Note 10.1 (2014) making me crazy

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You have some sort of corruption in your network. Do you have other devices that work using your wifi. Is your tab wifi or phone? It's really hard to believe that the new one does the same as the 2 refurbs. Something is missing in this equation,

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You have some sort of corruption in your network. Do you have other devices that work using your wifi. Is your tab wifi or phone? It's really hard to believe that the new one does the same as the 2 refurbs. Something is missing in this equation,

Have to agree with above statement.... Really hard to believe with the thousands of tablets out there the you would get three with exactly same issue.... Mathematical odd are staggering.... It had to be either in your network or in combination of apps you are running.... It has to be something within your own "zone"..... Not industry wide with tablet...

Dale

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I use a 32 gig SD card. No problem. Anything larger concerns me. Heard too many issues with 64 gig.

Posted via Android Central App

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Both my husband and I have S3's that work on off our wifi, as well as a kindle fire and 3 desktops....everything works, no problems with any of them, I am completely at a loss as to how this could happen myself. But I don't believe it's our WiFi

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Dropped device #3 into the return bin today, In a day or two I will order yet another one....

I'm on the verge of giving up on this device completely but I'm not going to yet..... first, I love my S3 and Second after much research this is the tablet for note taking. The note taking ability has brought me back to this device repeatedly when I got distracted by other shiny objects..(devices);)

I've used every suggestion in this thread, with the exception of thinking there is a problem with our WiFi...nothing else that works off this wifi, including the computer I'm typing this on is having problems....and besides I'd already sent it back by the time I saw that suggestion :p

I'll let you all know how it goes...

Thanks for the help.

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Have to agree with above statement.... Really hard to believe with the thousands of tablets out there the you would get three with exactly same issue.... Mathematical odd are staggering.... It had to be either in your network or in combination of apps you are running.... It has to be something within your own "zone"..... Not industry wide with tablet...

Dale

I agree completely, but what? the possibility of this happening seems downright impossible, yet here I am...What could it be?

The SD card was a commonality, yet even after a complete factory reset, and no SD card reinstalled it still has the issue.

Of course some of the apps would be commonality's ...but even after a complete factory reset, not loading anything, no sd card, only hooking up the wifi, and launching the preinstalled browser, it didn't work...

The wifi is a commonality of course, But, is it possible that all my other networked stuff would be unaffected and ONLY the brand new Samsung Notes are?? really? that doesn't make much sense to me.. I'm not a techy sort, but logically I don't get it... tell me if I'm wrong about this, I don't want to bork another device. I just want one that works! what would you guys do in this situation?

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I suppose it's possible there is a threat on your network which attacks this particular (or various) tablets?
How long after you get the new tablet does it fail? If not too long, perhaps when you get the new one, open it at the store and use their WiFi to run it through its paces - long enough that you're satisfied that it is not experiencing the problem.
Then take it home and see what happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to consider is to go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck Automatically Restore before doing a factory reset. Maybe there's some problematic data that is automatically being restored each time you get a new device (or factory reset one) and log in with your Google account.

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Based on the conversation here, my husband looked at the possibility of there being some sort of Malware issue with the router, he found this

Article from the Linksys knowledge base,

And

Bizarre attack infects Linksys routers with self-replicating malware | Ars Technica

He took care of this possibility by updating firmware, as this article suggested. We do have the effected router, and there had been some lag but we didn't think much of it, due to where we live. However the statement from Linksys following the 2nd article states that it was only infecting routers with the Remote Management Access feature enabled, Ours was not enabled, so unlikely this was the culprit.

But now that's been covered, just in case..

Once I receive a new device, I will not attach it to anything and see how it functions, then do 1 thing at a time to see how it goes, honestly I'm worried to even try at this point, I'd like to understand the issue before trying again. Thank you B. diddy I will uncheck the automatic Restore, if it comes to that again, I did do a factory reset with with device #3 setting up to a brand spanking new google account, so it's auto restore, wouldn't have had a thing to cause an issue with....you'd think anyway.

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You might want first to try the new tablet out on a public network (is there a Starbucks nearby?) just to rule out the home network as the source of your problems. By this I mean, don't even turn on the tablet at home until you've done the public-network test.

Tomcat31b

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree completely, but what? the possibility of this happening seems downright impossible, yet here I am...What could it be?
The wifi is a commonality of course, But, is it possible that all my other networked stuff would be unaffected and ONLY the brand new Samsung Notes are?? really? that doesn't make much sense to me.. I'm not a techy sort, but logically I don't get it... tell me if I'm wrong about this, I don't want to bork another device. I just want one that works! what would you guys do in this situation?
It could possibly be your wireless router/ access point causing the issue. I see things like this regulary in my occupation, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark here as I don't know you setup.

You say all of your other devices work without any issue but you noted that they are S3's, kindle fire and desktops. the S3's and kindles I would guess are a couple of years old by now, how old is your router? (and by age I mean manufacturers release date not when you bought them) it could be that these devices and your desktops (are they wireless also?) use and older technology (eg wireless a/b/g/n on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). This tablet uses newer technology and is capable of also connecting to wireless ac networks.

It could be that the wireless chipset of your router is not compatible with the wireless chipset of tablet which is why you can't connect but everthing else does. I would try using the device somewhere where there is public wifi access (as these tend to use newer technology) or worse case at a friends house.

I had a similar issue but in reverse to you. I recently upgraded our router at home to a Netgear R6300 wireless router (for cable networks) and everthing connected fine desktop, printer, NAS, UPS (all wired) and Galaxy S4, S5, Note 10.1 2014, Dell laptop and kindle fire (all wirelessly) the only device that didn't maintain a connection or was really poor was the wifes Lenovo laptop. After much investigation I rulled that issue down to the Atheros wireless card in the laptop, Replaced it with an Intel wireless card and all was fine again.

If you get the tablet working say at a friend or neighbours house see what settings they use on their router (if they'll let you) and see if you can replicate them on yours. Alternativley see if you can borrow a spare router (different to your current one) and set it up with your settings to rule out the router.

Bluering48

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I use a 32 gig SD card. No problem. Anything larger concerns me. Heard too many issues with 64 gig.

Posted via Android Central App

I have a 64gb card on my S4, no problem, I have another 64gb card on my Note 10.1, 2014, no problem again. The 64gb on my tablet is important as I have a whole bunch of movies to watch while flying.

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
It varied from just a few minutes to up to nearly 2 hours after I'd done a factory reset on the last one. But all did the exact same.

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
It could possibly be your wireless router/ access point causing the issue. I see things like this regulary in my occupation, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark here as I don't know you setup.

You say all of your other devices work without any issue but you noted that they are S3's, kindle fire and desktops. the S3's and kindles I would guess are a couple of years old by now, how old is your router? (and by age I mean manufacturers release date not when you bought them) it could be that these devices and your desktops (are they wireless also?) use and older technology (eg wireless a/b/g/n on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz). This tablet uses newer technology and is capable of also connecting to wireless ac networks.

It could be that the wireless chipset of your router is not compatible with the wireless chipset of tablet which is why you can't connect but everthing else does. I would try using the device somewhere where there is public wifi access (as these tend to use newer technology) or worse case at a friends house.

I had a similar issue but in reverse to you. I recently upgraded our router at home to a Netgear R6300 wireless router (for cable networks) and everthing connected fine desktop, printer, NAS, UPS (all wired) and Galaxy S4, S5, Note 10.1 2014, Dell laptop and kindle fire (all wirelessly) the only device that didn't maintain a connection or was really poor was the wifes Lenovo laptop. After much investigation I rulled that issue down to the Atheros wireless card in the laptop, Replaced it with an Intel wireless card and all was fine again.

If you get the tablet working say at a friend or neighbours house see what settings they use on their router (if they'll let you) and see if you can replicate them on yours. Alternativley see if you can borrow a spare router (different to your current one) and set it up with your settings to rule out the router.

Not sure this is the issue, We have a Linksys E1200 and looks like it operates at the 2.4 GHz band... So we may need to upgrade our router.. BUT....The Tablet connects fine, within a couple hours tops back buttons, menu buttons, home key freezes up, and only restarting it will get us back operational...Or the alternative issue is that the screen goes poof to sleep in the middle of working on something...I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade the router...I just am not sure that's the issue I'm having. If I'm not understanding something please explain, I'm the first to admit to lack of tech ability. :)

kaloa

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
It's taken me awhile, but I've now got a brand spanking new tablet sitting on my desk in front of me...delivered this afternoon.

I turned it on, put it in airplane mode and played with S note a bit and it's just sitting here...pretty useless w/out my apps and wifi lol

What should I do in what order?, I've not hooked up to wifi yet, so no updates, nothing yet, just confirmed it turns on...

I've made plans to use a friends wifi, so wifi and update first? (it comes out of the box with 4.3 and updates on connection to wifi to 4.4.2, I think)

I also followed This advice from B. Diddy and unchecked the Auto Restore, I dunno if it will help or not, but cant hurt I guess :)..