KitKat Update: Likes and Dislikes

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Might be a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask... I have a NON-ROOTED Note 10.1 2014 edition Tab and I "was" very happy with it UNTIL the update to KitKat... much like others, had I known that they were going to block the SD card I wouldn't have updated... So today I decided to ROOT the tablet in an effort to see if such applications like Dropbox Sync, etc, would write to it... and the APP still can't write to the SD card...!! I can Sync the files locally and then move them to the SD card, but thats a PITA...!!

So my question is... now that I"m rooted on the tab, is there anyway to UNBLOCK the write access... or even flash the OS back to 4.3 and block future updates...??

Thoughts... ??

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
My streak of luck with the 10.1 seems to have ended with the kit kat update. I never had any lag issues, had great battery life, and was absolutely in love with mine from day one when I got it in Oct 2013. I switched to nova launcher prime, not for speed (again it was already lightning) but for customizability. Unfortunately I seem to be having issues now after the update and even after a factory reset. Other than the look and feel and issues with the new format itself, my battery life is down, I get some lag and unresponsiveness, most times when i select something from the drop down status panel it clears it from the list and doesnt take me anywhere. My start up time is slower and my minimal widgets take a long time to load on my panels whereas before they were there as the screen appeared.

It's so crazy how people with the same device can have opposite experiences throughout the whole evolution of the device. Keeping my fingers crossed. And I'm still in love with it just frustrated. If there was a way to go back I'd stick with pre-kit kat til the end of time.

Also, finally upgrading my cell phone and getting a Note 3... super excited to see how it works, can't believe it ALSO makes phone calls haha. I'm going to have to start lifting at the gym and buying shorts with giant pockets though!

Thank you for your info, you have convinced me even more not to bite that stupid KitKat.

Skytracker

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Greetings from New Zealand

I recently updated my new and perfectly working Galaxy Note to Kit Kat and ever since I did it has become intermittently unstable.
It sometimes works just fine for a whole session, but mostly only lasts a few minutes (sometimes seconds) before freezing and returning to the opening screen.
Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers
G

RoystonB

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, but I do not understand............................ Samsung make the Note 10.1 2014 edition with an external SD Card, and then updates the system so that one can not use the SD Card. Are they Educated Idiots or what?

If it was a mistake, why are they still letting their customers, who paid a lot of money for this item, carry on updating to a broken system?

Perhaps I should have listened to my Son and purchased an iPad.

I have not updated to KitKat and will be very resistant to update to the next few updates if the Samsung treat their customers this way. Very sad. Not me, Samsung.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's not demonize the wrong guy here. Samsung DID NOT remove SD Card support. You can still use it. However, it was Google that limited how much you can use the SD Card for. And since Samsung uses Google's underlying software (Android), it must abide by the rules. But the truth remains that the SD Card slot is still usable. You can still store media and files on the card and access them in your device, but now Android's newest security schemes restrict how much non-system apps can actually do with the files they have not created on the SD Card, how much they can access, and for performance/security reasons, apps cannot run from SD cards anymore (unless rooted/hacked, but that's another story).

I didn't like that move from Google, but I understand it.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, but I do not understand............................ Samsung make the Note 10.1 2014 edition with an external SD Card, and then updates the system so that one can not use the SD Card. Are they Educated Idiots or what?

If it was a mistake, why are they still letting their customers, who paid a lot of money for this item, carry on updating to a broken system?

Perhaps I should have listened to my Son and purchased an iPad.

I have not updated to KitKat and will be very resistant to update to the next few updates if the Samsung treat their customers this way. Very sad. Not me, Samsung.

First of all you can still use your sd card on kitkat, you just cannot download files to it unless you root your tablet (there are sd card fixes for rooted tablets). Second of all there are other non-Samsung Android tablets that are much better than the IPad. Third of all the sd card issue is Google ' s fault not Samsung's fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678