Looking for mirroring hardware & software, any suggestions?

A

AC Question

Looking for mirroring hardware & software

What do you recommend for mirroring 1) a phone & tablet to a dumb TV, and 2) a phone to a tablet? I've tried some options but haven't really had any luck. I've tried an MHL to HDMI adapter (Cable Matters brand) and a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter for #1 and haven't been able to get either one to output anything to my TV. I'd like to mirror everything - games, video, browser, etc - not just a few apps like a Chromecast will allow. For #2 I've been using MirrorOp for Galaxy but the framerate is so low that if I'm watching anything faster than people walking at a casual pace the picture is noticeably choppy.

I'm using an unrooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition tablet with android v5.1.1, an unrooted Galaxy S4 with android v4.4.4, and a Scepter U500 television.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Looking for mirroring hardware & software

Welcome to Android Central! The Note 10.1 should be able to mirror using MHL, so it might be a problem with the TV. Just because a TV has an HDMI port doesn't necessarily mean it will be compatible with screen mirroring. Sceptre is an older budget brand, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has compatibility issues. Have you tried connecting the Note 10.1 to some other TV via MHL (preferably a well-known TV brand like Samsung, Sony, LG, etc.)?

You could also consider Samsung's AllShare Cast hub, but if the problem lies with the TV's HDMI port, then this might not work either.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Looking for mirroring hardware & software, any suggestions?

Chromecast also lets you cast your whole screen, whatever is on it.

its in the Chromecast app

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

YES.... What ever is on tablet screen...... Be sure you have latest incarnation of Google software...

Dale

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

The Samsung Allshare Cast Dongle EAD-T10 was designed to work with the GN10.1-2014 tablet. I have 2 of them, and they work well. A word of caution. Let the initial setup process run through without disruptions, such as loss of a WiFi signal. If bricked, not even the Samsung gurus at selected Best Buy stores can reinitiahe the unit. Samsung and UPS took a few days to exchange a unit.

Mind-Objects

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

You have some options for connecting your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) to a TV or screen.

I prefer the wireless option to the MHL!
There are basically these:
  1. If you have an AllShare Cast Donlge: How to Connect your Samsung GALAXY Note Tablet to a Projector or Screen wireless using the AllShare EAD-T10E Link Cast Dongle | Mind-Objects
  2. If you don't have one yet, it might get tricky to get one now, since Samsung seems to have stopped shipping them - but there are alternatives! See here: Alternatives to the Samsung AllShare LinkCast Dongle for Sharing your Android Tablet Screen | Mind-Objects
  3. There is also a third version via Samsungs SideSync Software, but it is more complicated, because you need a Laptop as well: Share your Samsung GALAXY Note Tablet Screen via Internet (or locally) using SideSync | Mind-Objects

If you want to mirror your Galaxy S4 phone screen to your tablet SideSync SideSync | Samsung is the solution!

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

According to Google on their support page:

• All devices running Android 4.4.2 or higher support the Cast Screen feature. Please note: Some devices have been optimized for screen casting so your experience may vary.

It used to be that only certain devices could cast the screen, but I assume this means that all devices above 4.4.2 can now. I'm not sure how a device that hasn't been optimized for screen casting will behave, though.

Mind-Objects

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site

According to Google on their support page:

• All devices running Android 4.4.2 or higher support the Cast Screen feature. Please note: Some devices have been optimized for screen casting so your experience may vary.

It used to be that only certain devices could cast the screen, but I assume this means that all devices above 4.4.2 can now. I'm not sure how a device that hasn't been optimized for screen casting will behave, though.

That is totally right!

Chromecast works very well with Apps, which have implemented the Cast feature https://developers.google.com/cast/

Regarding screen mirroring: using chromecast you can do that without any special implementation. The only thing you need to do is install the Chromecast App. But my experience is not really great regarding the mirroring function on the Galaxy Note Tablets: nearly everytime the pircture freezes after some minutes. So I would not recommend it for this use case.

w2xq

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

After experimenting with the GN 10.1 2014 tablet on two TVs with an 8 mo old Roku Stick and a 1 mo old Roku 3, I'm convinced that the Samsung Allshare EAD-10 dongle is the easiest way to stream the tablet to the TV. Once I saw one of Roku devices on the tablet's Mirror choices, but it flashed up only once.

Now, my Samsung Galaxy S6 and both Roku devices played nicely together. Open the full quick settings panel, select Screen Mirroring and everything goes through the Roku to the TV. Amazingly easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret