What is the best way to charge the tablet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best way to charge tablet

It doesn't really matter. Charging while powered off will charge it to full a little more quickly, but then you have to wait for it to power on again. Charging while the device is asleep won't affect the battery adversely. Just make sure you don't let the battery drop much below 30-40% before you start charging, if you want to optimize your overall battery lifespan.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

At end of day, turn it off, plug it into charger.... Next day its fresh to go...

Dale

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Why turn it off if you have all night to charge it Dale?
Unless notification sounds are a bother?

I turn mine off if I don't intend to use it for more than a few days.
Seems to lose 25-30% over the course of a week if sitting idle.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Old skool thinking, turn something off when not in use saves energy.... Just a little bit, but ever bit helps...

You are probably type who does not turn off the lights when you are last one leaving room...

Dale

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Yikes :eek: My tab often drains as low as 10% and lower. Have I done some harm to it or the battery?

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

Old skool thinking, turn something off when not in use saves energy.... Just a little bit, but ever bit helps...

You are probably type who does not turn off the lights when you are last one leaving room...

Dale
Way to be judgmental buddy! :)

The boot cycle probably consumes as much power as leaving the tablet in standby for six hours while I'm sleeping.

It's an 8,220mAh battery using a 2A charger, it should go from dead to full in about 4 hours.
Do you get up after four hours and unplug your charger?

Your cable box is consuming way more than an idle tablet.
Up to 25,000 kWh's a month! (Citation:Cable Boxes Use an Absurd Amount of Energy, Even When They're Off - The Atlantic )
Do you unplug it at night?

Monica,
If you have constant Facebook notifications or your Tab is always syncing photos, profile status, whatever... I can see it using up more battery than mine.
Lithium cells don't have 'memory' like the old NiCads, but they do have a minimum voltage that will damage them if they are completely discharged.
I don't think there is any harm done, but you understand that any lithium battery does have a limited number of charge cycles.

Samsung's spec page suggests "up to 2,537 hours on standby" (that's over 100 days)
And based on that, the Note 10.1 is using ~4mA per hour sitting idle.
-12mAh while I'm sleeping-
This is not enough to light an LED.

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

The only thing that drains my battery so fast is the one and only game my grandchildren and I play, Hay Day. I'm not into Facebook. With a full charge, sometimes I can get 20 minutes with the game and I've seen it give me the low battery warning after 10 minutes (doing the same thing that gets me 20 most of the time). I used to get longer play time so I know it's hurt the battery :(

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

electronics for some reason will charge more quickly turned off. It is individual choice. I prefer to charge turned off.

Posted via the Android Central App

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Monica,
I'm surprised to hear that your battery has only lasted a year.
They are not too expensive or difficult to replace.

Have a look at this XDA post for some pointers and settings to make the best of your battery life.
[GUIDE] Longer Battery Life (or How You're B… | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) | XDA Forums

Thanks for link. I've read some of it and will bookmark it for future reference.
Can I change the battery myself? I was under the impression you had to send it to Samsung.
Does Best Buy sell batteries for this tablet? I know it's the game that's caused battery problem.
I've not read of anyone else suffering from poor battery performance due to graphic intensive games but
surely they do. I've asked this forum if this is "normal" for a game of this nature to drain a battery so fast.
Didn't get any answers. Also, I rarely turn it off when charging and am guilty of leaving it plugged in when
it's fully charged.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
It seems not too difficult to change the battery.
I have had my case open a couple of times to reattach the video cable after a drop.
The battery & its cable are right there.
I'm not sure that BB sells batteries for this tablet.
I find them online for under $50.
Try to find genuine Samsung, not cheap aftermarket or counterfeit.

Leaving it on while charging is not a problem. (It IS a smart device)
The worst thing for a lithium battery is running it all the way down.
Charge often, and try not to let it drop below 15% or so.

If you intend to store it, it's best to have a charge of ~75%.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Maybe here....

Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 SM-P600 Battery Replacement Kit - Extended Life

Seems to include battery, how to video, tools....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb2zQIDKysQ

Seems several versions of "battery" kits available. you may want to search site to get proper unit...
But this is want I found...

http://www.newpower99.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=samsung+sm-p600&Search.x=19&Search.y=19

Seem to be just one step further than the "screen connector-cable fix"

Might be other solutions out there...

Dale