Smart cover?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just read a review of the Note 10.1 and the reviewer knocked the cover because it didn't cause the tablet to turn off when you close it.

Are there ANY covers for the Note 10.1 that will do that?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
There is actually an app in the Play Store titled "Smart Cover" which allows you to do the same exact thing with any flip cover case.

I used it my Note 5.3, and it really worked very well. You might want to give it try. I eventually uninstalled it, but only because I went to a non flip style case for the 5.3. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Reactions: J HighNote

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, DAS. I will check that out.

But, it still doesn't actually answer my question. I THINK the answer to my question is "no, there are no covers that do that." But, the way the reviewer wrote his comment it made it sound like there is.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that magnets interfere with the S-Pen and the proximity sensor used for palm rejection. If true, this would explain the lack of a smart cover.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There is actually an app in the Play Store titled "Smart Cover" which allows you to do the same exact thing with any flip cover case.

I used it my Note 5.3, and it really worked very well. You might want to give it try. I eventually uninstalled it, but only because I went to a non flip style case for the 5.3. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Wow, that's nifty. I'll get that for my 5.3 too! Thanks!

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've seen several reviews today that just read like they were looking for anything they could find at fault. Mostly the plastic. Of course if it was five pounds of titanium, they'd probably be happy to complain about that too. And yes magnets are bad, very bad! I had a problem with a magnetic catch in the case for my 5.3, it created a perfectly square dead zone until it had been open for a while and then it would be okay. For a long time I just thought it was an odd glitch until I narrowed it down to being the perfect shape from the strap. I would definitely stay away from anything magnetic. I cut the magnet out and put velcro on instead and haven't had a dead zone since. I love the way I can write on the tablet, it's a dream! I didn't think anything could be better than the Note 5.3, and now there is!

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I had a look. I was a bit surprised to see that it costs $1.something. Thought about buying it anyway, but read a review that pointed out that it doesn't seem to work very well in low light situations. I got the impression that it tends to turn the tablet (or device) off if there's no ambient light. I use my tablet often to read (in bed) with no lights on, so that seems like this app would end up being more trouble than it's worth, even if it were free.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Besides, a magnet would just mean that the note tab would have to be included in apple's lawsuit as an infringing technology to iPad patents.

We don't want to see any more of those, do we.

Lolz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Besides, a magnet would just mean that the note tab would have to be included in apple's lawsuit as an infringing technology to iPad patents.

We don't want to see any more of those, do we.

Lolz.

If that's the case, then Google/Asus will be getting a letter soon because the Nexus 7 uses magnets to turn the device on/off if you have a cover that includes them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy