My trusty old note 10.1 2014 seems to be dying/aging

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible for these tablets to slowly die from old age? ;) I say that sorta tongue and cheek, but it seems to explain what Im experiencing.

Tablet has gotten much slower, more lag than it used to. I am rooted, but only use a few of the root only options, most pen window and multi window additions. Many times it will just freeze up trying to load a web page, either in firefox, or chrome. I have to go to recent apps, and close all, to get it back to functioning.

Also, my battery life, now with my 6 month old new battery that was easily giving me 8 hours is now barely giving me 5.

Just a few other little things that have become either slow or annoying to the point where many times I have to do a complete shutdown and reboot to get it to function better.

I am currently alternating between my tablet and a chromebook which is much faster , but lacks the great functionality of things I can do with my tablet.

Any suggestions, other than a funeral?

How hard is it to do a factory reset, would that help, and would I need to unroot before doing that. Also, Im guessing that would bring me back to what? Jellybean? What would be my options to get back to either kitkat or the current? Or are there too many problems with marshmallow still?

Hope to see if there is hope, or if I am doomed. I SOOO love my note, but its frustrating me more now, and I want it young and healthy and vibrant like it used to be. hmm wait, am I talking about my tablet or my self? ;)

Thanks for any and all suggestions
Diane

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Ive done that a while ago, when I thought it was hogging up some of my internal memory. That turned out to be a sloppy written app called MegaCast, that would do on the fly encoding of video files to cast to chromecast. It stored like 9 gigs of pieces of video files. Now I know to go into that folder after using that app and deleting those file pieces

Thanks for trying tho....

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just take deep breath, and do the factory reset. It will breathe new life into your note 10.1 2014. Do not be tempted to reinstall from any of the options that google or Samsung offer you. Setup as "new device" at the prompt.

I have done factory resets often. These backups methods are now my std backups.

Pictures to Dropbox
Action memos and Spen notes synced with Evernote
Calendar to google
Contacts to gmail
Games I only have a few and they backup progress to own servers

Total reset to back and running 60 minutes max then I leave the note in peace to restore images and notes overnight.

Intall apps as and when you require them again.

Good luck

Spikes

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
You can do a factory data reset from recovery. I assume you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM?

Why unroot? No need to if you can do a full wipe from a custom recovery.

Unrooting and then doing a FDR will bring you back to the original settings and a slower OS.

Delete apps you don't use. I still have a very old Toshiba Thrive with a custom JB ROM and I slimmed down the apps and put Nova Launcher and it is still running like a champ. My wife uses it at work daily and it is still chugging along.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Only issue I have with restoring from a recovery image is that you restore everything including issues. I only make use of recovery images when trying out totally new roms from other sources than Samsung roms.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Only issue I have with restoring from a recovery image is that you restore everything including issues. I only make use of recovery images when trying out totally new roms from other sources than Samsung roms.

Not sure what you are referring to. I am talking about FDR's and wiping the device and maintaining root.

You can still backup data using the methods you mentioned.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so let me clarify. I can do a factory reset without unrooting? How can I tell if I have a custom recovery? I remember something about twrp from I when I did the rooting. How can I verify this?

The data is no problem, all my data, pics, vids, notes, etc are on my extSD card.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
20160404_095614.jpg

Ok sorry for crummy image, it's early and coffee not fully running in veins yet, but this is what I get on a power/volume up reboot.

Assumimg my data is safe, which option should I choose to reset without unrooting

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can definitely wipe and keep root. Custom recoveries are always recommended if rooting especially since many flash custom ROMs.

Here is an AC thread on your tablet and recoveries:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...14/434806-how-do-i-install-twrp-recovery.html

And, again, it's your choice to unroot. I'm only suggesting to keep your root and just wipe the tablet in recovery. Custom recoveries can wipe your tablet better than unrooting and doing a factory data reset.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok, you have TWRP.

Make sure everything is backed up

Press Wipe and then at the bottom do you see "Swipe to Factory Reset"? You can slide the slider and it will wipe data, Cache and dalvik cache.

Go back to the main screen and goto Reboot and then reboot System.

Your tablet will be wiped and you will have to set it up again just like a stock factory reset.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, encouraging. So doing this will totally reset device AND keep my root?

Hmm on last question. I remember when I had the running out of internal storage issue and I had to uninstall apps, I did uninstall the twrp app. Should that affect this process, should I reinstal this app first?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the app, guess that was the twrp manager.

Last question hopefully, I see there is a folder in the internal storage called twrp, it's empty, is this ok?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what that folder would be for on the internal storage. Have you made any nandroid backups?

not sure? I did some kind of backup thing, onto a flash drive, when I first went thru rooting, just to see the process, but I dont think I saved it, or have it anywhere

Should I be concerned about this folder, or is the whole TWRP recovery, stored in an unseen partition area?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about the internal folder. Does your tablet have an external sd card? I don't own this tablet so I'm not familiar with the specs.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have an external sd card where I keep all my data, pics, videos, ets

I suppose I should remove that before doing the wipe?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz