If and when Samsung decides to grant us an update to Lollipop, how is this done if we are rooted?

I know rooted tabs don't get OTA updates, but if we have a good current back up recovery, then do the unrooting process, would we then get the update?

Then once updated, and we go thru the recovery process, does the new update stay or get overwritten by the recovery?

Lastly, what IS the process to get an update if not OTA?
    Periklas DaVinci likes this.
    12-02-2014 09:36 AM
    Also need answer to this question...

Dale
    12-02-2014 09:47 AM
    This side of the pond, we trust in SamMobile for the releases and flash through Odin... Which will normally remove root and twrp but will leave any external backups alone. If you don't prep for the new rom using twrp you can also end up with internal auto backups.
    12-02-2014 10:18 AM
    This side of the pond, we trust in SamMobile for the releases and flash through Odin... Which will normally remove root and twrp but will leave any external backups alone. If you don't prep for the new rom using twrp you can also end up with internal auto backups.
    ok Im a little confused, so if we get the SamMobile new OS(rom) and flash via Odin, we will technically have the new os, but it will not be rooted?

Then we have to go thru the rooting steps again? Or do we just flash the backup recovery via TWRP?
    12-02-2014 10:56 AM
    Me, I'd prep device using the recovery to ensure clean installation environment, flash lollipop, live with it for week or month then decide on root if available.

Spikes
    12-02-2014 12:06 PM
    Ahh I think the picture is getting clearer. You are saying, to bring back to unroot status, get the update, then to root again, I would need a new root file, that had the new os , is my understanding correct? And if I don't want top keep the new os, I could use my recovery b/u to bring back to rooted, pre update status?
    12-02-2014 01:23 PM
    I can only give you an example of what I experienced with my tab 2 10.1. After rooting on 4.3 I could flash various 4.3 custom roms and always return to my backup of 4.3 that I had made in Philztouch recovery. Once I "updated" to 4.4.2 kk the 4.3 backups that I had would no longer recover. Even flashing an update on Philztouch did not make the backups available. The issue was a change in the bootloader and security settings of kk 4.4.2 preventing the 4.3 bootloader from running. The same issue could be present when updating from 4.4.x to the 5.x.x lollipop. I have not researched that as yet..
    On the note 10.1 2014 I am on 4.4.2 nordic stock rom and cannot easliy return to 4.3 due to the bootloader changes. Suffice to say that I will not readily update to lollipop if and when the roms become available from SamMobile.
    12-02-2014 10:09 PM
    Gotcha! Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes total sense to me. I'll prob pass on Lollipop unless there is a good reason to try it, and I have a good plan for taking that path.
    12-03-2014 05:54 PM
    I was planning on using CF root procedure and then remove the bloatware... IF I do this and then use SU (SuperUser) to "unroot" is this going to bite me when updates come out? Is my table going to "brick" when I unroot with bloatware removed because of some procedural things Sammie is putting in update?

Dale
    12-03-2014 08:47 PM
    Dale, that would depend on the backward compatibility of the boot-loader for Lollipop with the present Kkat boot-loader.

I found flashing UK, German(on tab 2 10.1) and now Nordic countries for the Note 10.1 (2104) removed most of the really useless bloatware. Just disabling the rest is sufficient for at the moment( provided you are on a 4.4.x OS at the moment). To me this is an acceptable solution as it does not interfere with the S Pen functioning(being the main reason for me getting the Note 10 in the first instance) Not being rooted does limit the functionality of the Multi-Window for creating combo-windows

Spikes
    12-04-2014 12:42 AM