Received T-Mobile version instead of WiFi Only... Keep it?

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,
I just ordered a Galaxy Note 10.1 from Amazon. I ordered a WiFi only model (SM-P600). I received the SM-P607 (the T-Mobile version). I am an AT&T customer, not T-Mobile. So, the question is, should I keep this or send it back? Can I just run it without a sim card, and are there drawbacks to that (battery life, etc)? Can I easily change it over to AT&T (I have a family plan so I could add it for only 10$/month)? Recommendations????

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can keep it. It might not have all the bands needed for att though. Battery life shouldn't matter assuming that you are using it only on wifi. Updates could be slower on carrier variants

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd follow up if anyone is interested in this path... Amazon seems to have an issue where they are shipping the t-mobile version of the tablet by mistake when the WiFi is ordered. I decided to ship the first mistake back, but then decided to go with it after they sent me the second one. The Ltd version is more expensive, so I got a deal...

I went with a popular online unlocking service, and within a day had an unlock code. Visited the att store and got a free sim card. Next, called att and went through the process of adding the tablet to my account. Followed the instructions on the att site to setup the network settings for att.

When all is said and done, I am very pleased... Have a full LTE tablet with a digitizer (which is the reason for the note) brand new for less than 450$. If others got this version by mistake as well, keep it and put it on the network of your choice.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Kind of curious. With all the free wifi nowadays, why pay ATT to add it to your account. I know LTE is faster, but having to pay for it is kind of a put off for me. I own the same tablet by the way, but I actually bought mine on purpose when it was at $356 a few months ago.

rosenr9286t

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I too ordered from Amazon, although it was listed as the T-Mobile 4G model. I have a GaIaxy GearS with an AT&T SIM card, and inserted that nano-SIM with an adapter (I was already paying for the $10/month for the extra device, and had not used the watch in standalone mode since purchasing it 5 months ago).

I also bought and received an unlock code, but couldn't get it to work. I finally fiddled with the settings in mobile networks, and voila, 4G connectivity on AT&T (explaining why the unlock code didn't work - it wasn't needed). No unlock code required.

I picked up the 10.1 to replace my Note 8 which, while still working, was getting a bit long in the tooth. In addition, the Note 8's low screen resolution was wearing thin. The high-res screen on the 10.1 2014 is a welcome upgrade.

My use for the device is mainly for taking notes in meetings and interviews in projects, and while the 10.1 form factor is not as handy as the Note 8, I've now been using it for three weeks, and I'm liking it very much. A feature that I am anxiously waiting to try out is on United Airlines flights. Most of their aircraft now offer free movies watched through the United Android app. I've been watching on my Note 4 phone, and I suspect that the experience will be much improved on the 10.1. I've not used it enough away from WiFi to really appreciate the 4G connectivity, although I tested it out and it does indeed work.

Ron

Last edited:

The SPCS Guy

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I would definitely keep it. It has LTE. I ordered mine last week from Ebay, from a seller who was selling a brand new SM-P607T. $360.
I love it! And I just updated it to 5.1.1 LP. I already have a tab line, with the 5GB data match for $10. And don't forget with any Tab on TMobile you get 200MB of Free Data for Life!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm