64 GB micro sd card?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When you install the micro SD card, with the screenside up, which way do the contacts face?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was not able to format my 64 GB sdxc card in my pc. I have the US version of the Note 10.1 32 GB tablet. Can I use the one in my GS3 or I'd there another way to format it so that it works?

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried putting your new 64 gig in your GS3 to format it, then move it over to the Note?

My 64 gig is out for delivery and my Note has the OS software from before last week's OTA, so I don't expect my Note to be able to format the 64 gig. I'm going to try it, but then my next resort will be to put it in my Rezound and format it there. My Rezound formatted and works just fine with the 64 that I already have in it....

jlschulz

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Windows will not natively format the fat32 past 32gig. You have to go out and download one of the many free apps out there that allow it. I did it for my Xoom and when I got my Note 10.1 I pulled the card from the xoom and put it in and it read immediately with all the movie and music files still in tact. Reads full 64 gig.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you have the OTA that came out last week, but is no longer available.

I got my 64 gig card today. I put it in my Note and immediately got a notification that my SD card is now safe to remove. When I would go into Settings / Storage and choose Mount SD Card, it would say the same thing again.

I put the SD in my Rezound, did an Erase SD, then put it back in the Note and it immediately showed up as the correct size. It is now being loaded with all 5000+ tracks in my iTunes library.

I don't actually know what file system my Rezound formatted it to. How can I tell (without taking it out and putting it in my laptop)?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It would appear that the US version does not support that format. Otherwise, my GS3 64 GB sdxc card should have worked. When I inserted it in my laptop, the format was exFat.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Both the US and Intl version work fine after the update. I have a 64gb in both. If you are having problems you either have a corrupt card or might want to try formatting it in another Android device before putting it in you tab.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have this card and I was able to get it to work, but you HAVE to format it on your computer to fat32 in order for the card to mount.

First, I put the card fresh out of the package into the Note 10.1 and it said "preparing the SD card", but it never actually mounted the card, thus I couldn't format it properly in the device. I have this same card in my Galaxy S3 and all I had to do was put it into the phone and it worked immediately ... of course I went ahead and reformatted the card using the phone because it's always best to format it in the device. Anyway, I put the new card into my phone and formatted it with the phone and then tried it in the Note 10.1. By default, the Samsung S3 formats it to exfat. Again, the Note 10.1 didn't mount the card. I even called SamsungTech Support and we repeated everything, even resetting the device. Finally I read off all details of the card and the tech told me that the tablet cannot use a 64GB card - that when they say up to 64GB, they mean the TOTAL storage (internal + external) is 64GB, so I figured I was out of luck and would now have a 64GB card that I couldn't use.

I decided to look around the web again - I couldn't have been the only one that thought that it would take a 64GB card. I finally found the answer: I formatted it to fat32 on my PC (Win7-64) using the fat32 program that I downloaded here: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

It formatted quickly and when I put it in the Note 10.1, it mounted and read the correct memory size. So yes, this 64GB card does seem to work. I have not yet confirmed that it will actually hold the full capacity of the card - it will take a while to copy that much data to the card to test it, but it does appear to be OK at this point.

BTW, the card is now listed on Amazon for $49 when supplied by Amazon (you have to check the additional listings on the card to get the one direct from Amazon), but it looks like it may be backordered.

This worked SUPERBLY! I googled a few other solutions, but none were as simple as this one! Thanks for sharing!

Gordon Flash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I signed up for just this fix ..and that was worth it .. 4 hours of pain in the neck solved in 5 minutes .. read the text, clicked the link (ok, pain have to sign up) clicked the link above and format the card .. so simple .. Thanks HeyBeerMan TX !!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you install the recent update, you will then be able to install the 64 GB card.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC