tablet heating upper right area after kit kat update

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I updated my tablet two days ago and since then I have noticed that it has been heating up around the upper right area, where the s pen is located. Any one else having this issue? I really wish they tested this update before releasing it.

Is there a way to uninstall this update.
Thanks in advance
Mig

Last edited:

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: tablet heating upper right area

Mine has been getting warmer than it used to since the update in the same area. I pulled the spen out and it was very warm.

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site

What apps are you using? Most of the time I have been using flip board and using the default browser. I am beginning to think it a WiFi thing. Do you or anyone reading this know where the antenna is located? I can rule out Bluetooth since I rarely use it and have not used it since the update.
If this persists, I am considering restoring it to factory settings if I can't find a way to uninstall.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Is it real?.... I noticed a warm area when first got tablet and now 4 months later its still there with no increase in temperature with KitKat...

Only antenna mentioned in manual is in about same area as SD card slot and its the GPS antenna and only caution in manual is to not to block it as it may cause erratic GPS signals ...

Dale

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Hi Dale, my tablet never got warm like it is now. Even while playing games and streaming music, it never got this warm.
So the antenna is around the SD card..then I guess it might be something else then. Thanks

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Might be location of one of the processors... Maybe display or main CPU... Just a shot in dark.... Can't seem to find much information on internal architecture....

Dale

sir_miggy

May 3, 2014
Visit site

I have watched a video of a repair of the tablet on YouTube, unfortunately I can't seem to tell what devices are located in the area where it is getting warm. Today I haven't been streaming any music and it hasn't gotten warm.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's the processor getting warm. Under heavy use before kitkat it would get warm. Now just surfing the Web with the tablet makes it warm. Definitely a difference from before.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too, especially when using the S-Pen. The first time I booted up after the update and pulled out the S-Pen, it got H O T. Even input was sooooo laggy. But I rebooted and it went back to normal, but it does feel like it gets warm up there. But again, it does get warmer when using the S-Pen. Maybe the S-Pen sensors are near? Don't know.

Since I also noticed better battery since the update (especially in Standby) and snappier overall performance, I'm willing to 'live' with the warmth :p

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
This is the processor getting hot. It has nothing to do with the KitKat upgrade and everything to do with an application using a lot of CPU time. There are a number of utilities to determine what is eating up CPU time.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is the processor getting hot. It has nothing to do with the KitKat upgrade and everything to do with an application using a lot of CPU time. There are a number of utilities to determine what is eating up CPU time.
I'd buy this... if my tablet had done the same BEFORE the update. Like the OP says, doing the SAME ACTIVITY before the update and after it, yields different results in the warming up department, so the app, if unchanged, shouldn't affect. Something changed with the KitKat update, and at least in my experience, it improved other aspects of the tablet enough to make me look past the warming up thing.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the operating system a program? The only thing different from before is the operating system. The kitkat update is causing the cpu temps to increase. Period!

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
This is ridiculously funny.... Processor does same work at same speeds no matter if nothing (idling with no apps executing) is running or things are going full tilt, and processor runs at a set speed set by system clock which is hardware...... Operating system changes does not do anything for how fast or how hot processor gets....

Processor was at a given speed with Jelly Bean and it is at same speed with Kit Kat.... Learn about the hardware before you go off sounding so official and trying to sound knowledgeable.... As far as I can tell processor is running at a constant 1.8 to1.9 ghz (hardware research) and there should be nothing in software to change this....

Dale

Last edited:

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Its actually 250mhz to 1.9 ghz, and the cpu tempratures are dependant on cpu load. Kitkat is obviously loading the processor more than jelly bean was.

I opened mine up to see what was going on and found it to be the exynos processor. It gets so hot with the cover off you can't really even touch it. Here is a picture I took.

20140505_213133_zpshlip1e5_edit_1399355179112_zpscfy9cfh_edit_1399355230477_zpstxqnl71b.jpg

Last edited:

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have found that my note get hot in that corner especially when playing certain games like family guy or sometimes watching a movie. I'm still currently running jelly bean.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you're playing CPU-intensive games it did get hot before, but now after the update it gets hot when doing 'everyday stuff' like web browsing. Well, it gets warm... if you use an app that really throttles the CPU then yeah, it gets hotter, like geoff said.

Dale_M... well, we're not trying to sound like experts, but should you? CPUs aren't always running at full speed, and that's the whole point of the system and Samsung's implementation (or any manufacturer's, for that matter). When needed, the CPU slows down or speeds up, uses one or more cores at the same time for the same process, uses one for one thing and another for a different task, etc. This is even stated clearly in the "Power Saving Mode" setting in the tablet. If your 'theory' were true, battery would last the same no matter if you were surfing the web or playing a graphic-intensive game.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Have been playing with microprocessors system since the mid 1980's, and most system I have run into have constant speed clocks... And processor processes 'x' number of operations second whether its sitting there waiting for a valid operation to do or running full tilt... Would like to see documentation where speed of this particular processor is dependent on work load (simple link to web site will do) ....

Have not yet run into a processor with a variable clock rate,,,, Hardware clock generally determines processor speed, not load.... All operation inside unit depend on system clock so all operations stay in sync, even graphics processor and wifi and bluetooth and GPS operation need to sync with system clock..... Can you imaging the kayos inside a unit and how poorly it would operate (if it did at all) if all processes decided to run at their own rate/frequency...

Dale

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Here you go... CPU Governors.
[GUIDE] CPU Governors Explained in Detail for Android.... - xda-developers

If you're rooted, you can tweak all these settings at will. If not, Samsung's implementation takes over and decides what the best setting for the CPU is depending on what you're currently loading the tablet with. From what I've heard, Samsung's tweaks focus mostly on how many and which cores to use (remember this tablet has an Octacore Exynos processor with little.Big architecture) rather than messing with frequencies.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the operating system a program? The only thing different from before is the operating system. The kitkat update is causing the cpu temps to increase. Period!

Some apps will react differently to different versions of the OS. So, even though the only thing that changed was the OS, some apps may be behaving very differently. In fact, some apps no longer work at all under KitKat.

The solution is simple, but arduous. Do a factory reset. Install no apps. Is battery time ok? If so, then it's not the OS. Install a new app. Is battery ok? If so, repeat until the bad app. I did this once on an earlier version of Android and found that Shazaam was a battery hog. Surprised me.

geoffwhite18

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
You are right. It could be one of the apps wigging out. I did a factory reset after the update but that didn't seem to help. I actually have a thred titled "refresh after update" suggesting that everyone do the same. Yesterday I installed a cpu monitoring app to see what processes are using the most cpu time. When I figure it out I will report back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci