When in facebook and you wish to add a photo or graphic using a Android device (from browser CHROME or Firefox) what is procedure... When I hit the icon for add a picture address (URL) in facebook, it pops up three choices and NONE do what I want to do.... Which is just paste image address on a "input" line and enter return...

Adding Photo In facebook...-facebook.jpg

Dale
    08-11-2017 05:58 PM
    That's because that's not how it works. That icon is just to add a media file, not a link. For links, just paste it on the comment field. Once you hit 'ENTER' FB will fetch the link preview and attach it to the comment.
    08-11-2017 06:32 PM
    BUT.... It only shows up on FB as a link, NOT as a Graphic... Links I know about, but on PC Browser It can be done and it will show as any third party hosted graphic (except for Photobucket)...

Dale
    08-11-2017 07:19 PM
    I just tried it on mine and it works. As long as the link has a valid path and the site doesn't block preview fetching, it works just as posting a link on PC.

You can also open Facebook on Chrome and ask it to display the Desktop version for a more 'familiar' design/functionality (Firefox, I assume, should have a similar feature)
    08-12-2017 12:04 AM
    Unfortunately it's not working for me as you describe, when I click on the facebook camera icon I get these three options, Camera, Camcorder, Document which all require "media file" to be in tablets storage.... There is no place where I can just paste third party media URL ... Image shows options available to me.... And I always use desktop mode... Mobile mode really sucks....

Adding Photo In facebook...-screenshot_2017-08-12-07-54-10.png

Dale
    08-12-2017 10:07 AM
    Like I said, that button will NOT accept links. That button is only for attaching ACTUAL MEDIA. If you want to attach an image from a link, you can only paste it in the comments field (not the camera icon), and FB will fetch the preview image from that link if valid and not blocked by the source. The camera icon will always ask for a file, thus, you'll see the menu options you see now.
    08-12-2017 12:21 PM
    But in windows it will accept a URL of image/media file if it has correct third party address.... WHY DOES NOT ANDROID act the same way.... A image address in comment field of facebook will NOT display a image and users have to click on address to see image and that IS NOT what I want.... Why can there not be a "command line" type field where I can paste a valid address in so I can actually properly display the third party address image in facebook.... Most hated windows can do it why is Android worse at this than windows...

Dale
    08-12-2017 03:35 PM
    I honestly don't know what you're doing or why it's not showing up for you, but I've been able to insert an image from a link by just typing it in the comments in a Windows PC, on the FB Android app, on FB's mobile site on Chrome, and on FB on Chrome in Desktop Mode. They all show the image preview after I submit the link.

In case you want to try it out, this is the link I've pasted into all my test comments.
    https://i.vimeocdn.com/portrait/58832_300x300
    08-12-2017 04:00 PM
    Update: OK, I think I know, now, what you're trying to do. I feel bad for not figuring it out earlier, though. Yes, in Windows when you tap that camera button you CAN paste a link and then attach the picture. But not really.

OK, so first things first. The dang camera button. That's only for actual media files. That doesn't change for Windows or Android or the app. It will prompt you to attach and actual media file, not a link like what you can do in the comments (where you paste the link and FB attaches the preview, but not the actual picture). With me so far?

Right, now why on Earth can I use the camera icon on Windows and paste a link and get the image? Well, that's on Windows. NOT FB, not an app, not a special service: WINDOWS. And you're not inserting an image from the link, either. Since the Windows File Explorer is linked to their web explorer by design (since you can enter addresses to navigate FTPs, servers, etc.), when you tap the camera button on FB it prompts Windows Explorer for you to select a file, just like you are seeing on Android, but you're seeing Android's File Explorer to select a file. Difference is, that on the Windows Explorer, when typing in a link instead of an address on your computer, Windows will automatically download the picture/file to your computer and THEN attach the actual file to FB...because it already downloaded it to your computer, not because it's just fetching it from the link.

I hope I wasn't too convoluted or hard to read, but that's why things aren't working the way you expect them to... but it's not FB's fault, it's the way the file explorer used per system works.
    08-12-2017 04:07 PM
    Not convoluted and yes you finally have handle on my conundrum... In windows I can copy a image address say from Google Images, tap facebook camera and it will bring up the windows file manager screen.... Sure ... And I can paste the address of image, (not the actual file but image address where file is located)...And it will load file from that address, windows and facebook are to dumb to understand third party address, it just does it.... But Android requires the file to be uploaded from android device(storage)... Many times I use a image in my flikr account or off google images as examples (third party address) to show/demonstrate something and yes concept works fine for windows when I am on my PC, but not from ANDROID when I am away from pc and on tablet... The "file manages" in android sort of sucks in that concept...

This is what window does and where Android fails...

Adding Photo In facebook...-winders.jpg

Yes I could store some images on tablet, but many times subject matter may be different than images I have stored, hence going to GOOGEL Images for examples and using third party addressing method.... So storing 1000 images on tablet for something I may never use is sort of impractical and extra unnecessary steps...

Dale
    08-12-2017 05:56 PM
    Well, just bear in mind that Windows IS downloading the image from the link to your computer. It's NOT loading from the target server... it is downloading the file first and then uploading that copy to FB. The only step Windows is saving you is manually saving the image to your Android device, but make no mistake, Windows isn't uploading the image from the server: it is doing so from a downloaded copy in your computer.

Android is only connected to cloud services (Google Photos, Dropbox, etc.) but doesn't automatically download images from links in its file explorer (because it's looking for a file, not a web/server address, like Windows, which is meant to do so, does).
    08-12-2017 08:50 PM
    Really don't care if windows is downloading file the upload into facebook in one easy motion.... It accomplishes the task.... Android wont so now I have to find the source file, download it to tablet, and then go to facebook tap camera icon and find file in "documents" in android, then upload newly saved download and then delete file from android...... What a pain....

Dale
    08-13-2017 12:25 AM
    Well actually, it's more on the Facebook app rather than Android. I mean the app on this forum can insert an image in line into the posts.

So if the app for this site, can, Facebook should be able to as well. But the devs are lazy. For some reason they even removed the ability to look at the gallery for albums.
    08-13-2017 12:33 AM
    Well actually, it's more on the Facebook app rather than Android. I mean the app on this forum can insert an image in line into the posts.

http://images.google.com.ph/imgres?i...source=sh/x/im

So if the app for this site, can, Facebook should be able to as well. But the devs are lazy. For some reason they even removed the ability to look at the gallery for albums.
    You can on FB if you insert the link in the comments. But the OP wants to attach the actual file, not the link + preview like FB does (the forums do fetch the image from links on the server side, so no matter what platform you're using, you get the same). But the OP wants the file manager behavior of FB on Windows to be the same on Android, but that's not app-dependent as the file manager is purely OS dependent.

As for the Gallery changes in the FB app, that's more to do with FB's product placement and UI unification than anything else.
    08-13-2017 01:12 AM
    Really don't care if windows is downloading file the upload into facebook in one easy motion.... It accomplishes the task.... Android wont so now I have to find the source file, download it to tablet, and then go to facebook tap camera icon and find file in "documents" in android, then upload newly saved download and then delete file from android...... What a pain....

Dale
    I'd disagree, but obviously this is a big nuisance for you. On mobile, downloading any image left and right would cause your memory to fill up quite quickly... on a PC, you usually don't notice because you usually use Windows on devices with enough memory, but Windows will not delete the file after it downloaded it, so yeah, I would care if Windows is downloading the file onto my computer or not. But that's just me.

Again, you can always just paste the link into the comments and FB will attach the file preview, a fair compromise IMHO, but again, up to you if you want to take it as such. If this means that much to you, then I'm afraid Android (or mobile OSs for that matter, iOS works the same way) is just not for you.
    08-13-2017 01:17 AM
    The tablet and it operating system is a great thing it and works very for what I want.... All I was asking was for a possible work around of what I perceived a short coming of way operating system handled this one issue....

I have tried Android Facebook apps and they all seem to have some good points and some left out features developers do no use so the are not aware of so they are less the fully functional....

Actually Generic browsers like Chrome and Firefox work better than most of the specific facebook apps I have tried....

Thank you for the clarifying the short coming of the Op System but you opinion of tablets and mobile computing may not be for me is wrong...

Dale
    08-13-2017 08:43 AM