Battery Issue

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive noticed lately my battery will drain to 0% and shut off however when I plug it in to charge, the battery will show around 45%. Is there a way to recalibrate or reset the battery gauge? Im on the wifi model.

Posted via the Android Central App

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I would suggest, that you turn your tablet off, and charge it for a minimum of 12 hours, while off. See if that helps. It's possible that the battery is damaged, this does happen from time to time, even with new batteries.

If after the 12 hour charge, its still acting up. I would try a factory reset of your device...and then try that method again; if it still doesn't work, I would recommend sending it in to Samsung Service Center.

Chris

Then, Never let it get below 40%....try to keep it between 40-80....occasionally letting it charge to 100%. Its possible, that the damage has already been done....if so, you'll need to replace the battery.

Chris

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Ive noticed lately my battery will drain to 0% and shut off however when I plug it in to charge, the battery will show around 45%. Is there a way to recalibrate or reset the battery gauge? Im on the wifi model.
It's a simple fix but need a soldering work.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-life-sucks-does-charging-5.html#post4483371

Your battery connector is barely connected to the mainboard due to cracked solder joints, battery's capacity jumps up and down is an obvious sign of loose connection, just like your lamp connected to a loose power outlet, it's on and off depending how you wiggle the power cord.

This is a flaw in most of Samsung tablets, the bigger screen size, the more like it has cracked battery connector but inspect the battery connector to see the crack is beyond the scope of most average users: most will see it looks normal like this one. However, it will move if gently push.

Cracked Battery Connector.jpg

Last edited:

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into it but not sure if thats the problem, perhaps I didnt explain it well enough. I use my tablet as normal, battery discharges fine, I get plenty of use on a full charge. After the battery reaches 0 and shuts off, I plug in the charger and the battery charging icon pops up and shows somewhere around 45% charged. It charges fine, doesnt take 10 hours or anything like that. I havent tried turning it on and unplugging the charging and using the tablet to see if I get normal use time on a "45% charged" battery or if it will drop to 0 quickly again. I am not using the Samsung charger, Im using an Insigna one. I know it puts out the higher output because it quick charges my Note 4. Could that be the problem? Because it puts out the extra juice it tricks the tablet into thinking the battery has more juice currently in it than it really does?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Android doesn't like when a device shuts down due to low power (0%), as evidenced by many threads about people losing data, or corrupting something and can't boot up, due to doing the exact thing you seem to be doing. Like H3aTeRzz stated, don't let it drop too low. Personally, I charge when the battery reads somewhere around 35%, and rarely lower. It could be your battery is just getting old, or has developed a dead cell or something... not sure exactly what's going on, so that's just a guess. As a reference, my 10.1 2014 can get over an hour of use and sometimes going as much as an hour and twenty minutes per 10% battery drain depending on my use. Even if I heavily use it, I'll get over 8 hours. If your tablet isn't getting these times, then I would guess your battery is simply aging and might need replacement.

As far as using the Insigna charger, the tablet determines what power it needs from the charger. It doesn't work the other way around where using a more capable charger will charge things faster. The Note 10.1 2014 doesn't have quick charge circuitry, so no matter which charger you use, the tablet sets the requirement, not the charger. The fact that it might seem it's charging quicker with the Insigna might mean your other charger can't seem to supply the needed power or it just got tired, or if it's not the charger that came with the tablet, it's underrated. I would tend to lean more to the fact that you're allowing your tablet's battery to fully discharge rather than it being the Insigna charger causing issues.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into it but not sure if thats the problem, perhaps I didnt explain it well enough.
Believe me or not, it's up to you. This kind of problem from this tablet, I have fixed not one but over hundreds of them, I just try to guide you to the right direction, not guessing solutions you'll see from other experienced users, know what to do with software problems but no real experiences how to fix or troubleshoot a hardware problem correctly. Let you experience with all advices you have got and you'll see which can help you to fix your problem.
I see many users stubbornly believe it's software problem and try all the magic to fix a broken connector.
This is an example, how a Samsung tablet can have a false reading of battery: disconnect your battery, connect your tablet to a charger, within 10 seconds the display will show the full charged green battery icon ( 100% ) as no current draw to the battery connector, the charging circuit thinks the battery is full.
This is the same with a cracked battery connector which has intermittent connection, one moment battery has 45% and the next it drops to 0%.

Last edited:

gonecks1

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Tried a factory reset since I was planning on sending it in for service. Shockingly that didnt work so it left for NJ today. Will post what the "official" ruling is.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Got it back today. They replaced the charging port. So far so good.
Don't be mislead by repair statement from Samsung repair center, they only report what parts are replaced in order to charge back to Samsung.
Repair centers are contractors who provide services on Samsung behalf and parts are supplied by Samsung. Battery drops from 45% to 0 is not related
to charging port, a rework or resolder is not a part, that's a reason it's not included in the repair statement sent to customer.
Every tablet returned to service under warranty, a repair center will replace anything is not full working condition regardless to the main issue.
Samsung or any other companies will never let a customer know what they did to fix a flaw in their products in a repair statement.
So don't expect Samsung to tell you they resolder your battery connector to fix the problem of quick discharge or anything related to battery issues.What a technician did in details usually is not sent to a customer.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63