loosing battery when tablet is powered off

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
After 5 years of usage I noticed that battery is discharging to like maybe 5 % per day,when the tablet is off.
A month ago I bought a new battery,replaced with local technician but again same problem.
What I noticed is when I turn on the tablet date and time are messed up,usually back at 2019.
I went to local cell store and asked the techinican what can he do,he said probably power chip is messed up and that there is nothing that can be done.
If someone had same problem please guys reply what did you do,or help me resolve this issue,cuz I don't need better/new tablet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's possible could be battery or the chip but being you replaced the battery a month ago and tablet 5 years old I'm sure the battery replacement are old also sitting on the shelf . Me personally would move on from this tablet as it has a old operating system and going run into issue with not able use apps for old operating system . You can always get a 2nd opinion by taking another technician to check it out but like I mentioned be better to move on from it but it's your choice.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It's possible could be battery or the chip but being you replaced the battery a month ago and tablet 5 years old I'm sure the battery replacement are old also sitting on the shelf . Me personally would move on from this tablet as it has a old operating system and going run into issue with not able use apps for old operating system . You can always get a 2nd opinion by taking another technician to check it out but like I mentioned be better to move on from it but it's your choice.

you haven't been much of a help,would you buy me one?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How much help do want me give to a 5 year old tablet that you replaced the battery already and technician Said you need a chip? , get a second opinion , but my biggest help to you is move on from this troubled 5 year old device , everything has a limit.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
How much help do want me give to a 5 year old tablet that you replaced the battery already and technician Said you need a chip? , get a second opinion , but my biggest help to you is move on from this troubled 5 year old device , everything has a limit.

why would I,if it can get repaired?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This is a tongue-in-cheek response, right? How is mustang7757's response not much help? He already gave you the best advice you can get for an old device like that with a failing battery or possibly failing motherboard.

Your device is getting quite old, with an obsolete OS version. Before too long, you'll start seeing more and more apps becoming incompatible with Lollipop, and there are most likely a number of security flaws that were never patched on that thing. I heartily agree with mustang7757's suggestion to move on to a more current device.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
why would I,if it can get repaired?

It's very unlikely you can get it repaired. If the battery didn't fix it you are looking at replacing the motherboard, which is basically everything. It includes your soc, ram, storage, etc. These devices are designed with obsolescence in mind and only certain parts are easily replaced/repaired.

Then there is the fact others pointed out, the device is no longer supported or secure. The hardware is so outdated that besides the screen even Samsungs new entry level tablets are better in evey way. I can't personally recommend spending money to fix something obsolete when it may very well cost you more than replacing it.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Launched nearly 6 1/2 years ago with 2013 hardware in it. I'm surprised it still turns on.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't need new tablet and new OS's...I used this tablet to read pdf books and magazines,fo that I don't need brand new tablet.
I haven't asked for an advice to buy new tablet,I asked for technical opinion what could drain the battery when it's off.
To buy a new tablet advice would give me a child 12 y old.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't need new tablet and new OS's...I used this tablet to read pdf books and magazines,fo that I don't need brand new tablet.
I haven't asked for an advice to buy new tablet,I asked for technical opinion what could drain the battery when it's off.
To buy a new tablet advice would give me a child 12 y old.
When it comes to phones and tablets, it's simply not feasible to repair them after a few years in most cases. Repair costs can be very expensive compared to simply replacing the device. Heck, it may not even be possible to source reliable parts anymore for yours. Most repairs are not DIY, so would you rather pay for a repair service on a tablet that is obsolete and a ticking time bomb for other failures, or spend the same money or less on replacing the device? If you go with a used tablet, I'm sure you could get a newer one in good condition for much less than repairing this one. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's simply throwing money down the drain to repair yours.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
OP, if you are in UK, got to the phone shop where Sorin from the YT channel "Electronics Repair School" works. He is, based on his videos, far better than most technicians and likes to do board level kludge repairs all day long.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This is common defect of Samsung tablet, the fix is easy but requires technical skill to solder. Most technicians have no knowledge of this issue, just change a new battery but the new one and old one have the same issue of loose connection.
Read this post to understand the problem:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=879000&p=6345188&viewfull=1#post6345188

As long as battery connectors get fixed, your tablet can run until the mainboard is dead. I have fixed hundreds of them so I am really confident how to fix this issue.
If you don't understand the root cause of problem, anything else is just an uneducated guess.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't understand the root cause of problem, anything else is just an uneducated guess.

After 5 years of use, the battery is almost certainly shot. If replacing the battery, sure, check the connections, but I still stand by mine and the others recommendation of replacing the tablet in this case. The cost to repair it, and the fact any "new" battery is old stock that's also likely bad by now, just makes it not worth attempting.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After 5 years of use, the battery is almost certainly shot. If replacing the battery, sure, check the connections, but I still stand by mine and the others recommendation of replacing the tablet in this case. The cost to repair it, and the fact any "new" battery is old stock that's also likely bad by now, just makes it not worth attempting.
I agree with that

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
It’s fixable or doesn’t depending on your technical skill or understanding.
I bought many tablets people think they’re junks and making profits for an easy fix.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Spring from the YouTube channel Electronics Repair School would likely have OP's tablet fixed in a pinch as I mentioned before... He should start doing mail-in repairs LOL

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Bought my SIL as new Lenovo 10. 1 inch tablet with latest android for $119 at christmas time...Cheaper than new battery for Samsung....

IF battery and motherboard are failing , just get long extension cord and keep it powered up.... Whining that it's not what you want to do to fix it isn't going to help...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781