Samsung keyboard autocorrect random case errors

mdye

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this weird and unpredictable issue with Samsung's stock keyboard: randomly while typing, it will capitalize small words beginning with I - eg, I type "it" and the keyboard corrects it to "It." The same thing happens with is. It will also convert "I" to "i". It seems to happen most when I'm typing quickly, while using hangouts or similar. Frequently when I type "it is" or "this is" it will capitalize "is" about half of the time, but tends to do it less when I type slower. The weirdest thing is when the keyboard does it, it won't even offer the the correct case (the one I actually typed) as an alternate suggestion in the candidate bar. And it will underline the corrected word, and if I tap it - the word that is - it shows what I originally typed which *is correct*, almost as if it's mocking me.

Now, I know, the obvious solution is SwiftKey or similar. And that's actually the keyboard I use most. However, on the rare occasion that I use my Bluetooth keyboard it switches to the Samsung keyboard, and honestly, I don't hate the Samsung keyboard in purely ergonomic terms. I just wish it made more sense.

Has anyone noticed this? Or am I the only one who even tries to use the Samsung keyboard?

kdog509adam75

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Your not alone. :) I finally had to turn that auto-correct off. It was driving me nuts, but more importantly, even after I changed the "corrected" word to what I wanted, it changed it back.

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same here I've also found that it sometimes places a capital on the word if I place a ? at the end if i don't usea space. For example... really ? And Really?

Posted via Android Central App

Dr Law

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
...... also noticed the annoying capitalisation of the question marked word (unless you make a space first), but also the next word after the question mark is never capitalised...... A double whammy !
Wish Samsung would fix this.

mdye

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've reached out to Samsung support on Twitter and they respond with a flurry of canned responses. Have you tried clearing the cache? And other boilerplate suggestions that always make me roll my eyes because of course I tried that. The last thing they suggested I do was a factory reset. Durr.

I wish Samsung had a way to submit bugs. They seem to think that when they release software it's completely bug free and not worth further development.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid