Weird extreme battery drain problem on SM-P600 4.4.2?

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this problem for a while, but I just put up with it until now, because it's really annoying me now and I feel I should be getting more out of my battery. I'm wondering if other people have the same problem too, although I could not find anything on this.

Now, to start off, mostly my battery is fine. I can use it for browsing, Tumblr, Flickr, various games, for about 5-6 hours before it starts to get low.

Now here's where the problem is. Unless I'm doing a light task, when the battery gets about under 30%, the tablet starts to exhibit some sort of weird extreme battery drain, like jumping straight from 19% to 12% in only about 15 seconds. This is especially true when playing games, having multiple apps open at the same time, or using any general processor-heavy apps. One time, I was playing a game, while also having my browser open/cached in the background. The battery JUMPED from 27% to 12% in under a minute. And when my tablet reaches 0%, when I plug it in to charge, there's a noticeable spike in charging going up to about the first third of the battery, even when it's turned off. By that, I mean it charges about the first 30% of the battery much quicker than it gets through the rest. It's like that portion of the battery has no "substance", if you see what I'm getting at.

This problem doesn't happen if I'm doing a light task, or if the battery is over about 30%. It's normal drain until that point.

I was thinking about calibrating the battery using the standard DIY method to fix the problem. It's actually the first thing I did when I got the tablet, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem, or if anyone else has suggestions.

The tablet is an SM-P600 (so it's WiFi model) running 4.4.2 KitKat.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Look at this battery connector, your problem is from here. Inconsistent battery readings are sign it's loose or cracked. The fix is simple if you know how to solder: add flux, re heat to melt solder and add more to secure its connection. A repair shop can help you as it takes less than 5 minutes to get it done.

Sun May 24 11-43-16.jpg

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
How much would the fix cost(my warranty has been voided because Samsung can't make a version of Touchwiz that doesn't lag (besides for the S6) so I rooted it which tripped Knox.)?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
If you tablet is still in warranty, flash back the original firmware. If you don't want the hassle to send it back and wait, open the rear case and ask someone or a repair shop to help you. I believe they can't charge you over $30 for a work that takes less than 5 minutes to re solder this battery connector.
Don't waste your time as a hardware problem can't be fixed by software, change settings, or updates.
Read this post, Galaxy Note Pro, the similar tablet, but the screen is 12.2
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-3.html#post4473418

All you need is removing the rear cover, bring your tablet to a repair shop and ask them to re solder the battery connector.

Last edited:

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Look at this battery connector, your problem is from here. Inconsistent battery readings are sign it's loose or cracked. The fix is simple if you know how to solder: add flux, re heat to melt solder and add more to secure its connection. A repair shop can help you as it takes less than 5 minutes to get it done.

View attachment 180107

I did not realize that it was that serious. Tbh I think my battery itself is starting to become bad. I can only get 3-4 hours of screen time with this thing now, which was not the case when I first got it. Someone told me when I first got it not to let it go below 20%, unfortunately, I went below that mark many times, which I wonder if it is a factor in my poor-performing battery. I may consider buying a new battery to put in myself. I'd like my tablet to be much better again.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Battery is not expensive to replace but loose battery connector is very common in samsung tablets; most users have no clue where is the source of problem and assume it's the battery. To be honest with you, looking at connector and know it's good or bad requires experiences and knowledge how to check it. Replace a new battery and it's still the same, you'll know where to look next. In normal usage, battery should last 1 or 2 years. Battery's capacity fluctuation is an obvious sign of loose connector, a bad battery doesn't behave that way: it cannot hold charge as it's used to, it should run normally but shorter time.

Last edited:

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Battery is not expensive to replace but loose battery connector is very common in samsung tablets; most users have no clue where is the source of problem and assume it's the battery. To be honest with you, looking at connector and know it's good or bad requires experiences and knowledge how to check it. Replace a new battery and it's still the same, you'll know where to look next. In normal usage, battery should last 1 or 2 years. Battery's capacity fluctuation is an obvious sign of loose connector, a bad battery doesn't behave that way: it cannot hold charge as it's used to, it should run normally but shorter time.

So this wouldn't be a problem with the battery, but the battery connector?

Just to clarify, this is the life I'm getting from my current battery: imgur.com/a/3LN4U (paste it into your address bar, can't post links)

It's terrible, and it went down another 9% as I was preparing this post. I tried several battery apps and disabled a few running apps I thought were causing problems, but nothing really helped, so I assume the battery (or the connector) is to blame.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Trust me, this problem common seen in Samsung tablets, P600 is the small version of P900. The battery connector is the one that battery connect to main board. Even with new replaced main board, its connector cracks just after few months. Common problems of cracked battery connector: quick discharge, battery's capacity fluctuation, intermittent power, auto shutdown, auto reboot, longer time to get full charge..etc...
Read this threat and you'll see similar problem:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-3.html#post4473418
A slap on the back cover will shut down the tablet immediately if it has a badly cracked battery connector.

Last edited:

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
My wife's note 8 had a similar problem, and I read somewhere that if you take the back off and just disconnect and wait a few minutes then connect it back it can help, and my wife's note 8 got to the point you could see the percentage dropping by the minute, and I popped off the back and disconnected the battery cable hooked it back up and it works like normal again.

I did the same with my Note 10.1 2014, and I also started getting a little better battery life it is worth a try you can look on YouTube how to pop the back off.

I filed a toothbrush handle so I can use it to pop the back off, hopefully it would solve your problem like it solved ours.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Probably fix was not the wait time after disconnect but the act of removing connector and replacing it scraped some corrosion off terminals and now they make better contact.... Oh yes they will corrode...

Dale

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
My wife's note 8 had a similar problem, and I read somewhere that if you take the back off and just disconnect and wait a few minutes then connect it back it can help, and my wife's note 8 got to the point you could see the percentage dropping by the minute, and I popped off the back and disconnected the battery cable hooked it back up and it works like normal again.
Actually your battery connector's clips are loose. Disconnect and reconnect may get a better contact between these clips and pins of connectors to main board. The fix is simple: using a small screw driver to push the opening of these clips closer so they can make a better contact with those pins of connector on main board. You need magnified glass to see these small clips.
This is the look the under side of battery connector cable so you can see how they make connection between wires and pins ( look post # 2 for connector on main board ).

Battery Connector.jpg

Last edited:

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
So it's been two months and I've did practically nothing to my tablet except a small update (the 7MB one) I've been holding off for who knows how long. That didn't really change anything, so. I still don't have the courage to open up the tablet and see what's going on, in fear I might mess up something. I get very worrisome about my electronics. XD

What I didn't realize was that I actually have a 2-year warranty on this tablet. I thought it was only 1 year (I bought this tablet in December 2013, I thought the warranty had expired by now). So I still have some time. I think I'm going to call Samsung and see if they can do something for me. If not, well then I guess the important thing is at least my tablet still functions properly, even with a lame battery. I do thank everyone here for their input though, you have some good suggestions. :)

EDIT: Well, guess what. My sister has this SAME problem with HER tablet (the percentage jumping when the battery gets low). We both have the same SM-P600 model and are both running 4.4.2. Is it a coincidence, or a major software problem? Hmm...

Last edited:

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So it's been two months and I've did practically nothing to my tablet except a small update (the 7MB one) I've been holding off for who knows how long. That didn't really change anything, so. I still don't have the courage to open up the tablet and see what's going on, in fear I might mess up something. I get very worrisome about my electronics. XD

What I didn't realize was that I actually have a 2-year warranty on this tablet. I thought it was only 1 year (I bought this tablet in December 2013, I thought the warranty had expired by now). So I still have some time. I think I'm going to call Samsung and see if they can do something for me. If not, well then I guess the important thing is at least my tablet still functions properly, even with a lame battery. I do thank everyone here for their input though, you have some good suggestions. :)

EDIT: Well, guess what. My sister has this SAME problem with HER tablet (the percentage jumping when the battery gets low). We both have the same SM-P600 model and are both running 4.4.2. Is it a coincidence, or a major software problem? Hmm...

It has very little (if anything at all) to do with the software.

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It has very little (if anything at all) to do with the software.

I don't know. I'm looking at threads from other forums about other people that had battery problems after 4.4.2, and their issues seem similar to mine. And my sister has the exact same problem. It could be hardware, it could be software. But I'm going to look more into this, and keep updated on what happens

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know. I'm looking at threads from other forums about other people that had battery problems after 4.4.2, and their issues seem similar to mine. And my sister has the exact same problem. It could be hardware, it could be software. But I'm going to look more into this, and keep updated on what happens

It is definitely a hardware problem. I have flashed multiple ROMs, both stock based and aosp based and they all had this issue. Not only that, but the solution to this problem involves re-soldering the battery connectors.

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, after doing the most recent software update, I think my battery has gotten slightly better? It still drains, but not as fast as before, I'm noticing. I used it for a couple of hours last night, a couple of hours this morning, and I'm using it now and it has 41% left. My screen on time says 3 hours, but personally I'm starting to think that may be inaccurate (is it possible for it to be inaccurate?) as I think I actually used it for a little over 4 hours. I also noticed that the area around my camera hasn't been getting really warm like it used to get when doing stuff as simple as watching YouTube or browsing the web.

Still no report on whether that "extreme drain" bug is still existent, but I'll get back to you on that.

I'm still considering maybe doing a factory reset, or if that fails, having the tab replaced, as I think I should be getting at least 6-8 hours of use at most. But at least it's gotten a little better now.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Well, after doing the most recent software update, I think my battery has gotten slightly better? It still drains, but not as fast as before, I'm noticing. I used it for a couple of hours last night, a couple of hours this morning, and I'm using it now and it has 41% left. My screen on time says 3 hours, but personally I'm starting to think that may be inaccurate (is it possible for it to be inaccurate?) as I think I actually used it for a little over 4 hours. I also noticed that the area around my camera hasn't been getting really warm like it used to get when doing stuff as simple as watching YouTube or browsing the web.

Still no report on whether that "extreme drain" bug is still existent, but I'll get back to you on that.

I'm still considering maybe doing a factory reset, or if that fails, having the tab replaced, as I think I should be getting at least 6-8 hours of use at most. But at least it's gotten a little better now.

It's a hardware issue, so doing a factory data reset would not help.

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a hard truth but most people don't want to accept it. It's not difficult to fix but they only want to do something else.

I'm sorry. I just saw people with similar problems and thought maybe there was a problem with the software, especially since my sister has this problem too. Now that I looked into it more, I'm pretty convinced that it IS the hardware. My Android OS and Android System are barely using any CPU, only totaling about 15 minutes at the moment. I'm at almost 1 hour and 30 minutes of screen time and have 75% left, which isn't the worst but is still pretty weak if you ask me. The "percentage jumping" issue is still here also.

I guess I have four options at this point:
1. Call Samsung and see if I can send the tablet to them (probably the most expensive option. Someone told me I had a 2-year warranty on this thing, but I honestly have no idea where they got that from, everywhere I look it says 1 year warranty).
2. Have a repair shop try to fix it (less expensive, although it should be a reputable place. I don't want my tablet getting messed up further)
3. Try to repair the tablet myself (could potentially be the most dangerous option, as I'm worried I could mess something up and create more problems. I guess as long as I know what I'm doing though, it could work out fine)
4. Just live with it and the fact that I'll need to plug in every few hours.

Honestly, at this point I'm kind of just wishing for an excuse for me to go and get my tablet repaired. Everything on the tablet still works perfectly like it did when I got it. There are virtually no other problems with it. I'm just annoyed with the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My question is if its a hardware problem (other than defective battery) what is the "repair" going to consist of.... You have a quad core processor and its controlled by operating system software and programs you are running.... Dont see it as hardware other than defective battery....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac