04-08-2016 09:15 AM
66 123
tools
    WELL CRAP!
    I screwed up already. Started the backup, but forgot to put extSD card back in note. Its doing a back up, where will that store it, on my internal SD? what if there is not enough space on that?

guessing there is no way to stop a twrp backup already in progress huh?

GRRR
    04-04-2016 03:28 PM
    No, the Nandroid backup won't overwrite anything. Once you do the Nandroid backup, you can take out the card.

EDIT: Just saw your post, I think it probably will go internal. Hopefully, you will have enough room. It will probably fail if there is not enough room on the internal storage. Just wait for it to finish and then you can put the sd card in.

If it saves successfully to internal, you can put the sd card in and then you can move it to the sd card after it finishes.
    04-04-2016 03:57 PM
    UGHHHHH ok now Im getting upset, (mostly at myself)

So it went thru the whole backup , but it saved it *somewhere* on the internal storage, and now my internal storage is down to less than 1gb available.

HOW do I find where it stored it, and get rid of it so I can NOW do it on the extSD card?

Sometimes being old and senile really ticks me off

I found ONE folder that was related but deleting it did not seem to bring back my 6 gigs of internal space.
    04-04-2016 04:00 PM
    I am soo frustrated with myself right now I could scream!

Im doing another backup, onto the extSD card, but I sure would LOVE to know where the Hell my 6gb of available internal storage is hiding.

Anybody out there, have any idea, before I just give up and start drinking..
    (which I may do anyway)

HELPPPPPP , take pity on a poor crippled old lady
    04-04-2016 04:30 PM
    UGHHHHH ok now Im getting upset, (mostly at myself)

So it went thru the whole backup , but it saved it *somewhere* on the internal storage, and now my internal storage is down to less than 1gb available.

HOW do I find where it stored it, and get rid of it so I can NOW do it on the extSD card?

Sometimes being old and senile really ticks me off

I found ONE folder that was related but deleting it did not seem to bring back my 6 gigs of internal space.
    Check that TWRP folder...it should have created a subfolder called "backup". That's what it does on the sd card.
    04-04-2016 04:39 PM
    ya I did that, and the big file was there, I deleted it, I do NOT have recycle bin turned on, but it did not retrieve my storage, even after a reboot?

wth is going on?

oh, and again I REALLY appreciate your help, Im sure you have better things to do that help a senile old lady
    04-04-2016 04:49 PM
    ok this is getting more and more wierd and annoying.

So, if I use the stock My FIles I can actually see where all the files are that are hogging my storage. BUT if I use ES FIle explorer, and go to the same exact location, they do NOT show up.

Also, in My Files, I have no option to delete.
    04-04-2016 05:21 PM
    ES can get root access. "My Files" cannot. I never use My Files in any device. So, not sure how that is happening.

I haven't used ES in years so I'm not sure how to get root access. Someone else may have to help with that one. Sorry.
    04-04-2016 05:33 PM
    GOT THE LITTLE BUGGER!

something you said clued me. I thought my ES did have root perms, but for what every reason guess not. I don't know why I can see the files in the crappy Myfiles, but I know that's not root access.

But I went back into the recovery boot and in advanced options there is a file mgr. I was easily able to navigate and delete the 6gb of b/u files. Whew!

Now I have to see if I'm brave enough to attempt the wipe

But for now, heading out to dinner, pass the sangria, and thanks again for all your help
    tube517 likes this.
    04-04-2016 06:00 PM
    Have you tried wiping the cache partition? This works for the note 10.1 2014 too:

SOLVED: What Does WIPE THE CACHE PARTITION Do On Android Devices Like the Galaxy S6 - Up & Running Technologies Calgary
    ok so now that Ive solved my backup issue, I decided to re read this thread

the thing that I tried before was clearing the davlik cache, NOT the cache partition

So I decided to try that before doing a complete reset.

I went into the TWRP recovery mode, went to wipe, then advanced, and selected ONLY the cache partition

It took a few mintues, then rebooted, but after the blue ring around the word SAMSUNG, its just hanging..

Any idea what to do now?

I can reboot into recovery, but is there any way to get the tablet to actually boot up, or should I just consider this fail, and go ahead and restore the backup I have on the extSD card?

this has been a very frustrating day, with a tablet I have loved for so long, not happy.

Please help!

Thanks
    04-04-2016 09:48 PM
    ok im really desperate now wahhhhh

I can boot back into TWRP recovery, but when I try to restore, it is not reading anything on my extSD card.

I went to the mount menu, and the exdSD is checked.

but when I look at I guess is a log, it says

updating partition data
    E: unable to mount /cache
    Full SELinux support is present

if I try to select the cache partition to mount, it does not let me check it

AM I totally bricked at this point? or is there any hope of getting this to boot up again

Why does it not see my exdSD where my back up is?

What options do I have

Im sooo sad....

Please someone have pity on a cripple, senile old lady... wahhhh
    04-04-2016 10:08 PM
    From twrp screen try rebooting "system" instead of recovery. If that also fails, try the FDR but only insert your sd card after successfully getting the note running.

which version of twrp do you have? There were issues with 2.8.xx My trusty old note 10.1 2014 seems to be dying/aging-20160405_092934.jpg 3.0.0.0 works well on the note 10.1 2014.
    04-05-2016 03:46 AM
    From twrp screen try rebooting "system" instead of recovery. If that also fails, try the FDR but only insert your sd card after successfully getting the note running.

which version of twrp do you have? There were issues with 2.8.xx Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160405_092934.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	497.6 KB 
ID:	223480 3.0.0.0 works well on the note 10.1 2014.

I have version 2.7.11. I guessing I cant update to 3 at this point since I dont have a working tablet

tried system reboot, does the same thing. It starts to boot, I hear the music as the blue ring starts to circle SAMSUNG, but the music cuts off, the blue circle completes, then it just hangs with the white letters SAMSUNG hanging.

I guess my last option is the full wipe. When you say FDR you mean in the wipe menu, just swipe to Factory Reset? This will factory reset but NOT unroot, is that correct?
    After that is done, IF it boots, it will let me set it up from scratch? I will have to reset my gmail/google acct, all my apps, etc? All my data is safe on the extSD card and I will takei that out before doing it/ Ughhh any idea why the cache partition was not able to boot after the wipe of just that? Also why it cant see my backup on the extSD card?
    04-05-2016 08:14 AM
    ok this canot be good

started the factory reset, seemed like it was starting but the screen said something about that E: /cache again. the bar on the bottom showed some animation, but not really like a progress bar moving. It did that for just a few mintues, then rebooted to that same, screen, the SAMSUNG then just hung.

Am I just out of options here.?

Why cant it see the backup on my sd card? ( did remove the card before the reset attempt)
    04-05-2016 08:28 AM
    Factory reset wipes all you data off BUTdoes not remove root. So yes you will have setup your email accounts from scratch. As Tube said FDR=Factory Data Reset. Back to the present latest version of the OS that you had on the Note.
    04-05-2016 09:18 AM
    Factory reset wipes all you data off BUTdoes not remove root. So yes you will have setup your email accounts from scratch. As Tube said FDR=Factory Data Reset. Back to the present latest version of the OS that you had on the Note.
    I have kitkat

But the FDR did not work
    It went for a few minutes, then rebooted to the same hang screen

Any other ideas? Pleaseeeeeee
    04-05-2016 09:23 AM
    ok this canot be good

started the factory reset, seemed like it was starting but the screen said something about that E: /cache again. the bar on the bottom showed some animation, but not really like a progress bar moving. It did that for just a few mintues, then rebooted to that same, screen, the SAMSUNG then just hung.

Am I just out of options here.?

Why cant it see the backup on my sd card? ( did remove the card before the reset attempt)
    It can take quite a few minutes to totally restore after a FDR. There is no indication that android is actually restoring in the background. On a phone you would have a pulsing led but disconcertingly on the Note there is nothing to assure you it's restoring. How long did you leave it on the Samsung logo?
    04-05-2016 09:25 AM
    It can take quite a few minutes to totally restore after a FDR. There is no indication that android is actually restoring in the background. On a phone you would have a pulsing led but disconcertingly on the Note there is nothing to assure you it's restoring. How long did you leave it on the Samsung logo?
    Umm a few minutes? Should I leave it there for longer? There was no indication it was doing anything, and as this is the first time Im doing this I really had no indication it was doing anything.. Should I begin the FDR again, and let it sit at the SAMSUNG logo screen?

roughly how long? an hour? more?
    04-05-2016 09:32 AM
    Umm a few minutes? Should I leave it there for longer? There was no indication it was doing anything, and as this is the first time Im doing this I really had no indication it was doing anything.. Should I begin the FDR again, and let it sit at the SAMSUNG logo screen?

ok just tried the FDR again, went a few seconds now, and I get this:

Should I hit BACK, then reboot, then just wait?

My trusty old note 10.1 2014 seems to be dying/aging-resetnote1.jpg
    04-05-2016 09:40 AM

Between 7 and 10 minutes I'd say. Never really timed it but more than 2 minutes for sure...
    04-05-2016 09:41 AM
    Between 7 and 10 minutes I'd say. Never really timed it but more than 2 minutes for sure...
    Ughh so how is anyone supposed to know that?

Just sent the screen shot
    04-05-2016 09:44 AM
    OHHH OHHHH OHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got a NEW SCREEN , like a SETUP SCREEN??

What the heck happened............... maybe NEW HOPE!
    04-05-2016 09:47 AM
    OMG OMG OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

its BACK, its now downloading my apps, and I have a working fresh screen.

THANK YOU SOOOO much Bosbouer, and Tube , and everyone else who has tried to help.

I guess I have a fresh tablet, or will as soon as my apps load. I have to re org my home screens , but thats really the VERY least of my issues

being the analytic neurotic I am, still wondering why the recovery mode did not see my backup, and why they dont give SOME indication to wait, when the screen boots, and also why that error, unable to mount cache came up. But I guess there are some things we just wont know.. but Im feeling a GREAT sense or relief, thanks to this wonderful helpful forum
    tube517 likes this.
    04-05-2016 09:55 AM
    Good news indeed.
    04-05-2016 10:01 AM
    Oh, wow, I hope all went well. I was tweaking my own phone last night and fell asleep doing so lol
    04-05-2016 12:05 PM
66 123