Stuck on SAMSUNG after attempt cache wipe

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Been a while since posting here. Still crankin with my note. But lately, well actually for months it has been doing a few very weird and annoying things.

I'll be doing something like, browsing, or gmail and get a black pop up screen; xxxx app has stopped working. Sometimes is related to what I'm doing, sometimes not at all. It most frequently does it with google app or you tube app, even if I'm not using that app. Sometimes in the middle of doing something, like on Opera browswer, it will tell me Opera has stopped working. The only action that fixes it is a reboot.

And as long as I'm talking about issues, if I try to watch a video either on some website or facebook, the note just does a restart

Still love the device, but any input what can be causing these issues, or what I can try to do to correct them?

Thanks
Diane

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Various apps keep stopping

My note is rooted, so when I do that sequence, I get the teamwin screen, and no visible option to wipe cache. Am I missing anything?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not personally familiar with TWRP, but you should be able to select the cache only by selecting Wipe, then Advanced Wipe, as described here: The Ultimate Guide to Using TWRP: The Only Custom Recovery You'll Ever Need « Android Gadget Hacks. I'd start with the normal cache first, and if problems persist, try wiping the dalvik cache as well. See here for an explanation about the difference: Difference between Dalvik Cache vs Normal Ca… | Android Development and Hacking

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

ok found where to wipe cache. but not screen seems stuck on samsung logo grrrr

any idea what to do to get it to restart now?

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

went back into twrp and did power down, tried reboot, same thing.., starts to boot, gets to SAMSUNG and hangs

ARGGGG NOT HAPPY

Some one PLEASE HELPPPPPPP

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah phooey.:( Sorry -- I don't think the actual cache wipe was the cause of this, but rather it may have been unmasking some system problem that had been brewing for a while. Was all of your important data already backed up/synced? If so, you may have to try a factory reset from Recovery.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya I keep critical data on the ext sd.

But here is a wierd thing. I was almost gonna do a reset, but figured couldn't be any worse if I put the card back in. I had removed it after it would not come back after the wipe. So I put it back in, the the power off again from twrp, and huh! Booted back up.

All is right with the world again. Wonder what the hell happened?

Let's see now if those few hours of aggravation, helped my issues.

Thanks for trying to help.

Been a trying day between this, and helping my husband set up a new laptop with (gag) windows 10. Can MS make an OS any less intuitive? ;-) blechhh

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it's working again! But keep an eye out for worsening bugginess.

Get your husband a Chromebook! Problem solved. Just keep a Windows PC lying around somewhere when you absolutely have to use it.

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad it's working again? But keep an eye out for worsening bugginess.

Get your husband a Chromebook! Problem solved. Just keep a Windows PC lying around somewhere when you absolutely have to use it.

Ya I tried that, he hated it. I loved it and kept it. He is oldschool and is stuck on the big heavy winblows universe. Oh well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LOL winblows:p

Just wait until he starts to realize he's doing most everything within his browser. Then pounce again.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Ya and it's kinda funny, because his browser of choice is Chrome. But for now he is just gonna deal with the new pc and guess I'll have to unintuitively learn my way around w10

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Went through a period a few weeks ago where browse (Google Chrome) was mucking everything up but only on facebook.... Really though it was tablet about to die, killed Chrome and removed it, and reloaded Chrome and now it seems happy.... Maybe you have added a app recently that is not really compatible with the tablet or some other app...

Dale

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm so how would I go about determining which app it could be?

Btw now, even after the cashe wipe, still getting errors, mostly "google app has stopped"

And the only remedy is a reboot.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Went through a period a few weeks ago where browse (Google Chrome) was mucking everything up but only on facebook.... Really though it was tablet about to die, killed Chrome and removed it, and reloaded Chrome and now it seems happy.... Maybe you have added a app recently that is not really compatible with the tablet or some other app...

Dale

How can you remove chrome, it's a built in app, no?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problems came back? Unfortunately, the only way to pinpoint an app that's causing instability is usually to uninstall apps one by one and seeing if the problem goes away. Very tedious, I know.:-\

Not all devices have Chrome preinstalled as the stock browser. If it wasn't preinstalled, it can be uninstalled.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
well when I go into app manager, my only options for chrome is uninstall updates.
No option to uninstall the the app itself

Im thinking maybe my poor note is just dying :) As I also have problems when ever I pull up or click on a video either on a website, or on
facebook, or pretty much most of the time, the system just does a
"semi" restart

What I mean by that is, it never really shuts down and comes back, it just comes back to the lock screen and the only way I can clear it and get it back to working, is a hard reboot.

Im sad about this, but its so frustrating, Im finding I am spending more time on either my chromebook or (and I hate to admit this) a new windows 10 tablet/laptop convertible that I won in a raffle. It has its own issues with one of my favorite apps, but it never really crashes, or errors, at least not yet.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Before consider software problems, did you re solder the battery connector as recommended long time ago ?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes we did. The battery now fully charges and no more red x
In order to see which one is causing problem is factory reset or fresh install OS, then install apps one by one.
This is the only way to solve your problem as there are many apps running, nobody can solve this puzzle.
Fresh OS will help to see if it's hardware or software problem, this is a common practice in every repair center.
If everything is the same with fresh OS, it's time to change the mainboard.