Video Trouble/ -Horizontal Lines

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got video problems. It has slowly gotten worse over time. It started with an ocassional paid for movie producing blinking horizontal lines. It gradually started to affect more movies regardless of the format or player but did not affect Movies taken with My S5 or my tablet. I'm using the default player as well as MX Pro. Tonight my personal videos are having the video problem and I'm seeing a random blink here & there of a horizontal line on the screen while not playing a video. Streaming YouTube videos are fine. At first I thought it might be the SD card but ruled that out when the problem started in a non video environment. So... looks like a call to Square Trade is on the horizon. Will I be getting a new or refurbished tab? Has this happened to anyone else?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Diddy. I just tested every type of video I have on this tablet & wouldn't you know it... not one single hiccup, I'll do as you suggested tomorrow. Right now I better put this thing down before I tie a rock to it & throw it in the lake!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you do more testing, see if it's associated with position or with varying pressure on the screen or tablet casing. Maybe there's a loose connection.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So this video problem has been a slow growing thing that finally started giving me fits outside of playing movies. Time to do something about it. Came here first. Soon as I posted my first message and went back to critique the issues a little closer, it stopped :eek: Still today, no flashing horizontal lines. I played a game that causes the tablet to get VERY warm and then tried the videos again. They worked fine (all formats and using both players). I rotated and shook the tablet while playing a video. No problem, so I'm guessing it's not a loose wire. There was never any touching of the screen during video playback mode when the flashing horizontal lines were present. Guess it just needed a good tongue lashing and the threat of ending up at the bottom of the lake! ;D

rogerus

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Monica, lots of us have been having this problem!

Check out this thread in this forum called Video issue after updating tablet (Sorry, I can't post a link!). The post from SAMmarked1 (with the screen shot) describes how to fix it. It's actually very easy - no need to reset your tablet or anything drastic - Good luck!

-Roger

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the link Diddy. The video is continuing to perform as it should. I don't know if something updated or what but after getting so bad I was ready to file an ins claim, it healed it's self! :) Now, for the "turn off HW overlays...I tried that and got the following results. .mkv and .mp4 movies played fine but .pyv format movies would not play (black screen) on MX Pro or the default player. Also unchecked that and checked "Force GPU Rendering" and got the same results. Since I'm not having the horizontal line issue right now I couldn't tell you if checking those options would have helped (apparently it has for others) but my pyv movies are useless with either one of those options.