Note 10.1" or 12.2"? Decisions!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering buying my first tablet and was just about set on the Note Pro 12.2" but was thinking I need to look at the 10.1" as well since it would save about $150 (give or take).

I'm curious if there is anyone that decided to get the 10.1" over the 12.2" and what your deciding factors were?

Also, visa-versa, if you have the 10.1" but are going to get 12.2" or wish you got the 12.2" instead, what were your reasons?

(it was suggested to post in the 10.1" 2014 forum vs the 2012 forum - if you see this posted twice)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My first tab was the 10.0 2014, purchased last Christmas. Personally I'm not at all tempted by the larger tablet. I wouldn't feel comfortable handling anything larger. But, you might :)

Kat0908

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I was deciding between the 2 tablets you're deciding between as well.

Ultimately, I chose the 10.1 and I'll explain my reasons why. The main reason I was considering the Note Pro 12.2 was because of it being more powerful than the 10.1 and able to multitask with up to 4 apps simultaneously as opposed to only 2 on the 10.1. But when I went to compare the 2 devices in person, and really thought about my personal usage, I would really only need 2 apps open side by side at the same time. Also size was another factor. In person, I felt like the 12.2 was only marginally smaller than my 13 inch ultrabook. I felt like if I'm going to be carrying a device that big it might as well be a more powerful laptop. I definitely wanted something more portable. So, I concluded that for those reasons, the 10.1 would suit my personal needs better and so far I absolutely love it. I think it's the perfect size and with more than enough power.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
For me 12.2" is just too big for a tablet. I love the size and form factor of the 10.1. I have a laptop that is 12" and never use it anymore since I got my note 10.1.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a laptop for mobile use, just my 5 inch Nexus 5 and a 10 inch Asus Transformer. I can't talk about power or features but from my usage, the 10 inch screen doesn't provide enough real estate. Your usage requirements may be different if you have a laptop. My next tablet (which will eventually be a Windows machine to replace my ageing desktop PC) will have a 12 inch screen. Can you borrow from a friend, or rent, a 12 inch tablet and use it for a week to see if it is too unwieldy?

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I too decided on the 10.1 2014 over the 12 Pro. Cost wasn't an issue to me at all, so that didn't factor into it. My main objective was in having something I could use to watch movies while on airline flights. I felt the 12" tablet would be too big to carry around and hold on the airplane. I've had a couple flights with the 10.1 2014 tablet and it has worked very well for me. I'm very happy with my choice.

Good luck.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have both, and within a week, the 10.1 started collecting dust. The only thing better about the 10.1 is that it's lighter. Everything else is a lot more engaging with the bigger screen. When I do switch back to the 10.1 (usually when I mismanage the battery on the 12.2 and it has to sit on the charger) it feels so small and cramped I can't wait for the Pro to finish charging.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I love my new HP laptop. But I also love my 2014 10.1 tablet. Going on two months with it. The 12.2 pro is too much. I played with it. Am happy with my decision. The screen is awesome and it's quite fast

Posted from my awesome Note3

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering buying my first tablet and was just about set on the Note Pro 12.2" but was thinking I need to look at the 10.1" as well since it would save about $150 (give or take).

I'm curious if there is anyone that decided to get the 10.1" over the 12.2" and what your deciding factors were?

Also, visa-versa, if you have the 10.1" but are going to get 12.2" or wish you got the 12.2" instead, what were your reasons?

(it was suggested to post in the 10.1" 2014 forum vs the 2012 forum - if you see this posted twice)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

It depends on what you want from a tablet. The 10.1 is amazing for school and work because of the portability. The 12.2 is good if the tablet mainly stays in one location (your house), or if you have really big hands.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am not really sure how an extra .5 lbs really affects portability. I throw my Pro into the same messenger bag that I used for my 10.1, and there's barely any difference between the two. The 10.1 is lighter in the hand and is better for gaming, but they're equally as portable.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The 12.2 is good if the tablet mainly stays in one location (your house), or if you have really big hands.

That seals it! I have big hands. I'm getting the 12.2" Note Pro. Done.

Just kidding. 😆

But, I actually did choose the Note Pro 12.2" about 2 weeks ago. Enjoying it very much. Awesome battery life (the last charge lasted 64 hours - 3 full days - with 7 hours of screen time).

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the follow up, goin_nil. I'm facing a similar decision myself towards the end of the year when my TF201 should probably be replaced. You must be loving that big screen!

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
You must be loving that big screen!

Absolutely am!

One of the best things about the larger screen (not sure if it's the best thing yet, still too new) is writing on it is easier with the S-Pen. That extra 2" really makes a big difference when annotating pdf files and taking notes with S-Note.

Not to mention is great for watching videos and playing games (so much more immersive than my phone).

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Awesome battery life (the last charge lasted 64 hours - 3 full days - with 7 hours of screen time).

When you were using it what were you doing, because I have only gotten around 17 hrs battery life with 5 hrs screen on time.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
When you were using it what were you doing

I was taking notes w/S-Note, reading and annotating a PDF mostly, using Chrome browser, using the Business Week app, playing a few games, Google Docs, reading articles on Pocket, things like that. I usually have screen at 30% to 50% brightness since it's so bright to begin with.

Sent from my SM-P900 using AC Forums mobile app

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Of samsung tablets, I first had and still have the note 8. Then I got the note 10.1 2014, and when the note pro 12.2 was introduced I sold my macbook air 13" because I saw using the pro as a laptop replacement. I mainly use the pro for writing using hancom word. I also use it at times for entertainment. But aside from productivity -- writing -- I mostly use the note 10.1 for just about everything -- email, research, surfing, movies, tv, newspapers and news etc etc. The 10.1 is my jack of all trades. But the 12.2 is an amazing device for doing work -- thin, light, fast, great screen.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My only complaint about the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition is that the charging port is on the bottom and I am unable to have it stand up and charge it at the same time and a USB 3.0 charging port would gave been better.

Posted via Android Central App

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
My only complaint about the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition is that the charging port is on the bottom and I am unable to have it stand up and charge it at the same time and a USB 3.0 charging port would gave been better.

Posted via Android Central App

You could turn on screen rotation while charging, and then turn the tablet upside down so the charging port is on the top.

nabour

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note 3 (phone), and the Note 8, Note 10.1 (2014) and just bought a Note Pro 12.2

Love these things.

The Note 8 gets thrown in my purse when I am out and about and want access to reading material. The Note 10.1 (2014) was my favorite device EVER. I used it daily for alarms, calendar, web surfing, e-mail, all my reading, note-taking, Netflix........... never thought I would replace it.

But I recently splurged on a Note 12.2 and I can't believe how much I enjoy it. I also purchased a Logitech keyboard, and it sits perfectly on my lap as I type away. The screen is beautiful, and even when I want to open two apps at a time (like I can do on the others), it just looks better with the larger screen. I absolutely love my new device, and find that I am rarely picking up the 10.1.

Two things that I would mention, though, are these:

1. There is little to no development on the 12.2. Other than root access and TWRP recovery (for backups), there are no custom roms as of yet. But I haven't felt the need for one.
2. For me it is a little awkward to use the S-pen and write on the note. With the Logitech keyboard attached it becomes a bit bulky. Of course, I can detach the Note from the keyboard and it is easy to write on, but that takes time.

Other than these two points, I have nothing but good to say about the 12.2.

Barbara

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy