Charger shuts down after a few seconds on standby

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a different charging issue. I don't get the red x indicating connection to a computer or faulty cable.

My problem is that connecting any cable (including the ridiculously short Samsung cable) charges for about 30 seconds while in standby (screen off but tablet turned on), then the screen lights up as if it has been unplugged and the lightning bolt disappears. This is after the kitkat update which installed immediately when I unboxed it the other day. It also does it when completely turned on, but it takes longer.

To date I have not used the included charger as it has Hong Kong/UK pins (an adapter was included with this grey import into Australia). I can't imagine that that would be the problem as the charger I am using is a 12W iPad charger (although it does it with a 10W iPad charger as well). I will try that with the adapter when I get home. Both Hong Kong and Australia use 240V mains.

I have tried all the usual power-saving tricks like turning off wifi, bluetooth, GPS, clearing RAM, etc.

This is clearly a software problem due to the difference between screen off or on. Can anyone suggest a solution? Factory reset?

Thanks,

Michael

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a different charging issue. I don't get the red x indicating connection to a computer or faulty cable.

My problem is that connecting any cable (including the ridiculously short Samsung cable) charges for about 30 seconds while in standby (screen off but tablet turned on), then the screen lights up as if it has been unplugged and the lightning bolt disappears. This is after the kitkat update which installed immediately when I unboxed it the other day. It also does it when completely turned on, but it takes longer.

To date I have not used the included charger as it has Hong Kong/UK pins (an adapter was included with this grey import into Australia). I can't imagine that that would be the problem as the charger I am using is a 12W iPad charger (although it does it with a 10W iPad charger as well). I will try that with the adapter when I get home. Both Hong Kong and Australia use 240V mains.

I have tried all the usual power-saving tricks like turning off wifi, bluetooth, GPS, clearing RAM, etc.

This is clearly a software problem due to the difference between screen off or on. Can anyone suggest a solution? Factory reset?

Thanks,

Michael

Well, I wouldn't suggest you to move forward with a factory reset, What I am going to suggest is as you're device is just unboxed and I am sure you are having active warranty better to walk down your nearest customer support seeking replacement.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I might just do that, as I just did a factory reset in the mean time and it made no difference, other than steal an hour of my life reconfiguring it.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Today I went to my local Samsung dealer and bought a couple of Samsung 10W travel adapters, after trying them in the store. The adapter included with the tablet (with a HK/UK plug) also worked without the above issue.

I have no idea why it should make sense that the Apple 12W charger would cause the tablet to behave as if it had completed charging, as I understood such chargers to merely supply the current as it is demanded, rather than "push" it as it were, frying or otherwise overloading the circuitry.

The Australian one is a 2 Amp 5 volt charger, whereas the HK one is 5.3 volt, 2 amp. This doesn't seem to make a difference to performance. Maybe it has something to do with Hong Kong having 220 volts rather than 240 volts AC mains, but I don't really know.

Anyway, for the first time ever since my first iPad in 2010, I can only use the recommended power adapter, hence my having bought two of them.

charles777

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I saw a few posts on XDA from people who have the same issue... they report that since updating to KitKat, non Samsung chargers will not work. The original that came with the tablet still works fine. No solution but just so you know that you are not alone.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Samsung charger put out 5.1 volts at 2100ma (roughly 10 watts) but some charger do not have a high enough voltage rating.... Look at specifications on i-pad charge and see what voltage it operates at..... probably 4.9 volts or there abouts...

Dale

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I would also suggest check the voltage of the adapter I have one that came with the tablet and one that came with my S3. The only difference between the two is the tablet adapter is 5.2volt ant the S3 adapter is 5 volts. I also get the red cross on the battery icon if I plug the tablet into certain usb ports on my pc

Posted via Android Central App

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
USB ports on PC are only good for about 800ma....That is about 1/3 what tablet requires for proper charge...That is why the red "x"....

Dale

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsung charger put out 5.1 volts at 2100ma (roughly 10 watts) but some charger do not have a high enough voltage rating.... Look at specifications on i-pad charge and see what voltage it operates at..... probably 4.9 volts or there abouts...

Dale

I think it is a Samsung issue, as the Hong Kong Samsung charger that came with my tablet is 5.3V/2.0Amp. The iPad charger is 5.0V/2.0Amp, but the Australian Samsung charger is 5.0V/2.0Amp. I queried the Samsung guy why the iPad and Australian Samsung chargers with identical power and voltage/current combinations would be so different. And that is not even considering the 12W iPad charger, which still wouldn't work. I think that Charles777 is on the money and that it is a software issue in combination with some kind of signal in the Samsung charger, in the same way as Apple can distinguish between cables it licences and discount store cables that it does not.