Note 10.1 accessories?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a 64GB micro SDXC Class 10 card, HDMI adaptor, and travel charger for my Note 10.1. Someone, please stop me before I buy more.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I ended up picking up the universal desktop dock (the Samsung one) along with the Belkin tri-fold case. I like the case (am considering modifying it to allow removal of the s-pen without having to pop that corner out of the case), and the dock is perfect for a stand in the instances where I need it.

I'm still on the fence about waiting for the official keyboard dock ... or if I should just snag a keyboard dock that's already on the market. Decisions, decisions. I just wish Samsung had an ETA on that keyboard -- at least then I'd know if I have the patience to wait or not. It's a damn good thing I'm pretty speedy at typing on screen, or else I'd be dying already!

Why is it so much trouble to release accessories at the same time as a device is launched? Ugh!

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The screen protector I purchased at Best Buy AND had installed, Zagg, is horrible with the S-pen. You really have to put a lot of pressure on it to have a continuous line. I can get a refund for the protector but NOT the 15 dollar installation that I thought was a good buy at the time! BTW, after doing some searches on our screen I couldn't confirm that it's gorilla glass. Last night I spoke to Samsung customer service about syncing and asked him about the surface. He said it's just listed as glass, not gorilla glass. He suggested it have a screen protector. I told him about the drag on the Zagg screen protector with the S pen and he said that Zagg is an approved protector, they'll usually have a list of ones that don't work well for different devices so he wrote up my problem to pass along. He hasn't had any experience with the S pen, the tablet support center haven't seen the Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1 yet! I also asked him to pass along that many of us are frustrated at the lack of accessories and the delay in getting the manual out. I don't know how much good that will do, but it made me feel better.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The screen protector I purchased at Best Buy AND had installed, Zagg, is horrible with the S-pen. You really have to put a lot of pressure on it to have a continuous line. I can get a refund for the protector but NOT the 15 dollar installation that I thought was a good buy at the time! BTW, after doing some searches on our screen I couldn't confirm that it's gorilla glass. Last night I spoke to Samsung customer service about syncing and asked him about the surface. He said it's just listed as glass, not gorilla glass. He suggested it have a screen protector. I told him about the drag on the Zagg screen protector with the S pen and he said that Zagg is an approved protector, they'll usually have a list of ones that don't work well for different devices so he wrote up my problem to pass along. He hasn't had any experience with the S pen, the tablet support center haven't seen the Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1 yet! I also asked him to pass along that many of us are frustrated at the lack of accessories and the delay in getting the manual out. I don't know how much good that will do, but it made me feel better.

I'll be honest with you -- I've sworn off Zaggs on my tablets now. I used to put a Zagg on everything, but I found it interferes with some activities, especially on my tablets. I also think that Zagg has altered its materials since I first started buying them. The last couple I've applied have been more roughly textured and thus cause everything and anything to stick to them. Annoying.

I don't know about the gorilla glass thing, but I've been using my Note without a screen protector, because I figured a protector might interfere with the pen. I think if I were going to go that route, I'd go for a thin, smoother dry install one -- the bonus here being they tend to be cheaper and easier to install, so if you hate it or it interferes with use, you won't have wasted a ton of $$ in the process.

I believe there are discussions on screen protectors on the Note specifically -- it's probably time to check those out if you're worried about scratching the glass.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, I ended up picking up the universal desktop dock (the Samsung one) along with the Belkin tri-fold case. I like the case (am considering modifying it to allow removal of the s-pen without having to pop that corner out of the case)

Do you have it in the case upside down? My Belkin Tri-fold has a hole for the S-pen.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh my.. I'm glad you guys posted about the cutout in the Belkin case -- indeed in the beginning, I had the Note in the case upside down, and didn't see the cutout for the pen. About a day ago, I re-positioned the tab in the case and now see the hole there. HA!

And in case anyone actually thinks Belkin just changed the name on the case packaging -- not possible. The Note is wider than the Tab 2 10.1, and thus would not fit in that case ;).

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi there can anyone tell me whether the Note would read from an external hard drive.? It would be great if it did, I would get rid of my horrible Dell netbook. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: J HighNote

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If it will read from a thumb drive, and you get the USB adaptor, and I can't see a reason why not.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
A thumb drive is a flash drive and i imagine it would work for a portable harddrive that has its own power supply butt i do not have the cable to try..

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thumb drive equals memory stick. The adaptor makes it possible to use a USB cable to connect to another device via its USB port. I have not tried it on a tablet but I saw the Note 10.1 connected to a memory stick via the Samsung USB adaptor in a review video in which they were able to connect a game controller to play GTA.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but what's a thumb drive?

Have you ever tried connecting your tablet to an external hard drive?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

I'm glad you asked this. And I'd like to add another question because I'm new to android and oblivious to much that is possible, whether files are on a flash drive or an external hard drive, wouldn't they be in windows format and would any android be able to read that? Thanks for asking about this Tricia!

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The external drive will work if the format is FAT, FAT32, or exFAT.
It will not work with NTFS.
All of which Windows 7 supports.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
To be clear though....I am disappointed that there are very few Apps that can be installed to, or keep data, on the built in sd card. Samsung decided not to include the "move apply to sd card" feature from what I can find.

Not sure what you have on an external drive, but I use Dropnox for everything and only external hdd for infrequently accessed files.

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
To be clear though....I am disappointed that there are very few Apps that can be installed to, or keep data, on the built in sd card. Samsung decided not to include the "move apply to sd card" feature from what I can find.

Not sure what you have on an external drive, but I use Dropnox for everything and only external hdd for infrequently accessed files.
Don't blame Samsung - Google has not included that since Honeycomb.
To the newer Android OS's the SD card is just additional memory to add onto the existing device memory.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Note phone. Best buy put a zagg protector on it because i was supposed to get a free minor accessory for the device. I got the note home and started playing with the s pen. Couldn't have been more than a minute or two before i pulled it off. I was pressing the s pen into the zagg so hard just to get the note to respond that i was leaving lines in the zagg.

Won't do that again.

As for gorilla glass or not, i believe in a video made for the note tab, it is mentioned that it is gorilla glass. I can't check their webpage right now, but it may say on the device's specification page.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't blame Samsung - Google has not included that since Honeycomb.
To the newer Android OS's the SD card is just additional memory to add onto the existing device memory.

Interesting, my razr Maxx with ICS has the functionality? Go into settings/Alps and there is a big button "move to sd card'