How do I install Twrp recovery?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Twrp recovery

8 to 10 Gb depending on app data to be assimilated into the image. You have the option to only backup the system (5Gb roughly) and leave app data on the external sd card there. I think I saw in one of Moshe's posts that the external sd cannot be used?

Last edited:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site

8 to 10 Gb depending on app data to be assimilated into the image. You have the option to only backup the system (5Gb roughly) and leave app data on the external sd card there. I think I saw in one of Moshe's posts that the external sd cannot be used?

The external sd card can be used when in recovery mode. For some reason the twrp manager app does not work properly. My backup was 8.2GB.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

The external sd card can be used when in recovery mode. For some reason the twrp manager app does not work properly. My backup was 8.2GB.

Wow that's alot of space to take up. Currently my tablet only has about 6gb free. That would leave me with no space. Can that backup file be copied to an ext sd card?

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site

Wow that's alot of space to take up. Currently my tablet only has about 6gb free. That would leave me with no space. Can that backup file be copied to an ext sd card?

It can be put onto the external sd card in the first place and never touch the internal storage.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

How about to a "thumb drive" through USB (OTG) cable?...

Also noticed there is ODIN 3.10... Better?

Dale

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

But operating system sees USB/OTG port as a memory device...

Dale

Huh o k worth a try I guess. But from what I'm seeing, in the recovery creation option it asks where you want to store, and the options are internal storage or external sd card.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Ok so I did a backup and it never did ask where, just did it to internal storage. But now I have like no space left on my tablet. Where so I find this so I can move it off the internal and get my 6gb back?

Ok found the hidden folder, moved(or so I thought) to a flash drive, but it's still still on the internal storage. I delete it, it says "deleted" but it's not, and I don't have my storage space back.

Any help how to get this 6gb back?

Last edited:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok so I did a backup and it never did ask where, just did it to internal storage. But now I have like no space left on my tablet. Where so I find this so I can move it off the internal and get my 6gb back?

Ok found the hidden folder, moved(or so I thought) to a flash drive, but it's still still on the internal storage. I delete it, it says "deleted" but it's not, and I don't have my storage space back.

Any help how to get this 6gb back?

You have to go back to recovery mode, select restore and then delete the backup. Make sure that you do not follow through on the restore though.
Before you make the backup there should be a button that brings up a window to decide where to store the backup. It might be labeled location.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

You have to go back to recovery mode, select restore and then delete the backup. Make sure that you do not follow through on the restore though.
Before you make the backup there should be a button that brings up a window to decide where to store the backup. It might be labeled location.

AHHH so easy when you know how! Thank you Moshe, you have been such a great help.

Now, would the copy I did onto the flash drive work, if I needed it? And when I did the b/u I saw no choice of location, it just showd internal, and I had an ext sd card in and I had a usb/otg flash drive attached

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Umm... I would think "location" of stored data would be only issue,... The data should be just data and no alteration of data should happen by change of location....

Would think you can move file to where ever and maintain its integrity no matter what ... Might even put on PC hard drive if you have room to store it.... And you could move around with PC as you can move any files in a "storage" (device) mode...

Only thing may be backup software may not have option to select location so one would have to restore data file where software is looking to find it...

Do not know facts but trying to learn from other before I make the move...

Dale

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

That is the process, Dale, isn't it? It took me a bunch of reading and exploring before pulling the "root" trigger. Now just starting to comprehend the whole recovery process.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

So in my continuing education of this recovery process, I went back in to see if there was an option to save a b/u to a flash drive. I did see how to change it to b/u ext sd, by tapping on where it says storage, but no option for usb/otg. Also, sorry for the poor images, but in recovery mode, the screen shot featured is not available, so these are snapsots taken with my S4. This is with a usb/otg flash attached. Tried both booting into recovery with it attached and not attached, plugging it in once in recovery. No indication of seeing it. But at least I see where to save a b/u externally. Nice program, poor documentation, pretty typical I guess. I spent years working at a software company, as a support tech, but wound up writing all the module documentation, because the programmers were inept at proper instruction authoring.

twrpbu.jpg

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

To backup to OTG USB, the flash drive need to be formatted in exFat, FAT (limit 4GB), Ext4.
Update to latest 2.8.1.0 if still doesnt work.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

To backup to OTG USB, the flash drive need to be formatted in exFat, FAT (limit 4GB), Ext4.
Update to latest 2.8.1.0 if still doesnt work.

Would you have a screen shot showing a flash drive as an available storage location?

Also, how do you update twrp?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech