Note from 2014 shutting off when off power source

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading a lot of posts on power problems with the Note 2014 and came to realize there's a lot of smart people out there so I'm hoping you guys can help. None of the new tablets look enticing enough to want to spend money yet. I replaced the battery in my 2014. I've even had it checked out by a repair shop and they said the battery is fine. Ever since replacing the battery, whenever something begins to run and it's off of a power source the unit just shuts off. Sometimes it happens when I just swipe the screen but in all cases it only happens when off of a power source. The only way to restart it is to plug it in to a power source then turn it on. I even did a factory reset to see if that would clear up the problem and it has not. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
A couple of things...

Where did you buy the replacement battery? Was it from a respectable source? Can you return it for a replacement?
Did you disassemble and try to reseat all the connectors again?
Did you check the battery connector and the motherboard connector for the battery for cracks?
Does the battery meter on the tablet indicate a good charged percentage?

Just because the battery is new, doesn't mean it's any good. It's very possible for a battery to read a good voltage when measured with a meter, however, just because it does, doesn't mean it can source sufficient current to run the device. It's a good bet that as soon as you attempt to run your tablet on battery, the voltage drops below specs as current is drawn from it. I don't know how the repair shop checked the battery, but if they didn't measure the voltage while attempting to run the tablet, or test the battery with a load, they may not have done sufficient testing.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought two of the Note 2014 with similar problem: boot up to Samsung logo then restart or shutdown, another is a continuous reboot. They have more serious problem than yours as they even cannot run when connected to a charger.
From my experiences of various Samsung tablets, they all have the same common problem: cracked battery connector. However, the hairline cracks are not easily seen, even with microscope at 10X, a close up picture like this, you still don't see it

Weak Connector.jpg

However, I normal use a screw driver to gently push or lift it to test if it's moving under a microscope . The two I tested, one is moving, another is lift off easily. After re solder the battery connector, the two tablets are working fine . You should bring your tablet to a repair shop, disconnect the battery cable,
ask them to do a re work, it should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes. The rework can be done without removing the mainboard, you only need to take off the back cover and disconnect the battery.
Trust me, I bought not one , but dozens of Samsung tablets with similar problem like yours because I know exactly where the problem comes from.

Last edited:

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I am home tomorrow and will take it back to the repair shop to have another look at it. Your suggestions make sense, something has to be stopping the battery from working properly.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I am home tomorrow and will take it back to the repair shop to have another look at it. .

Be aware that not every repair shops know how to fix Samsung's tablet problems. I bought Samsung tablets from professionals, they sell them for parts because they don't know how to fix them.
However, you just tell them what need to be done as problem already identified.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, the repair shop said they couldn't find anything, even after giving them direction. I really need a tablet for my work and need to bite the bullet on this one. Guess I'm going to get a Tab S2 as cheap as possible in the hope that something better will be out next year.

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't have the old battery - it got tossed out by mistake. The repair place said they tested the battery and it is holding a charge and they said it's strong. They didn't have the ability to check for cracks. I'm going to try myself or look for someone who can repair it. It's a great tablet.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the Note 10.1 2014 is a very good tablet. Hard to find something better in this size, especially with an S-Pen and landscape display. You definitely should find some other repair shop to look at the tablet. I'm surprised the one you used didn't have rework scopes/soldering stations.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Well, the repair shop said they couldn't find anything, even after giving them direction. I really need a tablet for my work and need to bite the bullet on this one. Guess I'm going to get a Tab S2 as cheap as possible in the hope that something better will be out next year.
Trust me, guys that don't know well Samsung tablets will not find anything, I bought some Samsung tablets from guys doing computer services, they have no idea what was wrong, sold me some of them, it takes me only 10 minutes to fix each .
Look what I bought , I could take 7 of them with confidence as I know exactly what is causing problem
7  Note Pro.JPG

jfarinella

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
well, they gave it back to me with no result. I have the back off now and it's really hard to see if one of the solders are loose. My only option is to just solder all of the posts but I don't know if I can solder those tiny area's without getting any on the other terminals. I'm going to mess with it to see if anything is loose. They swear the battery is fine. They even took my battery out and replaced it with one of their own and the same problem persists. I've called around and there doesn't seem to be any locations here in the Phoenix area who does this kind of work - they all send it away.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
well, they gave it back to me with no result. I have the back off now and it's really hard to see if one of the solders are loose. My only option is to just solder all of the posts but I don't know if I can solder those tiny area's without getting any on the other terminals. I'm going to mess with it to see if anything is loose. They swear the battery is fine. They even took my battery out and replaced it with one of their own and the same problem persists. I've called around and there doesn't seem to be any locations here in the Phoenix area who does this kind of work - they all send it away.

You so need a huge self standing magnifying glass preferably with illumination, a very fine electric soldering bolt and steady hand. Perhaps Beut can post an image of his work bench setup and tools to help readers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC