'Tap to Translate' function on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet non-functioning

ginlane

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi there, please can someone help me,
So on my Galaxy phone, in many apps I can highlight a word or phrase, and a "Tap to Translate", Google translater window opens and shows me my translation.
However I cannot seem to be able to make this happen on my recently bought, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet. I have enabled everything that should be enabled in the Google translate app, but still no joy! My new tablet makes me laboriously copy a word or phrase and then open Google translate, and paste it!
I have messed around with this for hours today with no joy. It's important as I'm learning German and the Tap to Translate function is very useful to me!
I add 2 links to screenshots for more info, one is what tap to translate looks like on my phone, (what I would like to achieve on my tablet)! The other is the 'about device' details of my Samsung Galaxy tablet device.
http://tinypic.com/r/2945bv5/9
http://tinypic.com/r/2lcxmye/9

I would really appreciate some help to figure out how to access this function.
Kind regards ginlane

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you highlight the text, tap the 3 vertical dot button that you see in the little window that shows up. Do you see Translate there?

On your tablet, when you open the Google Translate app and tap Menu>Settings, you've already turned on Tap to Translate, right?

ginlane

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,
thank you for getting back to me.
Welcome to Android Central! When you highlight the text, tap the 3 vertical dot button that you see in the little window that shows up. Do you see Translate there?
So there is no 3 vertical dot button that comes up.
Only a tab bar at the top of the screen, with options for, copy, share, select all, web search.
I add a Tinypic screenshot to show you what you can see. Screenshot Pictures, Screenshot Images, Screenshot Photos, Screenshot Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
I have circled in red the piece of text which is highlighted the translation, I have indicated by a red star the tab bar that comes up top, also I have circled in red at the bottom of the screen the word, which when you click it opens up a new browser window for that item.
Kind regards ginlane

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be a limitation of the Android version the tablet is running -- is it on Lollipop? The lowest version I have on any of my devices is Marshmallow (and it works there), so I can't test it out on Lollipop. Let me ask around.

ginlane

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi again,
Thank you for all your help. Yes I am running, Android 5.1.1 which I believe is Lollipop. Is there any way to update to a newer version, incorporating the new translate feature?
Kind regards Prem

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like 5.1.1 was the highest official update the tablet got: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-note-101/SM-P600/. To get anything higher, you'd have to root the device and install a custom ROM designed specifically for that device. I don't have any experience with that, but you could search the forums at XDA-developers.com, which is a good resource for that kind of thing.

ginlane

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi again B. Diddy,

Thanks for your information, I guess I'm stuck then. I won't root the device as I had 2 failed and ultimately, inconvenient/expensive experiences rooting a phone last year, something I don't relish trying again. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty