Movies to Watch on The Plane

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm spending some of the day using DVD Catalyst 4.5 to rip DVDs into files I can watch on my Note 10.1 2014 on flight across the country.
Working great...using DVD Catalyst while running AnyDVD

15 Steven Segal and Chuck Norris and other videos from Best Buy for $7.99 along with a few concerts on DVD.

Anyone else have favorite tools they're using with their Note??

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I use Blu-Ray Ripper from PavTube (Pavtube BDMagic-DVD/Blu-ray to MP4/MKV/iPad/HP TouchPad,etc).
It costs about $35US but is really easy to use. It scrapes both DVD and BD discs and gets them down to about 1.4G in size (depending on the content). I have a 64GB microSD card in my tablet and so I was able to put 34 movies on it with still room to spare. This has really saved my sanity on long flights (and is actually the primary reason I bought the tablet)!

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Interesting...I have an OTG cable....I had never thought to try a hard disk attached....I have to think there'd be more power draw by powering the hard drive from the tablet right? I do carry an Anker Battery Pack, but I am looking for max battery life when I fly 6 or 7 hours.
OTG cable + External 2.5" HDD + External battery pack. No need wasting time to convert movies.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for including the link....looks like a good program
Question: I have to assume I'd need a BluRay drive on my home PC to read the BluRay disk in order to rip it right?
That's an upgrade I have been meaning to do anyway....any suggestions? (my PC is a Windows 7 high spec machine).

I use Blu-Ray Ripper from PavTube (Pavtube BDMagic-DVD/Blu-ray to MP4/MKV/iPad/HP TouchPad,etc).
It costs about $35US but is really easy to use. It scrapes both DVD and BD discs and gets them down to about 1.4G in size (depending on the content). I have a 64GB microSD card in my tablet and so I was able to put 34 movies on it with still room to spare. This has really saved my sanity on long flights (and is actually the primary reason I bought the tablet)!

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you would need a drive. I researched some and selected the following drive from NewEgg.com:
LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40 - Blu-Ray Burners - Newegg.com

It seems a little expensive, but the reviews were good and it's worked real well for me.

As for battery life, the reason I selected this tablet over others was the amount of time I could watch movies on battery (watching movies on the plane was why I bought it). The reviews said they got 9+ hours, which I figured was more than enough for the flights I make. Also, I figured that I could recharge some during layovers (although I'm having problems at the moment getting fast charging on it - I'm working on that).

So with space for 40+ movies and 9+ hours run time, I'm all set.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Interesting...I have an OTG cable....I had never thought to try a hard disk attached....I have to think there'd be more power draw by powering the hard drive from the tablet right? I do carry an Anker Battery Pack, but I am looking for max battery life when I fly 6 or 7 hours.
Depends on the ext hdd, since USB 2 port max is 500mah and ext hdd wont draw more than 500mah. I dont have any ext hdd, without using external power to test with and just 2 very old 3.5" ext hdd that needs ext. power source, connected to Note 2014.
WIth battery monitor widget, it says power consumption is around 600 mah with OTG cable while watching a 1080P movie without any conversion. With external power source for the ext hdd of course.

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have heaps of movies converted to mp4 on the 64GB memory card in my tablet and I had more than enough during my very long flight from Perth to Canada via China last January. I prefer to watch my own movies on my tablet, I find the small screen in the plane and the low resolution quite a strain on my eyes.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I do the same as the OP except rip with Aimersoft DVD Ripper, and watch on my Transformer Prime. Aircraft seatback screens do get a bit wearisome after a time.

I also found that some hotels -- too few, however -- have TVs with a HDMI input, which is a little more comfortable for viewing my own choice of entertainment.