Targeted Ads keep crashing my browsers only on Note 10.1... Am I infected?

Gerry Atrick

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay, This is odd.

I have a 10.1 2014 edition.

ONLY on this tablet (I have several - and many more android phones) do I get strange ads on some websites that appear at the bottom of hte browser window, AFTER the page has loaded. These ads are wide banner ads. 50% of the time, these banner ads make the browser unresponsive, and I have to close and re-open the browser. They only occur on certain websites.

They usually (but not always) appear on
shanghaiist.com
bleachanime.org
drudgereport.com (no comments please! :)

I found someone else (whom I believe has a Samsung device) that is experiencing the same problems... (most of the ads I get are KIA also - same as this poster... but I also get other ads)...

I completely factory reset the device multiple times and without restoring anything, the problem is still there.

It is odd that no other device (Android or Desktop) has this issue... So I wonder, is it just my Samsung device? Is it Samsung doing something to get more advertising on their devices???

I'm very confused at this point. Unless some malware got itself into my factory reset data... I'm thinking samsung is at fault.

NEVER rooted the device
DID turn on Install from other sources (For Amazon apps)
DID turn on Developer Access...
ONLY app I installed that wasnt factory - was Adobe Flash (to watch Amazon Prime through Dolphin Browser)
1 other app I installed was the Google Mail app --- I used APK Extractor for that - and got it off of my other tablet and installed it on my Sammy. (I despise Samsung's mail app)...

Anyone have any thoughts?

TIA.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried viewing those websites on a non stock browser, EX: google-chrome, and dolphin browser?

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
As u know, flash are not supported officialy and supposed not to work at all on newer versions of android devices. So some websites with flash banners will crasch browser and freeze the device. I had experience it few times and just had to deal with it.
Turn of flash and go to websites that crash the browser. Too see if its flash that is the culprit. Or try with Chrome, that doesnt support flash at all and see if it crash.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
IF using Firefox as of late, it crashed when encountering a FLASH file and least on my tablet.... Something changed recently with either KITKAT of how browsers deal with FLASH... Google Chrome just plain ignores any FLASH files and states app is needed, which does not exist for Chrome........

Dale

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
X3 on Flash
My (admittedly limited) use has caused nothing but headaches.
Firefox locks up and crashes.

I have not tried Dolphin+Jetpack, but that was my next move.
I'm glad I heard here that it is not working either.

sacerdos

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
X3 on Flash
My (admittedly limited) use has caused nothing but headaches.
Firefox locks up and crashes.

I have not tried Dolphin+Jetpack, but that was my next move.
I'm glad I heard here that it is not working either.

This is what I usually do: I personally prefer Habit browser; Dolphin has evolved in ways I don't like. I do have Dolphin+jetpack+hacked adobe flash for kitkat installed that I use for flash sites.

Habit browser won't play flash, even with the hacked flash app that I found on another site. Dolphin does. So when I come across a web site that needs flash, I use the "open with other app" option from Habit and choose Dolphin. The site opens in Dolphin, and flash plays.

I had to initially set up the item in Habit (not hard) so that when I press the menu button from Habit, it's right there.

Others may do things differently, but this works for me.

Transmissum est uti Tapatalk ab Nota Galaxia X.I MMXIV meo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol