New update

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I just got a OTA update. My question is that since I was rooted (updating unrooted it) and Knox was tripped, how and why did I get the update?
Also what was changed in the update, besides for losing root access I have not noticed any changes. I also had super su in OTA survival mode.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It is a good habit to make a screenshot of the device details page as a reference. Makes it easy to compare what was changed.

More than passing strange that you got OTA if you were rooted. This side of the pond Samsung and the ISP that I'm on does not provide OTAs to rooted devices.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
After I rooted my tablet whenever I clicked on the OTA update checker it said that I could not get updates because I modified my tablet. When I booted my tablet yesterday I got a notification about the update and I told it to download. When I tried to install it, it failed so I had to install it using samsung kies 3 via my windows 7 PC.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
How does that compare to before the update?

I use the screenshot "library" to verify what changes took place with updates and on which build I'm on my rooted devices.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Was that the little 103mb update that was out a bit ago? I'm not rooted (yet, but any day now) and there was a small update about a month ago. Wonder if that bit passed the rooting because it was not a major update? But it unrooted you? Huh.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Was that the little 103mb update that was out a bit ago? I'm not rooted (yet, but any day now) and there was a small update about a month ago. Wonder if that bit passed the rooting because it was not a major update? But it unrooted you? Huh.

Yeah, I got the 103mb warning.

Raymond Hubbard

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
What country are you in? The USA got an update several weeks ago and not seem to change much of anything other a few users reported chromecast was fixed.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but how did I get the update since I was rooted.

It puzzles me as well. On my two rooted devices when I try the OTA update, the ISP advises that my "Your device has been modified Software updates are not available". On the SM-P605 which is stock the last update was early in September about 180 Mb to JB .4.3.(UI improvement ans security improvements according to the update notice) If you do figure out how you by-passed OTA to allow the update through, I'd be very interested in the method.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am now rooted again!

You make it sound so easy, I really wanna try, just have to get passed the fear. The fear of 5 minutes after I do it, something unrelated will break and my warranty is gone. Target date to do it is 11/20 when warranty is gone anyway.

Do you back up everything before you do this, or just trust that your data, pics, etc will be ok?

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
You make it sound so easy, I really wanna try, just have to get passed the fear. The fear of 5 minutes after I do it, something unrelated will break and my warranty is gone. Target date to do it is 11/20 when warranty is gone anyway.

Do you back up everything before you do this, or just trust that your data, pics, etc will be ok?

I make sure to back everything up, however I am not at all worried about losing my data, I just belive that it is better to be safe than sorry.
I have never had anything break by the way.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Nothing to be afraid of.
Rooting just allows you access to modify root directories of the device.
It is that you can now make a mess of the operating system if you go in and play around with it.
Just be SURE to flash the correct file for your device. (600, 601, 605)
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) - Android Central

What Is A Nandroid Backup and How Exactly Does It Work?

The first thing you should do once rooted is to mirror the entire system (Nandroid)
This allows you to recover to a image of your device just as it was, media, settings, everything.

Backup, backup, backup....
It's been the same since personal computers came on the scene in the '80's
This process is essentially the same as flashing the BIOS on a PC.

Otherwise your only choice is a factory reset if things go wrong.

I rooted both my Android devices within hours of owning them.
My iPhones before that.
It's never been a problem.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh ya, I know what rooting is and does, I've rooted linux tablets and my old palm pre and I helped my son root/jailbreak his iphone. I'm not concerned about the rooting perse having a problem, just the murphy's law of some unrelated need for the warranty, after it's voided. And with this tablet being so expensive, I've hesitated taking the chance before the warranty is done. But I'm getting close ;-)

I'm about at the tipping point of annoyance of seeing the Samsung app update notice at least a few times a day, that I just keep X'ing to close.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX