and you can either shut down all apps, or select "Task Manager" (new feature) and end selected apps...

Dale

You can use 4 apps at the same time?

Sent from the yummy gum drop GN3..

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You can use 4 apps at the same time?

Sent from the yummy gum drop GN3..

Yes. Just drag and drop 4 apps from your MultiWindow sidebar to the screen...
yny6a4uv.jpg

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried it many times and can only get two windows. Are you rooted?

Yes, my tablet is rooted and running stock kitkat. You still should be able to do 4 at a time without root. Screenshot from the Help section at the bottom of the multi window sidebar...
erehy3aq.jpg

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone one else reported being able to open more than two windows in Multi-view UNrooted with KK?
Dale, is your tablet rooted?

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Nope..Not rooted (yet)...It would seem the the blue dot in "divider" allows you to open up a set of tools, the top tool appears to be a "application switch(er)"... If you press it, it brings up the applications as "tiles" or what ever.... You just select what app you want to work in.... Next tool down is "switch to full window"...

You can also open same app in multiple windows (maybe for stare and compare)....

Details are pretty well explained if you go to "Help, then "tap" Multi-window..

I just have not worked with it enough like "ipt2569" to get it all sorted out.... So far only two apps...

Dale

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Dale. I haven't updated to KK yet. I usually let the dust settle before I update an OS, be it on my phone or computer and will probably do the same with my tablet :)

Blackbeagle

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Really? How many people need to have 4 windows up at a time? I mean 2 is a good idea and I've used it a lot. Youtube and a web browser. But four? Cmon? Why would you even need to do that? Remember back about 7-8 years ago when picture in picture TVs were the sh_ts? That was the biggest selling point for modern TVs. They stopped making that feature because nobody cared about picture in picture. They just want to look at one picture.

Soloberry

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi I just upgraded yesterday and can confirm only 2 apps on Multiwindow. You can open other apps, but the stack option in the middle blue divider will only show 2 to the right or left of the window, in which you can toggle which to view and/or switch with whatever you already have open.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
True progress. Can't talk though, having stated I would not go to Kitty Kat due to one major issue, I did it. Slightly reduced the lag and now extra work to maintain the card. True progress.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm confused... Can you or can you not run 4 windows with the new KitKat update? Hahaha I just updated a few days ago but haven't tried it and my tablet is at home :p

For those who have gotten it to work (the help file stating 4 windows is pretty much proof enough), are you sure this is a Note 10.1 2014? Haha And I don't think being rooted or not would make a difference, unless you've installed some of the 'hacks' out there that let you not only open 4 windows, they also let you open ANY app in multiwindow mode.

I know the 4-window mode is dormant in the code (had been ever since the original release), but if I recall correctly, this was not to be activated even with an update, at least officially.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm confused... Can you or can you not run 4 windows with the new KitKat update? Hahaha I just updated a few days ago but haven't tried it and my tablet is at home :p

For those who have gotten it to work (the help file stating 4 windows is pretty much proof enough), are you sure this is a Note 10.1 2014? Haha And I don't think being rooted or not would make a difference, unless you've installed some of the 'hacks' out there that let you not only open 4 windows, they also let you open ANY app in multiwindow mode.

I know the 4-window mode is dormant in the code (had been ever since the original release), but if I recall correctly, this was not to be activated even with an update, at least officially.

I can. I'm rooted, running the stock KitKat ROM by Hashcheck over at XDA. As far as I can tell no tweaks were added for running 4 windows at once. I do use the MultiWindow Plus app, that allows me to add any of my apps to the multiwindow, but that has nothing to do with the ability to run 4 at a time.

Raymond Hubbard

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The help screen for Kit Kat on the Note 10.1 (2014 edition) on mine says you can use 5 apps for pop-up view and multi view says 2 apps. What is the difference for pop- view and multiview window? Help screen is not super helpful. At least 4.3 had a full pdf manual could download. Have not seen anything KitKat yet.